ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa a pretender

Of course you will, why wouldn't you? Easier than shooting fish in a barrel and great entertainment value. For each post you make there will be multiple responses, they cannot resist. As predictable as the sun and moon.

A ton of butthurt in this thread.

Follow Bonerfarts logic - keep making Iowa posts. That'll show 'em.

Don’t worry. Next week there will be a flood of Illini posters to focus on…

This sounds like a threat @Hotshoe .....
Happened to me as well the other night, personally.
I had enough the other night. It was beyond over the top and hateful. The bs regarding our injured players faking it? We lost 5 players to injury. This guy can post all he wants as long as he's respectful. For some reason, the football board goes off the rails. I've banned one person all the time I've been here on the Wrestling Board. He was an Iowa fan and just wouldn't stop regarding Sandusky. That's it. People just get crazy when they're not face to face.

Could you please point out where in that article they refer to Iowa as a "pretender"? I read it twice and failed to find that particular verbage. I'm sure you can do that quickly, right? Thanks in advance.

The article doesn't include any such verbage.

It does say:

Iowa is the best team in the Big Ten

The Hawkeyes are ranked that way. They have the best wins of any team in the league. They'll probably stay at No. 2 as they run the table through the West division.

It does say:

The Hawkeyes are ranked that way. They have the best wins of any team in the league. They'll probably stay at No. 2 as they run the table through the West division.

The title of the article actually implies that "Iowa is the best team in the Big Ten" is an overreaction and not actually true. It also includes "Whichever team emerges from the four-team fight in the East likely will be favored when it meets up with Iowa for the conference championship game in Indianapolis." The implication here is that the best team in the big ten wouldn't be an underdog against the 4 top teams from the other division.

It does say:

Iowa would finish 3rd or 4th in the BIG east (assuming a healthy Clifford). You have a nasty defense, but your offense is terrible. Brian Ferentz has always been a below average OC. If Clifford doesn't get injured, PSU wins that game 27-13.

From the article:
However, let's be blunt. Penn State was on its way to handling the Hawkeyes on the road before the injury to quarterback Sean Clifford. With the Nittany Lions forced to play an inexperienced backup, their offense stalled and eventually Iowa wore them down, helped by penalties and field position.

Whichever team emerges from the four-team fight in the East likely will be favored when it meets up with Iowa for the conference championship game in Indianapolis.

CollegeGameday's David Pollack says almost the exact same thing! :

Could you please point out where in that article they refer to Iowa as a "pretender"? I read it twice and failed to find that particular verbage. I'm sure you can do that quickly, right? Thanks in advance.
Would you have preferred metaphor? Paper tiger, perhaps? Once you’ve acquired a certain level of reading acumen, you’re able to infer the author’s intent, or “read between the lines.” Why an author chooses conjecture instead of more referential prose is his/her personal choice. Regardless, the piece says what it says. But you knew that.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Iowa doesn’t have any marquee games left on their schedule until the conference championship (assuming they make it). This was their big moment in the sun, and they were exposed as paper tigers. They could win out and still drop a few spots along the way as teams behind them start racking up signature wins. Add a single loss for that team and they could drop out of the top 10 in a blink.

Iowa just gets lucky 12 games in a row (and 41 points last year vs PSU). Lucky that PSU only wanted their Rbs to run for 46 yards.

5q6hki.jpg

So it’s just Penn State fans then? In addition to USA Today, College GameDay analyst David Pollack isn’t sold on the Hawkeyes either…

“Let’s put into context what Iowa was this weekend before Sean Clifford got hurt, said Pollack. “It was 17-3, he had almost 180 yards of offense by himself through a quarter and was absolutely carving up the secondary of Iowa because of their lack of speed, their lack of pass-rush.”

“I think you can expose that zone defense in the back end when you have time and you space them out,” said Pollack. “I think (Penn State) was absolutely destroying them. I think Penn State would’ve walked away with that game (if Clifford was healthy).”

Just. Brutal.

So it’s just Penn State fans then? In addition to USA Today, College GameDay analyst David Pollack isn’t sold on the Hawkeyes either…

“Let’s put into context what Iowa was this weekend before Sean Clifford got hurt, said Pollack. “It was 17-3, he had almost 180 yards of offense by himself through a quarter and was absolutely carving up the secondary of Iowa because of their lack of speed, their lack of pass-rush.”

“I think you can expose that zone defense in the back end when you have time and you space them out,” said Pollack. “I think (Penn State) was absolutely destroying them. I think Penn State would’ve walked away with that game (if Clifford was healthy).”

Just. Brutal.

Purdue fans too. https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/my-take-on-iowa.216433/

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Have you looked at their schedule? They do not play a ranked team.
Purdue, Northwestern, and Wisconsin tend to give Iowa fits. Bielema knows how to beat Ferentz. Some of these teams may not have the horses this year. Nebraska has been playing really well, so who knows.

The title of the article actually implies that "Iowa is the best team in the Big Ten" is an overreaction and not actually true. It also includes "Whichever team emerges from the four-team fight in the East likely will be favored when it meets up with Iowa for the conference championship game in Indianapolis." The implication here is that the best team in the big ten wouldn't be an underdog against the 4 top teams from the other division.
Most Iowans I know are smart and can read well The problem with some of the Hawkeye fans here is they are so desperate to be relevant that they'll completely gloss over anything that's not 100% complimentary of the Hawkeyes. Their brain isn't capable of processing it right now. Give it some time. They'll figure it out.

Most Iowans I know are smart and can read well The problem with some of the Hawkeye fans here is they are so desperate to be relevant that they'll completely gloss over anything that's not 100% complimentary of the Hawkeyes. Their brain isn't capable of processing it right now. Give it some time. They'll figure it out.

wonder if PSU winning 8 of the last 10 wrestling championships has something to do with it.

Would you have preferred metaphor? Paper tiger, perhaps? Once you’ve acquired a certain level of reading acumen, you’re able to infer the author’s intent, or “read between the lines.” Why an author chooses conjecture instead of more referential prose is his/her personal choice. Regardless, the piece says what it says. But you knew that.
You said "I neither took it as a moral victory nor discredited Iowa for the win. I’m merely observing the post-game talking points."

So, you blatantly lied. "Merely Observing" does not attach "paper tiger" or "pretender" terms to Iowa's win and those are definitely attempts to discredit the win. If you feel that way, fine, but don't insult our intelligence by saying you were "merely observing".

But you knew that, right?

You said "I neither took it as a moral victory nor discredited Iowa for the win. I’m merely observing the post-game talking points."

So, you blatantly lied. "Merely Observing" does not attach "paper tiger" or "pretender" terms to Iowa's win and those are definitely attempts to discredit the win. If you feel that way, fine, but don't insult our intelligence by saying you were "merely observing".

😂😂 I’ve said all along that PSU lost fair & square. How does that discredit their win? Never said my post had anything to do with how I felt…rather, I posted my “observation” from what two other published sources said. A bit passive-aggressive on my part? Sure, but whether or not I agree with those sources is irrelevant. Apologies for insulting your intelligence and/or blatantly lying…my intent was to do neither.

So according to you, the piece was written to be highly complimentary of the Squakeyes??? LMFAO

Thou doth protest too much.

If you're ranked #2 in the country, but wouldn't be favored when playing a lower-ranked opponent in the conference championship game, tell me how are you not viewed as a bit of a pretender, whether they use that exact term or not? Does everything have to be spelled out literally for you or it isn't true?

Unrelated but its physically impossible for this ball to be across the goal line based on where its tucked. Not a given they score a TD based on how our D has played in the Red Zone.

Iowa wide receiver Charlie Jones, right, scores a touchdown as Penn State safety Ji'Ayir Brown defends at Kinnick Stadium.'Ayir Brown defends at Kinnick Stadium.
I remember thinking that as well. Not sure of all the technical aspects but if it's where the ball is when he touches the pylon... then no, not a TD.

I remember thinking that as well. Not sure of all the technical aspects but if it's where the ball is when he touches the pylon... then no, not a TD.
I dont remember. Was the Call "Confirmed" or was it upheld (Call Stands, or whatever phrase they use when there is not clear video evidence). I thught it came back confirmed which i thought was more stunning than not overturning

Reactions: N&B4PSU

pylon is considered out of bounds. If the ball touches the pylon, it’s a TD. If any part of the body touches the pylon, they’re out of bounds. So not sure how this is ruled a TD, but whatever.

If you're ranked #2 in the country, but wouldn't be favored when playing a lower-ranked opponent in the conference championship game, tell me how are you not viewed as a bit of a pretender, whether they use that exact term or not? Does everything have to be spelled out literally for you or it isn't true?
I have no issue whatsoever with what is stated in the article.

What I take issue with is creating a thread titled with an uncomplimentary term about a team and then claiming that there was no such intent. Blatant lie and admitted passive/aggressive behavior.

No problem, just pointing out that the vast majority of posters bitching about Iowa and its fans are no better and in many cases worse. But keep it up, Karma is a bitch.

No school/program/geographic area has a monopoly on delusion or poor behavior. It is spread around evenly.

As soon as he touches the pylon he is out of bounds and the ball is dead where it is.

Makes me wonder why the booth guys didn't say anything.
they did, they literally said that when he touches the pylon the goal line is extended out and wherever the ball is is where it should be spotted

then they just kind of ignored that the ball was a half a yard short of the extended goal line

Reactions: Carl Spackler
I understand the threads here concerning Iowa being a pretender, and the annoyance with Ferentz defending his assistant for mocking PSU player injuries. There's a good case to be made for those arguments, and the trolling from Iowa partisans in the aftermath of the game is both annoying and pathetic. But even if the posts from PSU supporters on these topics are objectively reasonable, those posts still , unavoidably, carry a slight whiff of sour grapes, coming in the immediate wake of a loss.

Which makes me hope that the Lions get another chance to settle things with Iowa on the field, with Clifford back to full health and playing all four quarters. I would like nothing more than to beat the crap out of the Hawkeyes in the CCG, when it really counts.

But we’re better than Iowa fans. Some realism builds credibility. It was absolutely a blown call but also, in this instance, not likely critical to the outcome of the game. I mean, I don’t have stats in front of me but the Iowa QB sneak seemed to get 2.5 yds per play. The Norm Parker crap is ludicrous.
Norm Parker is no Don Brown

But we’re better than Iowa fans. Some realism builds credibility. It was absolutely a blown call but also, in this instance, not likely critical to the outcome of the game. I mean, I don’t have stats in front of me but the Iowa QB sneak seemed to get 2.5 yds per play. The Norm Parker crap is ludicrous.
True - any talk of Norm Parker making in-game adjustments is ludicrous given he died in 2014.

It absolutely is where the ball is whe he touches the pylon. He is considered OB as soon as he touches the Pylon. The ball is spotted at the mark where it is the moment he touches the pylon (which is the length of his arm +.... roughly 1 yard imo).

BWAHAHAHAHA! Karma's a bitch.

Considering lowly unranked Purdue just crushed Iowa, just imagine how bad PSU would have beaten them if SC didn't go down?

It does say:

How'd that work out for you guys? A great big joke!!!

ADVERTISEMENT