ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa drops four sports for 2020/21

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
They are going to lose $100m in revenue and run a deficit of $60-$75m. They are dropping Men's Gymnastics, Men's and women's swimming and diving, and men's tennis. Seems like the men drew the short stick this year.

Ef9chv4XsAA2Dyx

They are going to lose $100m in revenue and run a deficit of $60-$75m. They are dropping Men's Gymnastics, Men's and women's swimming and diving, and men's tennis. Seems like the men drew the short stick this year.

Ef9chv4XsAA2Dyx
Male sports draw the short stick when it comes to cuts every year

Ef9chv4XsAA2Dyx

Expect much more of this.

Iowa should have dropped wrestling since they are no longer relevant! :p

If only there was some means of comparing last years respective squads since the tourney was canceled . Gee, here’s a novel idea, how about the dual.

I give you guys all due respect, and a few others too, but you know we aren’t going away.

Swimming and Diving is a bit of a questionable one - it loses money, sure (all sports other than football and mens basketball do - and PSU hockey), but the comparative impact gets spread out pretty thin because swimming rosters are a whole lot bigger. Same with track/XC.

Men's tennis makes some degree of sense - at Penn State at least, there are 12 mens tennis players, 19 mens gymnasts, and 33 womens swimmers and divers, even though all three sports lose about $500,000. But at least if you cancel both mens and womens swimming and diving, you can furlough the coaching staff and save some money; I presume that if you just cut mens tennis and keep the womens team, you're not saving anything in terms of coaching salaries.

Reactions: bison13
Iowa is the first out of the chute in the B1G, which gives other schools some cover, so expect to see similar announcements over the next 2-4 weeks at other B1G schools, including Penn State, sadly. I would be surprised if there are any P5 schools that don't announce cuts to one or more varsity sports before the academic year is finished.

A nervous time for any non-revenue college sport student-athlete, parent, coach, support staffer and program alumnus. I predict that men's gymnastics won't be an NCAA sport in 2021--22. Only about 15 schools still have MGYM programs, and one of those is Div III.

Last edited:
NCAA Sports has become big, big business. Is there a chance that the presidents were willing to take this one year hit in order to cry about finances so in turn they could drop sports? Thus making more money in the end when all the dust settles.

It seems to me the big, required future investment in swimming may drive a similar decision at PSU.

Reactions: Bob78

Ef9chv4XsAA2Dyx

I have been told Penn State is about to do the same and more. Very low revenue, very high facility and travel costs.

I have been told Penn State is about to do the same and more. Very low revenue, very high facility and travel costs.

Are you hearing about permanent cuts to certain sports, or a one-year suspension?
Guessing M/W swimming and diving, M/W tennis, Men's volleyball, Men's gymnastics are among the potential targets?

Can we give these sports one year off, not 100% axe them? Money men discuss.
With the individual sports, you are already saving money with no travel and basically no recruiting. Might be some savings with reduced maintenance on facilities. No matter what you do, you are still paying for the scholarships and coaches salaries.

Reactions: bison13
Are facilities maintenance costs credited as expenses against the sport that uses the facility? i.e. if the NCAA financial report says that swimming has an annual $1M in expenses and $500k in revenues, are the costs to maintain the Natatorium included in those expenses? Or does it get lumped into general athletic expenses? Same with Jeffrey Field, or Lubrano Park, etc.

Are facilities maintenance costs credited as expenses against the sport that uses the facility? i.e. if the NCAA financial report says that swimming has an annual $1M in expenses and $500k in revenues, are the costs to maintain the Natatorium included in those expenses? Or does it get lumped into general athletic expenses? Same with Jeffrey Field, or Lubrano Park, etc.
Impossible to tell because there’s no standard accounting method used by the NCAA. It could also fall under the university budget because they use the facility for aquatics programs and classes.

Reactions: Raffycorn
Swimming and Diving is a bit of a questionable one - it loses money, sure (all sports other than football and mens basketball do - and PSU hockey), but the comparative impact gets spread out pretty thin because swimming rosters are a whole lot bigger. Same with track/XC.

Men's tennis makes some degree of sense - at Penn State at least, there are 12 mens tennis players, 19 mens gymnasts, and 33 womens swimmers and divers, even though all three sports lose about $500,000. But at least if you cancel both mens and womens swimming and diving, you can furlough the coaching staff and save some money; I presume that if you just cut mens tennis and keep the womens team, you're not saving anything in terms of coaching salaries.
So that’s.5% savings. Let’s cut cut all faculty. Close the Commonwealth Campuses, Retain enough faculty to run the Penn State Virtual Global Campus. Now that’s a real savings or we can have fall sports and fire Warren and the Presidents that voted against football. TIC

Ef9chv4XsAA2Dyx
This year? Try every year, due to Title IX.

Reactions: Pete in LA

PSU's Athletic Department charges the three sports you mentioned next to nothing for facilities. Most of that expense is unallocated to any given sport

No they are not. However, the thing with swimming is the same with gymnastics and tennis. All need new facilities. No teams, no facilities. While they say budgets are functionally separate from each other, they aren’t.

Why not put all facilities expenditures on hold and use that money to weather the storm.
Borrow money from endowment and keep the programs intact.
Joe would be hitting alumni base for contributions to cover shortfall.
We have a lot of bright creative people surely they can help craft a plan that does not include dropping the non revenue sport you or I dislike.
Amortize the bad year over 5 or 10 years

Why not put all facilities expenditures on hold and use that money to weather the storm.
Borrow money from endowment and keep the programs intact.
Joe would be hitting alumni base for contributions to cover shortfall.
We have a lot of bright creative people surely they can help craft a plan that does not include dropping the non revenue sport you or I dislike.
Amortize the bad year over 5 or 10 years
You just can’t borrow from an endowment because much of it is restricted and can only used for specific purposes. Sure you could delay certain facility expenditures but many can’t be stopped mid project. In addition many will still need to be done so eventually you will still need pay for it.

Cutting a sport is a long term solution and to be honest probably over due at Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT