ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa (pronounced 'Eye-oh-wah'). From blitzkrieg to Siegfried Line.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
While many here are giving Ferentz credit for "out-coaching" Franklin I want to go the other way. I preface my comments by saying Ferentz is a wily coach. He has bested JoePa in close games. With that admission here goes...

Assuming Clifford's injury is not season-ending, Franklin played to preserve the season. It took balls (giant brass ones) to sit Clifford. Thenceforth the game became one of attrition, not unlike WWI trench warfare. Painful for PSU fans to accept because Roberson was woefully ill-prepared (and that one is on Franklin) but nevertheless, it almost worked! How so. Because Iowa's offense is not playoff caliber. Everyone knows it accept Iowa fans. Consider this. We moved the ball at will against a defense whose claim-to-fame was points off turnovers (ranked #1). Up until Sean went down I kept thinking, two turnovers and Iowa has only three points to show for it?? I'll take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I was also begging Ferentz to stick with that zone pass coverage because we were going to shred it. But then the wheels didn't so much come off as the complexion of the game changed. We went from blitzkrieg to Siegfried Line. We have the D to play that game, so why not try it.

Look, there's but one team remaining that's better than us. I'll use Nebraska to advance my thesis. I'm familiar with Nebraska; which is to say, I've watched them three times. :cool: Nebraska took OU, Sparty and Michigan down-to-the-wire. As much as I want to say Nebraska is the best team with a losing record, I cannot. They stink. And that says a lot about Sparty and Michigan. Ergo, Franklin played to preserve the season. He has confidence in this team's ability. Again, this assumes Clifford can still play. Yurcich will adjust the playbook. No designed runs, fewer RPOs, less exposure for Clifford.

Lastly, I believe Franklin when he says our players weren't faking injuries. Usually whenever a player fakes it he stands up first, takes a cue from the sidelines and then flops. I don't recall that happening once! Rather, when our players hit the ground they stayed on the ground. Credit Iowa for being a physical football team. Is that not Iowa's reputation. Why then won't their fans accept it.

Just my two cents. We're not out of it by a long shot. Seeing how this is a party line (no need to hang-up, Bob) I'll shut-up now and listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
In looking through the shots of the crowd, I'm sure the FBI would have been able to match more than a few with those they are trying to track down.

While many here are giving Ferentz credit for "out-coaching" Franklin I want to go the other way. I preface my comments by saying Ferentz is a wily coach. He has bested JoePa in close games. With that admission here goes...

Assuming Clifford's injury is not season-ending, Franklin played to preserve the season. It took balls (giant brass ones) to sit Clifford. Thenceforth the game became one of attrition, not unlike WWI trench warfare. Painful for PSU fans to accept because Roberson was woefully ill-prepared (and that one is on Franklin) but nevertheless, it almost worked! How so. Because Iowa's offense is not playoff caliber. Everyone knows it accept Iowa fans. Consider this. We moved the ball at will against a defense whose claim-to-fame was points off turnovers (ranked #1). Up until Sean went down I kept thinking, two turnovers and Iowa has only three points to show for it?? I'll take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I was also begging Ferentz to stick with that zone pass coverage because we were going to shred it. But then the wheels didn't so much come off as the complexion of the game changed. We went from blitzkrieg to Siegfried Line. We have the D to play that game, so why not try it.

Look, there's but one team remaining that's better than us. I'll use Nebraska to advance my thesis. I'm familiar with Nebraska; which is to say, I've watched them three times. :cool: Nebraska took OU, Sparty and Michigan down-to-the-wire. As much as I want to say Nebraska is the best team with a losing record, I cannot. They stink. And that says a lot about Sparty and Michigan. Ergo, Franklin played to preserve the season. He has confidence in this team's ability. Again, this assumes Clifford can still play. Yurcich will adjust the playbook. No designed runs, fewer RPOs, less exposure for Clifford.

Lastly, I believe Franklin when he says our players weren't faking injuries. Usually whenever a player fakes it he stands up first, takes a cue from the sidelines and then flops. I don't recall that happening once! Rather, when our players hit the ground they stayed on the ground. Credit Iowa for being a physical football team. Is that not Iowa's reputation. Why then won't their fans accept it.

Just my two cents. We're not out of it by a long shot. Seeing how this is a party line (no need to hang-up, Bob) I'll shut-up now and listen.
I think it’s far less strategic than that. I think Franklin genuinely cares about his players and if Clifford could have come back and played, but there was some risk of his injury getting worse, Franklin wasn’t going to risk the kid’s health to win a football game. I know some fanboys think these kids should risk their lives to give us a win, Franklin is not one of those guys. I guess we should get a coach like the one from Varsity Blues….”go out there and win me a championship!”

Reactions: nits74
In looking through the shots of the crowd, I'm sure the FBI would have been able to match more than a few with those they are trying to track down.
Haha. Want to erase your old life and live a new one where noone will ever look for you, move to Iowa

Reactions: nits74
ADVERTISEMENT