ADVERTISEMENT

IOC Suspends Russia, effective immediately.

AndEEss

Jul 7, 2020
The unilateral decision taken by the Russian Olympic Committee on 5 October 2023 to include, as its members, the regional sports organisations which are under the authority of the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of Ukraine (namely Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk and Zaporizhzhia) constitutes a breach of the Olympic Charter because it violates the territorial integrity of the NOC of Ukraine, as recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in accordance with the Olympic Charter.

This has some pretty interesting implications.

1) Changes up the 74kg landscape, as Sidakov is the final boss.
2) Changes 97kg dramatically, too, for obvious reasons.
3) Uguev, out.

eh. doesn't change much. They can still compete as AIN.

The bigger hurdle is France is on record as saying that they will deny all Russian/Belarussian Visas for competition.

And this will do nothing to help them change their minds.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
eh. doesn't change much. They can still compete as AIN.

The bigger hurdle is France is on record as saying that they will deny all Russian/Belarussian Visas for competition.

And this will do nothing to help them change their minds.
I still bear a grudge against France for not allowing our armed forces to fly over their air space in 1986

For years South Africa was banned from international competition and nobody complained about "politics." The fact is that the Russian regime is VERY involved with their sports programs to the point that they've sponsored doping programs for their athletes. It's also worth noting that Russia waited until after the winter olympics to invade Ukraine so Putin realizes that there will be some heat of him if all Russians are banned from competing. I don't think it's the least bit crazy to think that this kind of pressure could hasten the end of their invasion of Ukraine.

Just who is the Russian regime anyway? Putin himself or the 5 million communist beurocrats in government?

Most get the sense that this is "Putin's war", while he does have a pretty long record of filing up cemeteries with his opposition. I am far from an apologist and hope this whole mess ends soon in some sort of coup, or assassination.

That said I see a chasm between indefensable geopolitical blunders and barbarism, and the atheletes of any particular county themselves. Whereas State sponsored athletic cheating through doping is a whole other matter and should of course result in banning and other severe sanctions.

For many if not most Olympic athletes, the window for peak performance and the chance at a lifetime dream of a medal alligns to a single Olympic window, where 4 years earlier or 4 years later miss that onetime moment. Years of training leading up to that moment for not, hopes and dreams dashed, because some madman, well beyond ones reach or influence, is just plain evil.

What is that athelete specifically to do? Puff out his chest and take to the streets in protest? Putin has a way of dealing with such things, that will result in a next man up for that team. Even if the athelete is publicly opposed to the government's policies, will the IOC then issue a waiver to attend? No chance. Guilt by association is a perilous path.

It wasn't so long ago, the now second worst president in my lifetime, killed the olympic dreams for our and our allies athletes, in some misguided belief that full political, social, economic pressure would make a difference. The result is hundreds of our very best had that fleeting moment in their history dashed forever, for next to zero real benefit. It did make the politicians feel good, as they were doing something, and for that political persuasion, that's all that matters. Intent over outcome, always.

In the end what did make a difference was the threat of annihilation. That threat came from the next guy in line and the crisis ended rapidly without a shot being fired.

So in the end, I despise communism, and don't particularly like any Russian sports team. I admire the skill of several individual athletes who represent the best in the world at their craft.
That said when an athlete becomes a political pawn, virtually nothing good comes from it.

Sports used to be a haven for all to turn their backs on politics and enjoy competition unfettered. Unfortunately the modern temptation to make a statement to that captive audience is simply too great a temptation for the many beuracracies to resist. It is now difficult to watch any event without some social justice cause creeping in to better the world through appropriation or outright kidnapping. I long for the days when sports were pure.
We goin here today?

I still bear a grudge against France for not allowing our armed forces to fly over their air space in 1986
The French have been getting their ass kicked since Napoleon laid a big fat loss at Waterloo! (And for hundreds of years prior). Throw in a couple WW ass beatings and bailouts from the back to back World Champs and here we are. A pathetic country trying to make a “political statement”. If athletics does anything, it bridges a gap between the BS geo-political landscape that will get no better with this action. Nothing better than seeing Russians, Iranians and Americans share a mat, and share respect for each other through sport. France should reflect on the fact that the greatest claim they hold is we kept some of their names such as the St Lawrence River as they lost repeatedly in their attempts to hold colonialist relevance. Grow up France!

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Invading the country was bad, but usurping their athletics bureaucracy ... there must be consequences.

Meanwhile the IOC won't do diddly squat about nations/athletes who refuse to compete against Israelis.
I think this is well said. However, I’ve met tons of Iranians etc all over the world during my military career. Most Iranians actually LOVE western culture. They are terrified of their leadership. If they do something it’s usually a show for the regime who has before and will again kill its athletes who disobey the regime. So I’d ask all of us to consider that allowing the athletes to compete is not the same as allowing the country to compete. Those athletes are often icons in the country after winning. They become voices. If there is a chance one of these athletes becomes a politician in future and fixes things. Wouldn’t that be best for everyone? Stopping Athletes competing over political stance is usually the wrong answer.

statue of liberty tea GIF
The French have been getting their ass kicked since Napoleon laid a big fat loss at Waterloo! (And for hundreds of years prior). Throw in a couple WW ass beatings and bailouts from the back to back World Champs and here we are. A pathetic country trying to make a “political statement”. If athletics does anything, it bridges a gap between the BS geo-political landscape that will get no better with this action. Nothing better than seeing Russians, Iranians and Americans share a mat, and share respect for each other through sport. France should reflect on the fact that the greatest claim they hold is we kept some of their names such as the St Lawrence River as they lost repeatedly in their attempts to hold colonialist relevance. Grow up France!

"Sports used to be a haven for all to turn their backs on politics and enjoy competition unfettered. Unfortunately the modern temptation to make a statement to that captive audience is simply too great a temptation for the many beuracracies to resist. It is now difficult to watch any event without some social justice cause creeping in to better the world through appropriation or outright kidnapping. I long for the days when sports were pure."

When the olympics began, (back in Greece) they would actually stop fighting to have the games. Now like everything else, the politicians think of a way to use it to further their agendas. Not for the good of the people, but only for themselves. The people just want to get along and enjoy life. The politicians are looking for power and control. It is sad but true.

"Sports used to be a haven for all to turn their backs on politics and enjoy competition unfettered. Unfortunately the modern temptation to make a statement to that captive audience is simply too great a temptation for the many beuracracies to resist. It is now difficult to watch any event without some social justice cause creeping in to better the world through appropriation or outright kidnapping. I long for the days when sports were pure."

When the olympics began, (back in Greece) they would actually stop fighting to have the games. Now like everything else, the politicians think of a way to use it to further their agendas. Not for the good of the people, but only for themselves. The people just want to get along and enjoy life. The politicians are looking for power and control. It is sad but true.

And they wrestled naked. Just like in @johnstownsteel 's basement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT