ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Team Photos

You’ve never seen an action movie where a person is pointing a gun at the camera in a shot? Who knows what happened here, but that’s like every action movie.
This also happened to Brandon Lee on the set of the Crow. Hard to believe this could happen.

Fair but, unusual works for my point
too. I think it’s pretty frequent and common.
Yep...
giphy.gif

Reactions: nerfstate
Still unusual for action to be towards the film crew
I couldn't disagree more. How many action movies with guns have you seen? Or the behind the seens making of them? Those guns are pointed all over the place. Especially handguns.

Let's see now -- this thread started on the topic of an Iowa team photo and we're now talking about firearm safety on movie sets! This is actually a fun thread to follow, and some of our Hawkeye friends are also joining in. However, it's pretty interesting how thread topics evolve during the time periods when there is no significant competition. I'll bet this thread goes dead as soon as the season officially starts.

Let's see now -- this thread started on the topic of an Iowa team photo and we're now talking about firearm safety on movie sets! This is actually a fun thread to follow, and some of our Hawkeye friends are also joining in. However, it's pretty interesting how thread topics evolve during the time periods when there is no significant competition. I'll bet this thread goes dead as soon as the season officially starts.
I know, right?

Getting back to my original post…why doesn’t Spencer smile much anymore?

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I couldn't disagree more. How many action movies with guns have you seen? Or the behind the seens making of them? Those guns are pointed all over the place. Especially handguns.

Have you ever watched NCIS or the LA or NO versions? Guns are pointed at people all the time.

Iowa wrestling team photo to firearm safety discussion.

Really not as much as a stretch as you make it out to be. Seems as if we (and other boards as I'm sure some of our guests can attest!) have had multiple threads over the years that have followed this arc.😄

“They shoulda put itty bitty harnesses on them there bullets” — pawrestlersintn

:) #toosoon?

Guns, people shot, Iowa wrestling. It all seems to flow together.

Firearms expert, who is part of the investigation, says that pointing and discharging a gun (even a prop) at someone is an "inexcusable violation of firearms safety rules". But I guess you know more than the experts, Turk.

I can't speak for anyone else, but a long time ago, I did something really stupid that still makes me cringe when I think about it. I briefly pointed a firearm in jest at a good friend and thank God I didn't pull the trigger. I checked it a few hours later and found it was loaded. Henceforth, I NEVER point a firearm anywhere except either straight up or straight down unless I'm preparing to shoot at a target. 😬

Firearms expert, who is part of the investigation, says that pointing and discharging a gun (even a prop) at someone is an "inexcusable violation of firearms safety rules". But I guess you know more than the experts, Turk.

Pointing a firearm at someone is a violation of safety rules? Wow! I never would have guessed that! Where do you find such brilliant experts?

• Haha
Reactions: PASLP2
Pointing a firearm at someone is a violation of safety rules? Wow! I never would have guessed that! Where do you find such brilliant experts?

You're the one who said it was perfectly acceptable on a film set, Turk.

Sounds like you're waving the white flag. Smart move. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
You're the one who said it was perfectly acceptable on a film set, Turk.

Sounds like you're waving the white flag. Smart move. lol
When did I say it was "perfectly acceptable" on a film set? Show me where I said that. I was agreeing with what @nerfstate said.
You can't put words in people's mouths and then play it off like it really happened. Last I checked, that's not how it works..

Oh btw, take a look at your white flag, it has my shit stain on it. 😉

Last edited:
When did I say it was "perfectly acceptable" on a film set? Show me where I said that. I was agreeing with what @nerfstate said.
You can't put words in people's mouths and then play it off like it really happened. Last I checked, that's not how it works..
Wow Turk.. agree with this 100 percent! Spencer should quit advertising his love for Pokemon and maybe others will hang out with him..

Last edited:
Yeah, this gun argument sucks.

For those who seem to get bent out of shape about whether prop guns ever get pointed at the film crew on a movie set, I really don’t see the big deal. Sure, they might not get pointed at the crew as often as at other actors, but geez, it is a controlled environment with good quality safety training.

We could have much worse examples of safety to discuss here. Say, Vince Turk shooting real guns at people, or WildTurk spreading his shit stains everywhere he goes, for example. Oh, wait.

#eatitturk

Yeah, this gun argument sucks.

For those who seem to get bent out of shape about whether prop guns ever get pointed at the film crew on a movie set, I really don’t see the big deal. Sure, they might not get pointed at the crew as often as at other actors, but geez, it is a controlled environment with good quality safety training.

We could have much worse examples of safety to discuss here. Say, Vince Turk shooting real guns at people, or WildTurk spreading his shit stains everywhere he goes, for example. Oh, wait.

#eatitturk
I don't know, Slush. The number one rule when handling a gun is to always treat it as if it's loaded. And, the first responsibility of that is to verify that it's not loaded when it's handed to you. Even if the person handing it to you is God himself, and he says, "It's unloaded," you should question his word (Word?) and check the chamber. Then, hope he doesn't write that down in his notebook.

So, I have to wonder about their safety training. If it is that good, why wasn't that rule followed?

Reactions: PSUeng
I don't know, Slush. The number one rule when handling a gun is to always treat it as if it's loaded. And, the first responsibility of that is to verify that it's not loaded when it's handed to you. Even if the person handing it to you is God himself, and he says, "It's unloaded," you should question his word (Word?) and check the chamber. Then, hope he doesn't write that down in his notebook.

So, I have to wonder about their safety training. If it is that good, why wasn't that rule followed?
Sorry, man — very little of that post was meant to be serious. Take a peek at Post #55 for comparison. 😇

Has it come out that Baldwin discharged this weapon other than when he was directed to? I may have missed it, I tend to not follow these stories too closely. Not discharging it would not really work if he was making a movie that required him to fire a prop gun.

A lot still needs to be confirmed, but there have been some leaks trickling out of that set complaining that the production company was cutting corners with safety and compensation. Crew being forced to drive 50 miles to set after being promised hotels onsite in their contracts, paychecks not getting sent, long hours, unprofessionalism, etc... LA Times is reporting that there were already previous prop gun misfires on set and that their complaints of gun safety were going unheard. Apparently most of the union crew members (read: highly trained, experienced, and disciplined) walked off the set that morning before the incident. Nonunion workers were brought in to replace them a few hours before the shooting.

Ultimately, this is on the production company for creating the unsafe environment by cutting corners. Alec Baldwin the actor is not responsible for this tragedy, but Alec Baldwin the producer is. Hopefully, we see some accountability.

Reactions: nerfstate
Well, the good news is you managed to introduce religion to the thread . . . I think that just leaves politics to check off? I’m confident we can do it.
Here...I think Hollywood should be required to hire the NRA, the largest gun safety training organization in the world, at exorbitant costs, for safety training. Is that close enough? 🙄

Well, the good news is you managed to introduce religion to the thread . . . I think that just leaves politics to check off? I’m confident we can do it.
Also needed are food recipes and recommendations..

I have a large slab of prime rib in the smoker right now. Sautéed mushrooms & onions, homemade horseradish, Au Jus. Yeah.. Be jealous 😋

so does this mean iowa football fans get to spend the week making fun of psu before losing to wisconsin next week? this could be a fun cycle lol

• Haha
Reactions: backdrft76
ADVERTISEMENT