ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa matchups

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
Phil likes the matchups in this game and Jed looks at the venue as his big factor.

based on actual performance to date, here is what most seem to be saying re match-ups:

• PSU run game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to Iowa. all 3 of our opponents have disrupted our run game. last year we ran well vs Iowa, but Iowa looks better on front 7, and our OL is struggling. QB running for PSU will be key. do we rush for over 100 yds total in game?
  • PSU pass game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to PSU. not sure Iowa can cover our WR/TE and RB's.
  • Iowa run game vs PSU = +++ advantage to Iowa. Iowa RB is a great back. we have had a very hard time stopping anyone running. our DE and LB positions are weak and get moved. key is if we can actually get some 3 and outs. so far we hardly ever get anyone 3 and out.
  • Iowa pass game vs PSU = + small advantage Iowa. we are missing Reid and Amani at CB, so new guys are playing. Iowa QB is going to be good, and far better than anyone we have seen.
  • STs = ++ advantage to PSU.
  • Venue = +++ Iowa - this has been proven many times.
  • Motivation = + Iowa
  • Net = PSU wins if we make big plays in abundance and force some punting. If this looks like the Pitt or GS game on DEF, we will lose unless we can get at least a +TO margin to offset our issues. I cant buy the theory that we have been holding back a magical playbook and there will be all kinds of new things never seen. the Pitt game was in doubt and we had to fight for that game.

Any team can win any given day, but it is absurd to remotely think Iowa has 50% of the matchups in their favor. If they matched up so well, then why have they struggled with two weak opponents?

Reality is, most PSU fans have been snake bit by underrated Iowa teams while our team sleep walked into the matchups. They can prove me wrong, so be it, but I'm telling you: it's going to be a repeat of last year at best or like the Pitt game at worst (19 point win that we don't execute perfectly in).

Last edited:
Home field is the only advantage Iowa has. Let's watch, see and enjoy.

So PSU only advantage against Iowa is the pass game and special teams. PSU should get blown out then.o_O
Ya I don’t think so

just basing on what we have seen to date. last week a no-name RB on a no-name team that lost to an FCS team went over 100 yds running on us, and we had a hard time stopping them from moving the chains.

do you see something that looks different when Iowa has the ball? we can win with the above matchups but that just means the game looks like what we have seen....not much running for PSU - big pass plays - turnovers - good ST play and the opponent running all night on us.

Phil likes the matchups in this game and Jed looks at the venue as his big factor.

based on actual performance to date, here is what most seem to be saying re match-ups:

• PSU run game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to Iowa. all 3 of our opponents have disrupted our run game. last year we ran well vs Iowa, but Iowa looks better on front 7, and our OL is struggling. QB running for PSU will be key. do we rush for over 100 yds total in game? Agree with Iowa advantage but McSorley & Barkley will break off a couple of long runs. I expect PSU to run for over 150 yards.
  • PSU pass game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to PSU. not sure Iowa can cover our WR/TE and RB's. Agree. PSU has too many weapons
  • Iowa run game vs PSU = +++ advantage to Iowa. Iowa RB is a great back. we have had a very hard time stopping anyone running. our DE and LB positions are weak and get moved. key is if we can actually get some 3 and outs. so far we hardly ever get anyone 3 and out.

• Iowa pass game vs PSU = + small advantage Iowa. we are missing Reid and Amani at CB, so new guys are playing. Iowa QB is going to be good, and far better than anyone we have seen. Partially agree. Our LBs and DEs are a weakness but part of the run defense problem is the scheme. Trade off some 5 yard gains for sme negative plays.
  • STs = ++ advantage to PSU. Agree
  • Venue = +++ Iowa - this has been proven many times. Agree
  • Motivation = + Iowa Why?
  • Net = PSU wins if we make big plays in abundance and force some punting. If this looks like the Pitt or GS game on DEF, we will lose unless we can get at least a +TO margin to offset our issues. I cant buy the theory that we have been holding back a magical playbook and there will be all kinds of new things never seen. the Pitt game was in doubt and we had to fight for that game. I don't think we've been holding back. Maybe allow Stevens to throw off a lateral. Hopefully Mahon makes a difference in our running game. Perhaps Blacknall makes a couple of big plays. I think we have to be negative on TOs to lose this game. My key is holding Iowa to FGs. I don't think they can beat us with FGs.

Responses in bold

• PSU run game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to Iowa. all 3 of our opponents have disrupted our run game. last year we ran well vs Iowa, but Iowa looks better on front 7, and our OL is struggling. QB running for PSU will be key. do we rush for over 100 yds total in game?
  • PSU pass game vs Iowa = +++ advantage to PSU. not sure Iowa can cover our WR/TE and RB's.
  • Iowa pass game vs PSU = + small advantage Iowa. we are missing Reid and Amani at CB, so new guys are playing. Iowa QB is going to be good, and far better than anyone we have seen.
  • Motivation = + Iowa
  • Net = PSU wins if we make big plays in abundance and force some punting. If this looks like the Pitt or GS game on DEF, we will lose unless we can get at least a +TO margin to offset our issues. I cant buy the theory that we have been holding back a magical playbook and there will be all kinds of new things never seen. the Pitt game was in doubt and we had to fight for that game.

Hope you plan to re-visit this post at around 11PM.

• Motivation = + Iowa
All due respect, but Iowa's only chance to keep this close is if PSU doesn't play up to their potential (even the potential they've set so far this year). State is just a better team...plain & simple...and this will show in the final score.

Reactions: Sharkies
What about all the tackles for loss PSU has generated.....and the 9th ranked in sacks. I think the D will be just fine. Only gave up 1 TD all yr! So, all that running doesn't appear to amount to much.

• Motivation = + Iowa

Quite an analysis blion72. Remarkably you were wrong on every single point. Keep up the good work.

Quite an analysis blion72. Remarkably you were wrong on every single point. Keep up the good work.

did you predict this game result (win on last play with over 2x the yards and TOP)? i didnt see anyone predicting this result.

I think he/she is a "journalist" who comes on here to just throw crap against the wall to see what sticks.

did you predict this game result (win on last play with over 2x the yards and TOP)? i didnt see anyone predicting this result.

No, I'm not into predicting. Your analysis was 180 degrees off, though. Don't think you're very good at it, and might want to work on a different skill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT