ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Ohio State

I don’t disagree. For those that competed, trying to get the ride out (think Dean) is incredibly compelling. For those we drag kicking and screaming with us to watch our sport, it’s boring as hell.
The drop to a single and finish ride from top is an epidemic, especially at 97. Ferrari uses it all the way to a title, Warner uses it too. The sport needs to figure out a way to stop that.

A Penn St fan rooting against Iowa

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hotshoe
Thoughts from some of the PSU/MI dual….
I turned it on at 197 and first thought was Dean is a small 97 and he was getting torched on his feet by Brucki. Not a lot of margin for error. If seeded 2nd today I think he underperforms his seed.

Kerk looks good. Did I hear right he was the number one overall recruit in 2019? Gotta give PSU credit they put more top 5 overall recruits in their line-ups each year at NCAA’s and I don’t think it’s even close.

As for Iowa….hard to know what to make of last nights dual. Marinelli got sucker dragged holding on for the win. Pretty easy to learn from that. Murin looked good against Sasso but again the last second turn of events needs to be learned from. Can Iowa’s seasoned veterans help the team put together a final run for the title? I think that’s the question of the season for Iowa fans.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree. For those that competed, trying to get the ride out (think Dean) is incredibly compelling. For those we drag kicking and screaming with us to watch our sport, it’s boring as hell.
Dean was actively trying to get points, Suriano was not.

Reactions: dunkej01
What are you even talking about. Top of the page had the post. I dont watch mainstream news, stuff creates morons lmao
What am I talking about? You whining about an unsubstantiated stupid post. So let's be honest, while we're here. Marinelli's career, based on his yearly rankings, and the hype from your board, has obviously been very disappointing. Does that mean he's been overhyped? I don't know, but he sure as hell has been on your board.

^^^^True. I have a dog and she teaches me new things everyday. You have to be willing to evolve and learn:) the other day she got in the back of the vehicle while the lift gate was going up a d bumped her head. Later that day I held her back on her jump in until the lift gate was all the way up.

I turned it on at 197 and first thought was Gabe Dean is a small 97 and he was getting torched on his feet by Brucki. Not a lot of margin for error. If seeded 2nd today I think he underperforms his seed.

Kerk looks good. Did I hear right he was the number one overall recruit in 2019? Gotta give PSU credit they put more top 5 overall recruits in their line-ups each year at NCAA’s and I don’t think it’s even close.
You and Byers should go watch some post apocalyptic Mel Gibson/Charleze Theron movies.

Gabe: beat Ed at the Scuffle, then lost to Bo
Max: Is gonna be the smallest 197 champ since Bo

Kerk was definitely #1 overall. If anyone was shocked by last night’s result, they haven’t been paying attention.

Reactions: nitlion6
I turned it on at 197 and first thought was Dean is a small 97 and he was getting torched on his feet by Brucki. Not a lot of margin for error. If seeded 2nd today I think he underperforms his seed.

As for Iowa….hard to know what to make of last nights dual. Marinelli got sucker dragged holding on for the win. Pretty easy to learn from that. Murin looked good against Sasso but again the last second turn of events needs to be learned from. Can Iowa’s seasoned veterans help the team put together a final run for the title? I think that’s the question of the season for Iowa fans.
When you wrestle a lot of close matches, one mistake and you lose. Your right, Marinelli probably learns from the drag, problem he will have is most likely Kharchla will not get ridden for over a minute in the next match. That sets up, who gets the TD at the end or in SV. Alex will be having flashbacks to NCAA losses in the past.

Reactions: nitlion6
Say it ain't so, but I've been seeing Iowa fans on HR and on this board using the F word!!

Certainly possible. Dean was also behind Bulsak of Rutgers (due mostly to getting reversed twice) and needed a 3rd period comeback to win. So Dean has shown some vulnerabilities.

That said, in both cases (against both Bulsak and Brucki), Dean seemed to have the better tank and wore both guys down in the 3rd period. That's a plus. But relying on 3rd period comebacks can get dicey against the better guys in the weight class.

I absolutely loved watching Dean break his spirit with that ride. Brucki was spent and his form on the attempted TD in OT was so poor because of it.

We didnt get Kerk out of high school though.

What am I talking about? You whining about an unsubstantiated stupid post. So let's be honest, while we're here. Marinelli's career, based on his yearly rankings, and the hype from your board, has obviously been very disappointing. Does that mean he's been overhyped? I don't know, but he sure as hell has been on your board.
Irrelevant to the topic, its all friendly, you dont have to get offended on a message board guy. I also agree that marinelli is overrated this year. He wasn't over rated in the past.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Took a peek at the hawks board to see their take on things.

does anyone else see irony in the fact that the number of posts bewailing the lack of an offensive style is almost the same as the number of posts bewailing that stalling is not being called?

my take: it’s a style and they do it well, and the matches were tough just like those in psu-mich. live with it.
Not really. If the other wrestler would let them Murin, Young, Warner would get more takedowns.

Reactions: danoftw
The only match I was really disappointed in was Hildebrand and Suriano. That 3rd period is what kills folk style wrestling. Allowing a guy to simply ride and do or try nothing, is complete nonsense.

You should get 30 seconds max, to get it going or we're standing you up. All the other matches had guys try to turn the wrestler. If you're on top, you need to do something. If you're on bottom, you need to do something. 30 seconds or the stall points start flowing, or you're being stood up.
Any guesses on the 197 outcome under your complaint?

Based on that match, Dean is going to break him badly - Dean puts a lot of Pressure on - all match long. That Brucki match was awesome.

I also thought Brucki was huge, much bigger than max. Great match for sure. Dean being undersized has to adjust for these bigger studs. I though he adjusted very well even within the match to find out what was going to work.

Or take a drink every time they show terry rocking in his chair or tom not in is.
True story, I was watching an Iowa match with my girlfriend who’s becoming a wrestling fan. They kept showing Terry with his messed up hair and disheveled clothing rocking nonstop in his chair. She looks at me and says, “awe that’s sweet”. I asked, what’s sweet? She answered, “ that they let him sit in the corner with the team.” I about spit out my beer…

True story, I was watching an Iowa match with my girlfriend who’s becoming a wrestling fan. They kept showing Terry with his messed up hair and disheveled clothing rocking nonstop in his chair. She looks at me and says, “awe that’s sweet”. I asked, what’s sweet? She answered, “ that they let him sit in the corner with the team.” I about spit out my beer…
Marry her

You are really lighting it up this morning. Marinelli, Murin, and the rest of the weary, beaten-up, worn-down veterans are not experiencing learning lessons at this stage of the game. They are hanging on for dear life, hoping to last long enough to salvage something at the end of the season. The eyes and energy are very telling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT