ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa got a gift

To the tune of 1 million dollars

This is unconscionable!

How dare they be so brazen?

I'm just being cheeky up there. This is great for wrestling to have another RTC garner this kind of support. Anything to best compete against the real cheaters (Putin's team).
It is really odd that this gift comes over 8 years from the man's passing. I have the feeling one or more of the heirs didn't like this gift idea. Glad it happened. Everyone should have their wishes followed.

Last edited:
It won't last long with freestyle studs like the Bull
A barn can get expensive but now they are building smart barns with camera's and intercom so you can keep a better eye on your animals if you venture to town.

Good for the Hawk. Still won't help them... He should have put it into a Collective and not an endowment so T&TB could use it.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
This is unconscionable!

How dare they be so brazen?

I'm just being cheeky up there. This is great for wrestling to have another RTC garner this kind of support. Anything to best compete against the real cheaters (Putin's team).
It is really odd that this gift comes over 8 years from the man's passing. I have the feeling one or more of the heirs didn't like this gift idea. Glad it happened. Everyone should have their wishes followed.
It could have been in a 10 year CD that had 8 more years to mature... Correct? I'm not a banker or financial advisor so that could be the wrong term "CD".

I'm wondering when Goodale left Rutgers for Iowa so he could post the #boom

It could have been in a 10 year CD that had 8 more years to mature... Correct? I'm not a banker or financial advisor so that could be the wrong term "CD".
That's a long time to leave an estate open. Ownership of a CD, Bond, or real estate could be transferred to a designated beneficiary prior to maturity or liquidation. I can imagine that over the last 8 years there were some fees taken out of that estate. What say you @tikk10 ? you know more than me!

Not tikk, but have real life experience with CD's after passing of the owner(s).

If the CD has a beneficiary, it's called "Payable on Death", and the beneficiary gets the money at settlement of the estate or before. No probate, as the beneficiary has been clearly designated. It does not go to term for CD's that are years from maturity. Banks do this without penalty.

Even if no beneficiary is noted, the banks normally waive any fees and allow the money to pass to the estate for distribution. Again, no probate court involvement if the will is clear on the distribution to heirs.

With my experience, and this is a larger estate than the several we've been involved with, it doesn't make sense to delay the cashing in of the CD. Maybe it was in the will this way?

I think Roar has it right re CDs and Bordeaux has it right re a long-playing tussle between competing beneficiaries. I say that without knowing anything about the decedent, but that is a long delay and a typical reason for a delay of a bequest of that size would be challenges to the Will by other (actual or potential) beneficiaries, possibly challenging the Will's validity, or if there were multiple Wills.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Here are a few interesting articles about Herb Tyler.

In 2012, a year before his death, he donated 190 pieces of art to Culver Academy, where he was an alum, and made the donation as the "Herbert F. Tyler Bequest." Herbert F was Herb's deceased father--Herb's real was "L. Herbert Tyler." Herb had some experience with philanthropy. Whether this allows the inference that Herb had been managing his father's money to charitable ends, I don't know, he could have just named it that to honor his father.

This article, from 2017, describes a famous house designed and built by Herb Tyler, who was an architecture student while at Iowa U, which is an obvious homage to Frank Lloyd Wright (a big influence in PA, coincidentally, and specifically in some areas of State College). Dubbed the "Quarry House," Herb left it to his daughter Amy Telleen upon his passing in 2013. So that part of the Will was sorted out, at least. The article includes some photos of the house and they're definitely worth looking at.

There's this obituary from 2021 of Mary Tyler, Herb's ex-wife, and the daughter of a doctor. The obit names all three daughters. Great excerpt:
Mary Ann returned to her beloved Davenport after college and married L. Herbert Tyler in 1962. She raised three daughters and created a household where all felt welcome and loved, whether they had feet, fur, or feathers. Those with fur, including stray dogs and cats that showed up on Mary Ann's doorstep, enjoyed home-cooked meatloaves that house guests frequently mistook for human food.

Herb got remarried to Nancy Chapman, who the HWC names in its press release. Nancy and Herb are named as donors to the Iowa U art museum of this ceramic chicken bowl.

It's not worth speculating too much but family structures where there's a remarriage and kids from an original marriage can produce lengthy estate battles unless everything is spelled out and planned for in no uncertain terms. But it could also be the case that Herb's widow was on her own clock and only recently got around to administering the estate (and she could have some autonomy as a trustee, perhaps). I think it might be telling that the HWC press release speaks glowingly of both Herb's daughters and his widow, meaning it's quite possible everyone is on the same page and happy to carry out Herb's wishes. Regardless, good for Iowa, it's a big number and will definitely help their RTC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT