ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Prediction

Suspect we'll see more of thre other SB thgan we have all season. The team will play with a huge chip on their shoulder (let's see, we killed these guys last year, we're pretty much the same team if not better... and everyone thinks we're in touble...).

I can see iowa winning this... but it won't. 34-20 us.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Iowa matched up well against Paterno's style, that's why they beat us in close games, they out uglied us. We played them twice post Paterno, two blowouts.
It won't be close...
I just gotta agree with Dave here!
Once O'Brien got here, and started running the no-huddle, spread offense, Iowa has NOT compared to Penn State!
And, because of this, I just don't see Iowa matching up with all of our offensive weapons. I've watched Iowa twice this year (Iowa State and North Texas State), and they continue to run the old Iowa-pro offense. Run a back right or left, and throw to the TE's, alot! Once in a blue-moon, Ferentz will have his QB throw one long.
My feeling is PSU by 21+!

PSU 38-13. Going under the assumption that our defense has been pretty bland and not needed to show a whole lot.
Agree and starting Big Play will certainly have the teams attention vs. the cupcakes we just played.

Most people think that the Iowa OL is significantly better than what Pitt had. Just asking I haven't watched Iowa at all this season.

Tia

Really? Iowa is averaging 3.8 ypc (3rd worst in B1G, only Indiana's 1.9 ypc and Ill-noise's 3.5 ypc are worse). Iowa has one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, not one of the best, LMAO at some of you people. PSU is averaging 6.8 yards per rushing attempt (2nd best in league), but PSU's run game stinks - go figure?

Really? Iowa is averaging 3.8 ypc (3rd worst in B1G, only Indiana's 1.9 ypc and Ill-noise's 3.5 ypc are worse). Iowa has one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, not one of the best, LMAO at some of you people. PSU is averaging 6.8 yards per rushing attempt (2nd best in league), but PSU's run game stinks - go figure?

Uh, I was asking a question. Not making a statement. In this particular thread and others there have been posters that have been saying that Iowa's OL is "so good" and I was asking how it compared to Pitt's.

I'm not the one saying it knucklehead.

"College Football News" is not a respected, nor reputable source. The title of the thread should be changed. Their "predictions" aren't worth the keyboard they use to post them.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Desmond Howard picked Pitt to beat Penn State. Will he continue his streak? Personally, I will be surprised if he doesn't pick Iowa.

Haven't made a prediction all year and won't make one this week either. Simply pull for PSU, and simply believe that victory is headed our way. Just win baby.

What a tard. This PSU team is probably the most explosive team in county and can pretty much score on anybody. They just have to stay consistent. Iowa can hold on to ball for 40 min and PSU can still win.
He points out PSU terrible schedule but doesn’t say a word about the cream puffs IOwa has played.

48-24 PSU

I don't feel like Iowa has the horses to stop our offense. Josey Jewell, even with the coolest name in the B1G, cannot stop #26 at both run and pass. My concern is stopping Iowa's running game and TE (complimenting the running game). Our DL needs to bring pressure and the LBs need to step up.

Turnovers are always an issue but PSU has been great at controlling TO's (we don't give or get many). So I see this being a draw.

I feel like PSUs special teams are much better than they've been historically. I also wonder why people point out Iowa's beating UM but not getting trounced by us at home last year?

Regardless, I see it PSU 38 - Iowa 17.

I'd put it at 41-21 or 41-24 Good guys.

Suspect we'll see more of thre other SB thgan we have all season. The team will play with a huge chip on their shoulder (let's see, we killed these guys last year, we're pretty much the same team if not better... and everyone thinks we're in touble...).

I can see iowa winning this... but it won't. 34-20 us.
We're not better than last year at DE or LB, although cam brown could be a killer tomorrow.

I went back and read the posts from last year prior to the Iowa game. Same stuff was being said about Iowa controlling the LOS, running the ball on us, close game, dog fight, etc. A lot of the same doom and gloomers this year were doom and gloomers last year (RichardtheLionhearted for one) and we saw how last year's game turned out. Yes Iowa is a little better this year but then again so is PSU. Yes it was a home game for PSU last year but I don't think home field is a 30+ point difference.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Iowa is built around power football on offense and defense. They matched up well vs Penn State teams a few years back and their record against us in that time period shows.
Penn State now will spread you out and use speed on offense. Not the kind of offense Iowa's defense can handle for 4 quarters.

I like PSU over Iowa 27-17

Can' believe how many people think this is going to be a easy game..Iowa in Iowa is NEVER Easy..I am concerned with the OL and think that will keep it close.

I am going to say 29-23 Blue

I made the mistake of peeking in on their board. I don't know what the score is going to be but I hope we blow the doors off the children of the corn!

Reactions: JJTopp99
Can' believe how many people think this is going to be a easy game..Iowa in Iowa is NEVER Easy..I am concerned with the OL and think that will keep it close.

I am going to say 29-23 Blue

2012 it was easy for PSU so you can't say beating Iowa in Iowa is NEVER easy.

And Iowa will be wearing black and PSU white so not sure which blue team you're referring to. Maybe that's your problem, you're unsure which teams are playing b

Stating the obvious, the Iowa game will tell us a lot about this team. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced the defense is of championship caliber and I think the offense is capable of being shut down if Trace has an off game. I expect a 10-2 season, and one of the losses could be this week. If we win easily, with a sold defensive performance, I may revise my thinking. We'll know soon enough.
I'm hopeful that this team will be really good by season's end, but this is for all intents and purposes game one of the season, and nobody knows what we've got.

I had a dream that Michael Robinson appeared to me and whispered, "PSU 6, Iowa 4. It's payback time." I wrinkled my nose in disgust and averred that I'd take the win, but might have to commit hara-kiri watching the game! ;)

Seriously, I have a bad feeling about this game. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid PSU will have a very "off" night with the offense misfiring (interceptions, no running game) and the defense simply allowing long drives and, ultimately, scoring.

Iowa 24, PSU 3.

Reactions: Obliviax
I had a dream that Michael Robinson appeared to me and whispered, "PSU 6, Iowa 4. It's payback time." I wrinkled my nose in disgust and averred that I'd take the win, but might have to commit hara-kiri watching the game! ;)

Seriously, I have a bad feeling about this game. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid PSU will have a very "off" night with the offense misfiring (interceptions, no running game) and the defense simply allowing long drives and, ultimately, scoring.

Iowa 24, PSU 3.

LOL. This team is capable of a lot of things - scoring only three points isn't one of them.

Penn State scored 10 points against the best defense in college football last year, with no defense of their own, no time of possession, and on the road. I think Penn State scores at least 10 points against Iowa.

I just gotta agree with Dave here!
Once O'Brien got here, and started running the no-huddle, spread offense, Iowa has NOT compared to Penn State!

I'd like to think this way but...there isn't a big sample size. When O'Brien blew them out at Iowa City that was one of those games where everything went right for PSU and everything went wrong for Iowa (such as they lost two starting O-linemen in about a 10 minute streth). Last year's game at the Beav was the same way -- it was PSU's best execution of the season.

The spread, and PSU's speed, should match up well against a BBDB type defense, but if this game goes Iowa's way, PSU drives will bog down as they approach the red zone and then the speed is less of an advantage.

In that sense Franklin is right, the shock plays are actually important to winning the game because PSU is scoring from 35-50-60 yards out and not having to win a grind in the red zone.

I think Iowa's recent troubles against PSU are largely powered by the same thing as Iowa's previous successess -- it has to do with recruiting and players. The great Iowa teams always had at least one world class defensive linemen who disrupted the PSU offense, they always had one great corner, and then solid players across the rest of the D. This year they have one great corner and one great DE, though they're young.

Offensively, those great Iowa teams had a solid O-line but the difference was when they had all-B1G caliber players at running back and wideout. They have the running back now in Wadley. I don't know about receiver, but they seem to be better at wideout than they were last year.

I just don't see a blowout in part because it's time for this game to revert to the mean. It's time to have a pretty gritty hard-fought game. I could see PSU pulling away in the 4th Q to win by 2 scores. The line seems about right to me.

Turnovers would change the complexion. I really don't see PSU committing a lot of turnovers because of their experience. Iowa may need to worry about INTs given their young QB and the kind of secondary play we've see out of PSU so far this year. Their QB is going to have to be very cautious because PSU has been great at disguising coverages and dropping people into passing lanes at the last second.

If I were Iowa, I would run the ball and throw screens to Wadley till PSU demonstrates they can consistently stop it. If Iowa has to drop back to pass, the advantage shifts to the PSU D.

I'd like to think this way but...there isn't a big sample size. When O'Brien blew them out at Iowa City that was one of those games where everything went right for PSU and everything went wrong for Iowa (such as they lost two starting O-linemen in about a 10 minute streth). Last year's game at the Beav was the same way -- it was PSU's best execution of the season.

The spread, and PSU's speed, should match up well against a BBDB type defense, but if this game goes Iowa's way, PSU drives will bog down as they approach the red zone and then the speed is less of an advantage.

In that sense Franklin is right, the shock plays are actually important to winning the game because PSU is scoring from 35-50-60 yards out and not having to win a grind in the red zone.

I think Iowa's recent troubles against PSU are largely powered by the same thing as Iowa's previous successess -- it has to do with recruiting and players. The great Iowa teams always had at least one world class defensive linemen who disrupted the PSU offense, they always had one great corner, and then solid players across the rest of the D. This year they have one great corner and one great DE, though they're young.

Offensively, those great Iowa teams had a solid O-line but the difference was when they had all-B1G caliber players at running back and wideout. They have the running back now in Wadley. I don't know about receiver, but they seem to be better at wideout than they were last year.

I just don't see a blowout in part because it's time for this game to revert to the mean. It's time to have a pretty gritty hard-fought game. I could see PSU pulling away in the 4th Q to win by 2 scores. The line seems about right to me.

Turnovers would change the complexion. I really don't see PSU committing a lot of turnovers because of their experience. Iowa may need to worry about INTs given their young QB and the kind of secondary play we've see out of PSU so far this year. Their QB is going to have to be very cautious because PSU has been great at disguising coverages and dropping people into passing lanes at the last second.

If I were Iowa, I would run the ball and throw screens to Wadley till PSU demonstrates they can consistently stop it. If Iowa has to drop back to pass, the advantage shifts to the PSU D.

i think our odd of winning if a close game are not good. a game 14 pts or beyond and we have advantage.

10% chance Iowa wins in a route = lots of TOs by PSU
30% chance Iowa wins a close game = grinding game 40 min TOP by Iowa
10% chance PSU wins a close game
50% chance PSU wins in a route = PSU able to get Iowa off the field on 3rd down

if this game resembles the flow we saw vs Pitt then i see us losing.

i think our odd of winning if a close game are not good. a game 14 pts or beyond and we have advantage.

I don't know if I agree that PSU is at a disadvantage in a close game. But if it is a close game it's just more likely it will be decided by a fluke -- a coin flip.

Not sure who you're referring to here. Both our CBs are first-year starters, neither are anywhere close to "great". Rugamba showed big time promise last year when he had to step in, but this year has underwhelmed. Josh Jackson also has a lot of upside but is still very unproven. Our DEs are solid but also not really "great". Closest thing we have to that is true freshman AJ Epenesa, 5* top DE recruit in the country last year. He's played sparingly and made some nice plays, but obviously really green and still unproven, especially against opponents like PSU.

5% chance Iowa wins in a rout
25% chance Iowa wins a close game
35% chance PSU wins a close game
35% chance PSU wins in a rout

PSU can definitely win a close game. Lots of experience, better special teams, have come from behind before.

We suck...3-9 on the horizon.

Not sure who you're referring to here. Both our CBs are first-year starters, neither are anywhere close to "great". Rugamba showed big time promise last year when he had to step in, but this year has underwhelmed. Josh Jackson also has a lot of upside but is still very unproven. Our DEs are solid but also not really "great". Closest thing we have to that is true freshman AJ Epenesa, 5* top DE recruit in the country last year. He's played sparingly and made some nice plays, but obviously really green and still unproven, especially against opponents like PSU.

Epenesa's the one I was referring to. I thought there was a young corner getting good notices but maybe I'm thinking of another team. Epenesa is going to be a beast, and it doesn't take a lot of experience to put him in clear pass rushing situations. Where a freshman is a disadvantage is usually run defense -- they get fooled and they get overwhelmed by an experience Power 5 tackle. So they probably shouldn't play him every down till he learns the defenses at least. What's tough is because PSU plays without a huddle, it can be hard to substitute on 3rd down.

Epenesa's the one I was referring to. I thought there was a young corner getting good notices but maybe I'm thinking of another team. Epenesa is going to be a beast, and it doesn't take a lot of experience to put him in clear pass rushing situations. Where a freshman is a disadvantage is usually run defense -- they get fooled and they get overwhelmed by an experience Power 5 tackle. So they probably shouldn't play him every down till he learns the defenses at least. What's tough is because PSU plays without a huddle, it can be hard to substitute on 3rd down.

That's exactly how they've been using him. Third down passing situations.

I do not think this game is going to be close. We have better players at every position group, other than O-line and linebacker. Their O-line will be neutralized with our D-line. I do not think they are good enough to prevent us from getting to Stanley, and I truly believe we are going to make them throw the ball by blitzing. We have not shown much of any blitzing in the Non Con, and I expect them to bring pressure from everywhere to slow down wadley, and make the Stanley beat us. Only issue for Iowa is that our Secondary is actually really good, and are way better athletes then they are.

Their linebackers are not even close to good enough to run with #26, #88, #2, or any of our receivers. Same goes for their secondary.
#26 is much bigger than any corner, faster than any safety or linebacker, and this doesnt just pertain to Iowa, this goes for the entire country. I would hate to be a DC against him

Our O-line has played very well when it comes to pass protection, and mediocre at best run blocking. This tells me we are going to see an air raid, with #26 running once they back off the LOS and only have 5-6 in the box.

They do not have the athletes to beat PSU.

PSU only loses if PSU plays like garbage and gives the ball away.

PSU wins, and covers. 42-21.

Side note: It is weird, I am very confident in this game.

Just inserting "foot in mouth" in regards to my score prediction... Credit to Iowa's Defense

Reactions: kgilbert78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT