ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Minnesota

BVSt.Paul

Jul 19, 2001
St. Paul, Minnesota
Since I live in St. Paul I am planning on attending this dual Friday night in Minneapolis. It should be rather lively as I know there is no love loss between the schools. Just wondering if fellow PSU folks have any rooting interest from an individual or team perspective.

...should be a good one, but I think the Hawkeyes will prevail...

...I think it's being carried live on the BTN...

Originally posted by androcles:

...should be a good one, but I think the Hawkeyes will prevail...

...I think it's being carried live on the BTN...
It is...7:00pm ET

125- Gilman mdec Lizak. 4-3 Iowa
133- Dardanes dec Clark, could see a Clark upset. 4-3 Iowa
141- Dardanes dec Dziewa. 6-4 Minny
149- Sorensen dec Short, possible major. 7-6 Iowa
157- Ness fall Kelly. 12-7 Minny
165- Moore dec Wanzak. 12-10 Minny
174- Storely dec Evans, could see an Evans win but Storely has won more often than not against Evans. 15-10 Minny
184- Brooks dec Pfarr, Pfarr with a decent chance for a mild upset. 15-13 Minny
197- Schiller dec Burak. 18-13 Minny
285- Telford dec Kroells. 18-16 Minny

I got Minnesota taking it, but very close, could easily go to Iowa with a Clark or Evans win or Kelly keeping it close to Ness.

OP you seem to be in luck i just heard Minnesota is selling tickets for $5 so the place will be a packed house. But you will need to get your ticket fast as they will likely go fast. as for predictions i think it will be a close one and I think the poster above is about what I was thinking. its definitely going to come down to 174 and 197 which both gophers have winning records against Evans and Burak

I think Iowa wins big. Gilman will get bonus points and Ness won't have a fall. Also don't think Minn will pull any 'upsets' and think Iowa will (based on rankings). Just my opinion, will be fun to watch!

Way I see it shaking

125- Gilman dec Lizak. Beat him by 7 last time and I think Lizak comes in with a gameplan and holds Gilman off long enough. 3-0 IA
133- C. Dardanes dec Clark. Really want to pick Clark here but my gut is saying Dardanes pulls it out. He's wrestling well 3-3
141- N. Dardanes dec Dziewa. Dont think this will be a close match, but a convincing dec. 3-6 MN
149- Sorenson dec Short. Think Short needs a confidence win and he could surprise, but doesn't get it here. Think he is close to being talked about though and suffering some freshman blues. 6-6
157- Ness mdec Kelly. I have trouble picking pins and I think Kelly is a tough kid who has been around the block/wont put himself in that situation. That being said once Ness pushes that button you're getting launched. He has turned into an impressive pinner/one of the more exciting wrestlers on the mat today. 10-6 MN
165- Moore dec Wanzek. Moore is in that tier just above Wanzek rn. 10-9 MN
174- Storley dec Evans. Even in the loss, I thought Storley looked pretty good. Evans is wrestling very well, but this weight is a carousel and think Logan pulls it out 13-9 MN
184- Brooks dec. Pfarr. This is going to be an exciting match. Pfarr has the goods but so does Brooks. Both of these guys are going to fight for the podium in a stacked weight. This was the hardest pick for me of the dual. Going with Brooks here, who is fun to watch. 13-12 MN
197- Schiller dec Burak. This match probably decides the dual. Burak has been having a great year, but I think Schiller is a bad matchup for him. 16-12 MN
HWT- Telford dec Kroells. Telford gets his typical win in a boring match 16-15 MN

It comes down to bonus, as usual. Order of confidence of my picks are 285, 57, 41, 97, 25, 65, 49, 33, 74, 84

This post was edited on 1/29 8:52 AM by KidNittany

I'm leaning Hawks - hoping they can take 2/3 @133/184/197. Would love to see the match start at 165 and have it come down to Hawks up by 5 going into 157 just to see what Ness would do...

Originally posted by PSU Mike:
I'm leaning Hawks - hoping they can take 2/3 @133/184/197. Would love to see the match start at 165 and have it come down to Hawks up by 5 going into 157 just to see what Ness would do...
+1

Love to watch Ness when he needs to funk. THAT would be fun.

Thanks very much to Slushhead on FOS (who runs a "Mike Evans Impression of the Week" poll) for digging up this hilarious poll over on The Guillotine:

During the Minnesota-Iowa dual:

1. How many times will an Iowa wrestler shove a Gopher after they've gone out-of-bounds and the whistle has blown:
__ zero
__ once
__ twice
__ three-to-five times
__ more than five times

2. How many times will the referee penalize the Hawkeyes for poor sportsmanship due to shoving out-of-bounds after the whistle has blown?
__ zero; he will pretend not to notice
__ zero; he will notice but will say nothing
__ zero; he will notice and will warn both wrestlers
__ zero; he will notice and will confer with the assistant ref
__ zero; he will notice Evans pick up a folding chair and bring it down over Storley's head and will then warn both wrestlers

3. Which Hawkeye is most likely to shove a Gopher after they have gone out-of-bounds and the whistle has blown?
__ Evans
__ Evans, but without a mustache so that everyone keeps saying "Who is that guy?"
__ Evans and Gilman
__ Ramos, just for good ole time's sake
__ Brands (either one), just because he really wants to

This post was edited on 1/30 4:10 PM by El-Jefe

http://forum.theguillotine.com/topic/9220916/1/

For what it's worth, as an Iowa fan, I don't post a lot, but spend a lot of time reading the various wrestling boards and think the BWI board is well done. Love the daily articles posts and the insight from PA fans. That said, I just wanted to point out that the "Iowa Poll" about pushing and such, while all in good fun, was originally published by a guy that goes by the handle Conquistadors, who posted a reply on Foleys Mail Bag today (Intermat) where he compared Iowa to Brownshirt Nazi's. While his obvious ignorance is evident, I think it's important to point out that these are college kids representing our various schools, some of which probably came close to going to any number of top programs and could have just as easily been someone we cheer for as cheer against. Don't like the stash, well I don't like some of his antics either, but either way, there are a lot more kids that we can be proud of than not, on all teams. I just hate to see someone like this poster play on the worst of wrestling fans. It's easy to compare a kid to a Nazi on a message board, he's obviously not a wrestler as wrestlers are not cowards like that.

Conquistadors is an Iowa State fan, so I imagine he likes sticking it to the Hawkeyes.

The poll was funny. The "Brownshirts goose-stepping" comment was far more inappropriate than the poll was funny.

As the saying goes: comments sometimes tell you more about the person who said them, than about the topic.

Originally posted by Neo_Hawk:
For what it's worth, as an Iowa fan, I don't post a lot, but spend a lot of time reading the various wrestling boards and think the BWI board is well done. Love the daily articles posts and the insight from PA fans. That said, I just wanted to point out that the "Iowa Poll" about pushing and such, while all in good fun, was originally published by a guy that goes by the handle Conquistadors, who posted a reply on Foleys Mail Bag today (Intermat) where he compared Iowa to Brownshirt Nazi's. While his obvious ignorance is evident, I think it's important to point out that these are college kids representing our various schools, some of which probably came close to going to any number of top programs and could have just as easily been someone we cheer for as cheer against. Don't like the stash, well I don't like some of his antics either, but either way, there are a lot more kids that we can be proud of than not, on all teams. I just hate to see someone like this poster play on the worst of wrestling fans. It's easy to compare a kid to a Nazi on a message board, he's obviously not a wrestler as wrestlers are not cowards like that.
Good post. I agree.

Originally posted by jammenz:
Conquistadors is an Iowa State fan, so I imagine he likes sticking it to the Hawkeyes.
Thats the only way he will "stick it to the Hawkeyes"Clowns are a joke!!

ADVERTISEMENT