ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat's Top 50 list

So we haven’t seen in no particular order..
N Lee, S Lee, Gable, Yianni, Brooks, O’Connor, Suriano and Carr. That’s 8 guys for 7 spots. They must not have Suriano on list because he’s teamless.

thoughts on Carr and O’Connor over RBY? My blue and white glasses say “hell no!”
The way this list is going they’ll probably have a tie for first. I mean, the Hodge did it.

Cmon Crabby..stop being crabby. It's gonna be Spencer 1, Gable 2 and Yianni 3..after that..I would go N Lee, Brooks, Carr, O'connor..we'll see if I'm right

Agree with your first three.

I could see them sliding N. Lee behind the others as he did have a loss on his record last year.

I'm going O'Connor as 4 because of undefeated season and a higher finish than Lee in 19.

Then Brooks/Carr as 5 and 6 in either order as they pretty much have the same record/results

Then N. Lee at 7

Reactions: pish69
Agree with your first three.

I could see them sliding N. Lee behind the others as he did have a loss on his record last year.

I'm going O'Connor as 4 because of undefeated season and a higher finish than Lee in 19.

Then Brooks/Carr as 5 and 6 in either order as they pretty much have the same record/results

Then N. Lee at 7
If not N Lee 4th then it has to be Brooks. Brooks 1 loss in 2 yrs. 149 not a tough weight last year and the only tough match AOC had was Sasso in finals..141 had a much tougher field with Eirman, SeaBass, wilson, etc..

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of AOC but in my eyes, he's not as good as any of the remaining 7...that being said..we're picking nits here..

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of AOC but in my eyes, he's not as good as any of the remaining 7...that being said..we're picking nits here..
If we’re factoring in freestyle results, it makes sense with his recent Jr world title. Though CStar taking 3rd at Senior WTT seems undervalued here.

Reactions: nitlion6 and pish69
If not N Lee 4th then it has to be Brooks. Brooks 1 loss in 2 yrs. 149 not a tough weight last year and the only tough match AOC had was Sasso in finals..141 had a much tougher field with Eirman, SeaBass, wilson, etc..

Carr also 1 loss in 2 years and much better competition than Brooks.

Reactions: stuclone
N Lee, S Lee, Gable, Yianni, Brooks, O’Connor, Suriano and Carr. That’s 8 guys for 7 spots. They must not have Suriano on list because he’s teamless.

thoughts on Carr and O’Connor over RBY? My blue and white glasses say “hell no!”
Carr I can see. O’Connor??? I don’t think so imo.

Reactions: pish69
Carr also 1 loss in 2 years and much better competition than Brooks.
Brooks was in real team competition not while redshirting. To me that makes a difference.

you gonna tell me Carr had stiffer competition during redshirt? No way. Brooks beat kid from UNI, Rutgers, Hidlay, Vtech..these were all the top guys at the weight last year. Carrr didn’t

Reactions: Ski
Brooks was in real team competition not while redshirting. To me that makes a difference.

you gonna tell me Carr had stiffer competition during redshirt? No way. Brooks beat kid from UNI, Rutgers, Hidlay, Vtech..these were all the top guys at the weight last year. Carrr didn’t
Deakin was in Carr’s weight and H Hidlay is better than anyone Brooks wrestled. Also Carr much more dominant.

I sure hope we’re not factoring in redshirt years to this discussion.

Reactions: stuclone
Anyone suggesting RBY should be ahead of Carr in the top 50 rankings needs to take their blue and white glasses off... RBY has 9 collegiate losses (including getting pinned by Gomez) to Carr's 1 collegiate loss

RBY took 7 of those losses while wrestling to an AA finish as a true freshman. Carr redshirted as a true freshman. RBY has finished on the podium twice. Carr once. Both have a natty. RBY's natty came over a world silver medalist.

My B&W glasses seem to be working just fine!

Brooks had to wrestle a human cannibal and won handily. Carr never beat a cannibal
Brands needs to be banished to North Sentinel Island to be with like-minded people and away from civil society

2-5.jpg

#6 Aaron Brooks (Penn State)

Weight: 184 lbs

Year: Junior

Career Record: 29-1

Hometown: North Hagerstown, Maryland

College Accomplishments: 2021 NCAA Champ, 2x Big Ten Champ, 2020 NWCA 1st Team All-American

2021-22 Preseason Ranking: #1 at 184 lbs

A Cadet World Championship in 2017 helped make Aaron Brooks one of the most coveted recruits in an absolutely loaded Class of 2018. A year later, Brooks made the Junior World Team and ended up coming away with a silver medal. Brooks did not immediately enroll at Penn State, though, as he took a greyshirt during the 2018-19 season. Once again, Brooks made the 2019 Junior World Team, but was unable to get on the medal stand.

The initial plan during Brooks' true freshman year was to keep him in redshirt, but Brooks emerged from the shirt in early December. In his first appearance wearing a Penn State singlet, Brooks notched a solid 10-5 victory over past NCAA Round of 12 finisher Chris Weiler (Lehigh).

Two weeks later, Brooks got his first significant test of the year with Nebraska's All-American Taylor Venz. The funky Venz was too much, at that time, for the freshman and Brooks fell 9-5.

In his next outing, Brooks did his part and defeated Abe Assad (Iowa) 7-3 in a battle in hostile territory at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. That wasn't enough as Penn State fell to the Hawkeyes 19-17.

Brooks started to hit his stride down the homestretch of the 2019-20 season and put together major decision victories over national qualifiers Rocky Jordan (Ohio State) and Owen Webster (Minnesota).

At his first Big Ten Championship event, Brooks replicated the result of his regular season contest with Webster and prevailed with a 15-4 major decision. The semifinals saw Brooks pair with the only wrestler to defeat him during the regular season, Venz. Brooks left no doubts as he pinned the Husker in 4:00. For the title, Brooks held off Michigan State's Cam Caffey, 3-2.

The Big Ten title helped Brooks earn the number three seed at the 2020 NCAA Championships. He and the rest of the 329 national qualifiers did not get to travel to Minneapolis as the national tournament was canceled at the outset of Covid. Some of the notables on Brooks' half of the bracket included #2 Hunter Bolen (Virginia Tech), #6 Caffey, #7 Venz, #10 Nino Bonaccorsi (Pittsburgh), and #11 Assad.

While Brooks was great as a true freshman, he came back in 2021 on a different level. He was six-for-six in capturing bonus points during regular season dual meets, a record marked by major decisions over Jordan and Weiler.

Brooks kept up his high-scoring ways at the Big Ten Championships, as he put up at least ten points in all three of his bouts. Once again, Brooks squared off with Venz in an important match. This time the Big Ten finals. He would capture title number two after cruising to a 10-5 win over the Husker vet.

A 9-0 record and bonus points in seven of his nine contests was good enough for the number one seed at the 2021 NCAA Championships. Brooks made his NCAA Tournament debut by teching Jha'Quan Anderson (Gardner-Webb) 17-1, before shutting out Webster, 5-0.

The NCAA quarterfinals was the scene for yet another meeting with Venz. Brooks continued his mastery over the only wrestler to defeat him in a collegiate match with a 9-4 win. That win sealed NCAA All-American honors for the first time. To make the national finals, Brooks had to get by tough freshman Parker Keckiesen (Northern Iowa), which he did by the score of 6-4.

In the NCAA finals it was the second seed Trent Hidlay (NC State) who advanced through the bottom half of the bracket. Hidlay was able to keep Brooks in-check like no one else all year, A takedown in the second period proved to be the difference for Brooks and he ended up fending off Hidlay attacks in the final stanza.

Through two years of competition, Brooks only has one loss, which he has avenged three times, and has a pair of Big Ten titles.

Strengths: Brooks has excellent movement on his feet and quick level changes. The is frequently clubbing his opponent's head trying to set up an offensive attack. He can score with a wide array of leg attacks, from low single's to high-C's, to inside-reach singles, or doubles. Though he doesn't need to resort to scrambling very often, he can acquit himself well in those situations. His footspeed combined with his hands defense, leads to easy takedowns from go-behind's. On the mat, Brooks is actively looking for wrists and can compile riding times, but typically doesn't turn top-level competitors.

2021-22 Outlook: Coming in as the number one ranked wrestler at 184 lbs, all eyes are on Brooks to repeat. He'll have another challenge in the Big Ten as four-time All-American and Olympic bronze medalist Myles Amine (Michigan) has dropped down from 197 lbs. The two, along with Hidlay, and the freshmen (Keckeisen and John Poznanski - Rutgers) should be the elite tier at the weight.

A lot being said about Amine dropping back down but in my opinion Parker Keckiesen is going to be Aaron’s biggest threat this year.
Amine can drop down, then after the season in a top 50 ranking we can rank Amine ahead of 2 time champ Brooks. When ask why, someone can say because Amine has been around for 5 years.

The last of our guys!!
#4 Nick Lee (Penn State)

Weight: 141 lbs

Year: Senior

Career Record: 97-13

Hometown: Evansville, Indiana

College Accomplishments: 2021 NCAA Champ, 2x Big Ten Runner-Up, 2019 NCAA 5th Place, 2018 NCAA 5th Place, 2020 NWCA First-Team All-American

2021-22 Preseason Ranking: #2 at 141 lbs
Competing as a true freshman, Nick Lee immediately had some success with a runner-up finish at the season-opening Clarion Open. Lee earned a spot in the finals after tech falling Kyle Shoop (Lock Haven). He finished the tournament with a loss to Brock Zacherl (Clarion).

A week later, at the Bearcat Open, Lee ran into fellow true freshman Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) and was on the wrong end of a 12-7 decision. That bout took place in the semis and Lee wound up in third place.

Lee's breakout event was the Southern Scuffle, where he notched bonus-point victories over the likes of returning national qualifiers Josh Alber (Northern Iowa), Evan Cheek (Cleveland State), and Russell Rohlfing (CSU Bakersfield). In the finals, Lee was pinned in the second period by redshirting freshman Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma State).

Post-Scuffle, Lee really hit his stride with six consecutive wins over conference foes; four came via bonus points, one of which was a 13-3 major decision over All-American Tommy Thorn (Minnesota). Lee's brief winning streak was halted in a 7-6 shootout loss to Joey McKenna (Ohio State).

At his first Big Ten Championship, Lee fell in the semis to Mike Carr (Illinois) and finished in third place. That finish was good enough for the eighth seed at the 2018 NCAA Championships.

In his first NCAA Tournament match, Lee was greeted rudely by Ryan Diehl (Maryland), who shocked the freshman with a first-period fall. To Lee's credit, he didn't hang his head; he battled back through the consolations with five straight wins, locking up a place in the top-six. His road to All-American status included wins over #9 Alber, #10 Mason Smith (Central Michigan), #16 Cole Weaver (Indiana), and #12 Tyler Smith (Bucknell).

After majoring Sa'Derian Perry (Eastern Michigan) in the consolation quarterfinals, Lee fell to Jaydin Eierman (Missouri), also by major decision. He closed out his freshman campaign with a win in sudden victory over Kevin Jack (NC State) for fifth-place.

Lee's sophomore year started off on fire. He won his first 14 matches of the 2018-19 season with bonus points. That streak stopped in the Southern Scuffle finals against redshirting freshman Real Woods (Stanford), by the score of 6-3.

Just two matches later, Lee suffered a stunning defeat to Wisconsin's Tristan Moran in dual meet action, 12-10 in sudden victory.

In early February, Lee logged his most significant win of the regular season. He posted a 7-6 win over McKenna in Penn State's 28-9 rout of Ohio State.

At the Big Ten Championships, Lee had the opportunity to exact revenge and get served some himself. He fell to McKenna by a point in the semifinals, but had the chance to meet Moran, again. This time Lee won by major decision, 11-3, on his way to third place. This time, his third-place finished netted the third seed at the 2019 NCAA Championships.

There were no first-round upsets this time at the NCAA Championships. Lee started his tournament with back-to-back falls against Nate Limmex and Perry. He clinched his second career set of All-American honors by downing Max Murin (Iowa) 4-1. That set the stage for another meeting with McKenna in the NCAA semifinals. Once again, the bout went to McKenna, 4-3.

In the consolation semifinals, Lee had a difficult matchup with Dom Demas (Oklahoma). The inside-trip master was able to open up his offense in a 13-9 win. For the second consecutive year, Lee finished up in fifth-place, this time after pinning Mitch McKee (Minnesota).

In 2019-20, Lee went through the entire regular season without tasting defeat. He won 15 of his first 16 bouts by bonus points, including wins over returning AA's McKee and Chad Red (Nebraska). His 17th match came against Ohio State and, once again, he picked up a massive win against the Buckeyes. Lee handed Luke Pletcher his first loss of the year, 8-4, in the Nittany Lions 20-16 win over Ohio State.

Just like in 2019, Lee's Ohio State opponent was able to exact revenge at the Big Ten Championships, this time in the finals as Pletcher turned the tables with a 6-5 win. Lee's 20-1 record and a runner-up finish at the B1G tournament was good enough for the second seed at the 2020 NCAA Championships. That tournament never happened as it was canceled at the beginning of the Covid outbreak. Notable contenders on Lee's half of the bracket included #3 Real Woods, #6 Red, #7 Murin, #10 McKee, and #11 Zach Sherman (North Carolina). Lee was named a first-team All-American by the NWCA.

During the shortened 2021 regular season, Lee didn't clash with any of the top contenders in the conference. He managed to top bonus point status in five of those six contests.

At the 2021 Big Ten Championships, held on the campus of Penn State, Lee was given the second seed, which meant he'd have to contend with returning 133 lb B1G champion Sebastian Rivera (Rutgers), in the semis. Lee prevailed 8-6 in extra time during an excellent bout. The Big Ten final featured Lee against new Iowa Hawkeye, Jaydin Eierman (Iowa). The two engaged in an action-packed bout that saw Eierman finish on top, 6-5.

That put Lee in as the second seed at the 2021 NCAA Championships. Lee had to travel what proved to be a challenging path at nationals, though you wouldn't know from his results. His second and third opponents (Sherman and South Dakota State's Clay Carlson) ended up meeting each other for seventh place later in the tournament. Again he'd meet Rivera in the semis. This time, the bout was more one-sided as Lee got his hand raised after a 9-3 win.

Lee had gotten over the hump and made it to the NCAA finals against Big Ten foe Eierman. This time it was Lee who came up clutch with a 4-2 win in sudden victory. It was Lee's third NCAA All-American honor and made him one of four national champions for Penn State.

A little bit over a month later, Lee was back in action at the Olympic Team Trials. After losing Jordan Oliver in his second match, Lee stormed through the consolations to claim third place and earn a spot on the national team. His consi run included wins over NCAA champion Nahshon Garrett, Penn State legend Zain Retherford, and two-time NCAA champion Yianni Diakomihalis.

Strengths: Lee has always been known for his high motor and gas tank. His pace and volume of attacks routinely force opponents to wilt. Lee can strike with various leg attacks, especially high c's and inside reach singles. For all the marbles, in sudden victory of the NCAA finals, Lee responded with an inside trip. While Lee is dangerous on his feet, he's also always a threat to score on the mat. Lee is constantly looking for either a cross wrist tilt or a wing and claw. He is even able to get back points from those moves against top-level opponents.

2021-22 Outlook: Lee starts the year ranked #2 in the nation, behind Diakomihalis. Not only will Lee have to worry about Yianni and Eierman, but also Stevan Micic (Michigan), who will be a very tough conference opponent. Their Big Ten bracket will likely be the deepest of the tournament. Even so, Lee can rise to the top at both the Big Ten and NCAA Championships.

I'm sticking with Rokfin and getting Intermat is definitely a bonus. Watch matches on Flo is like watching TV in the 70s when you had to stand up and hold the rabbit ears half the time to get a signal. They have serious technology problems.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I couldn’t agree more. Spencer may yet wind up the goat but he ain’t it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT