ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v Penn

Kennedy has looked better than Facundo but obviously we're measuring just offensive output when everyone and their mom knew Kennedy was the more offensive wrestler. Curious how he fares against Carr this weekend. He has dominated everyone so far though and often his gas tank in the 3rd separates him.

Kennedy has looked better than Facundo but obviously we're measuring just offensive output when everyone and their mom knew Kennedy was the more offensive wrestler. Curious how he fares against Carr this weekend. He has dominated everyone so far though and often his gas tank in the 3rd separates him.
his ceiling this year depends on his ability to finish. he's had some struggles, especially against longer wrestlers. carr is really crafty with his shin whizzer. this is also an area where facundo could frustrate him.

Reactions: McScoreley
his ceiling this year depends on his ability to finish. he's had some struggles, especially against longer wrestlers. carr is really crafty with his shin whizzer. this is also an area where facundo could frustrate him.
Sounds like he’s Alex Marinelli with hair

Sounds like he’s Alex Marinelli with hair
not that far off. his offense is far more diverse, but has some of the same finishing issues. i do think it bodes better long term. marinelli basically had 3 attacks, all off posts. i think that became a problem late in his career. he was incredibly easy to scout and prepare for. kennedy at least has options if his opponents take away his primary attacks.

If Facundo works on beating the whizzer with Casey between now and late January, he'll be in good shape to take some scalps later on in the year. He's doing a better job of setting up and penetrating on his shots now. Figure out a couple of good finishes from there with Casey and go from there.

He got to that position a few times vs Hubbard from CMU and couldn't get through it a good number of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
If Facundo works on beating the whizzer with Casey between now and late January, he'll be in good shape to take some scalps later on in the year. He's doing a better job of setting up and penetrating on his shots now. Figure out a couple of good finishes from there with Casey and go from there.

He got to that position a few times vs Hubbard from CMU and couldn't get through it a good number of them.
You're one of the biggest proponents of believing in Alex's ceiling if he gets extended time with Casey. Glad you are observing that he is setting up his shots better now. I believe Alex will be much improved next January compared to what we saw in November and then much better in March than January. Might go into NCAAs with a few Ls but will be a bad draw when you combine his defense with Casey's offensive game planning.

what's the metric?
Since it's career, I think it should, in part, consider year-by-year of competition including the following in order of importance:
1) Position/round finished at NCAAs
2) Position/round finished at B1Gs
3) Bonus rate
4) Winning percentage

You and @GogglesPaizano can figure out the scoring method and weighting factor for each. Then, if you need someone to stake you a % of the wager buy-in, hit me up.

Last edited:
what's the metric? ncaa finishes? very doable. overall consistency? tough to beat. especially given the current landscape of 165.
If somebody wants to win that bet it has to be NCAA finishes. Prior to the tournament Marinelli was superman. After Thursday night at the tournament somebody always gave him a glass of kryptonite and stole his cape.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I’m all for discussing it, but can it be done in an Iowa vs. Penn State thread? This is an Iowa vs. Penn thread, and we can probably predict there will be duplicative discussions going on when people don’t really think to follow this thread that isn’t about Penn State.

fc774d0af18d427d674a55639da13c8e.jpg

🙂
You guys are really pissing off "slushhead" with all this IOWA/PENN STATE talk in this thread!!!!

Reactions: slushhead
what's the metric? ncaa finishes? very doable. overall consistency? tough to beat. especially given the current landscape of 165.
Marinelli went 6, 7, R12 (due to injury), 5 ... sucks to hold that R12 against him but healthy, his best finish was 5, which I'm pretty sure Kennedy will do better than some point in his NCAA career, it could be this year even.

I also believe Kennedy will be on the podium 4 times.

ADVERTISEMENT