ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat's Top 50 list

i definitely prefer Amine over Ferrari. Amine was in the mix for 4 years. Ferrari got it done, but once.

if you don't agree with that process than the entire top 10 would be nothing but last year's champs in some order. and Mekhi would be ahead of guys like Fix. i just can't agree with that.

to each their own, though.
Love your work, Willie. I might agree with you only if Ferrari and Amine have never wrestled each other for the sake of the benefit of the doubt. But they have wrestled, Amine is never going to touch Ferrari again, even if Amine at 97. Heck, had Beard's throw not slipped, Amine might not have made it to the finals against Ferrari.

Last edited:
Might not just designate last year's champs as the automatic top 10, but I have a tough time thinking a one or more time champion doesn't carry significantly more weight than a never time champ who made the semi-finals two or three times. Heck, a one for one champion should be more significant than a guy who is a zero time champ after failing in the finals twice.
well Ferrari got it done first yr already puts him ahead of Amine!! thats all folks!

i definitely prefer Amine over Ferrari. Amine was in the mix for 4 years. Ferrari got it done, but once.

if you don't agree with that process than the entire top 10 would be nothing but last year's champs in some order. and Mekhi would be ahead of guys like Fix. i just can't agree with that.

to each their own, though.
So how do you justify CStar over Kem? Isn’t it the exact same case? Cstar got it done in one match last year, but Kem has been in the streets for years.

FWIW I think CStar should be ahead of Kem, but don’t see how you can have it both ways. These are almost identical situations (minus the olympic bronze).

I know they lost a year of eligibility, and I am not just talking freshman, but did they not award AA status to some that year, that was my question. I googled it and the NWCA did award AA status to 8 wrestlers at each weight class. Is NWCA AA different than top 8 on the podium AA status?

So my brain wasn't working. So, not sure if anyone fits this, but if they AA'ed in the 2018 and 2019 NCAA's, then were on the list below, which would be their third, then again AA'ed at last years NCAA's (a free year) and come back to AA at 2022 NCAA's, that makes 5.

NWCA 2019-2020 All Americans
Right. 5 (not 6) as in
it possible to have a 6 time AA?

That was my point.

There are more than a few that can be 5 time AAs.

So how do you justify CStar over Kem? Isn’t it the exact same case? Cstar got it done in one match last year, but Kem has been in the streets for years.

FWIW I think CStar should be ahead of Kem, but don’t see how you can have it both ways. These are almost identical situations (minus the olympic bronze).

I believe you just yada yada'd an Olympic bronze medal. Impressive.

Is it though? The introductory text says international achievements figure in. An Olympic bronze is a fairly significant one of those.
Ok, then I take that comment back. Don’t have Intermat so haven’t read the criteria. Kind of strange to be ranking college wrestlers by freestyle success, but whatever.

I guess get prepared for Fix over RBY in that case. Spencer #3 behind Gable and Yianni.

Ok, then I take that comment back. Don’t have Intermat so haven’t read the criteria. Kind of strange to be ranking college wrestlers by freestyle success, but whatever.

I guess get prepared for Fix over RBY in that case. Spencer #3 behind Gable and Yianni.
How do you not have InterMat? You’re very knowledgeable (even though I don’t agree with you a lot) and all over the boards. Since Willie took over InterMat is outstanding

Unless of course you are Nomad..I’ve always suspected you of being Nomad for some reason. Nothing negative just the way you come across

How do you not have InterMat? You’re very knowledgeable (even though I don’t agree with you a lot) and all over the boards. Since Willie took over InterMat is outstanding

Unless of course you are Nomad..I’ve always suspected you of being Nomad for some reason. Nothing negative just the way you come across
I don’t see the value in paying for a service. I pay for Flo strictly for the live video. Not going to pay to hear someone’s opinions when there are plenty of free options like this message board.

Reactions: Ski and PABulldogs
I don’t see the value in paying for a service. I pay for Flo strictly for the live video. Not going to pay to hear someone’s opinions when there are plenty of free options like this message board.
All the content is also on Rokfin now—I forgot about that. So if you pay Rokfin for live events, you already have access.

Reactions: crablegs1

I think @crablegs1 is actually a legit, experienced wrestler, though.

Also, crabs, your previous post suggests you might not have seen the mention of Fix being named #9 (latter half of Pg 5 of this thread). So, RBY is ahead of him, probably owing to him having been ‘in the mix’ a while.

Reactions: crablegs1
I think @crablegs1 is actually a legit, experienced wrestler, though.

Also, crabs, your previous post suggests you might not have seen the mention of Fix being named #9 (latter half of Pg 5 of this thread). So, RBY is ahead of him, probably owing to him having been ‘in the mix’ a while.
Must have missed that. So Amine over Ferrari despite the head to head because of Olympic Bronze. World silver not given same consideration. Shrug.

Reactions: nitlion6
So quick question regarding Intermat and Rofkin. Do most people have all three. My absolute favorite is this message board though.
Flo is $150 per year
Intermat is $???
Rofkin is $???

So quick question regarding Intermat and Rofkin. Do most people have all three. My absolute favorite is this message board though.
Flo is $150 per year
Intermat is $???
Rofkin is $???

Like @nerfstate said, a Rokfin subscription gets you Intermat.

I personally have both. I really only use Flo for their events coverage. I don't find myself going to their site too often otherwise.

Rokfin has a ton of content, and more creators/events are getting added all the time. Highly recommend getting a subscription if you don't already have one.

Flo is $150 per year
Intermat is $???
Rofkin is $???
Reminder that with Rokfin, you have your choice of who gets your $10/mo (NLWC for most here) -- and then the rest of Rokfin comes with it for free.

Most if not all Intermat paid articles are cross-posted on Rokfin.

Flo is $150 per year
Intermat is $???
Rofkin is $???
I cancelled Flo this year (expires this month). Lack of content and no B1G matches killed it for me.

I had initially signed up for InterMat when Willie took over for like $40 for the year or something like that.

I had Rokfin for the NLWC events and now that InterMat is on Rokfin I have all the necessary content I want.

I suscribe to BIG10+ for $15 monthly during the wrestling season and will cancel in April

I’ve heard you can get BIG+ for $10 monthly but not sure how that works

Reactions: PSU James
pish69
I hope are you going to resume the InterMat 50 countdown. if so, on this board or on On3?

pish69
I hope are you going to resume the InterMat 50 countdown. if so, on this board or on On3?

I was hoping InterMat would. 🤷‍♂️

They must really be trying to build the suspense. They haven't put any out since Fix 6 days ago...

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Love your work, Willie. I might agree with you only if Ferrari and Amine have never wrestled each other for the sake of the benefit of the doubt. But they have wrestled, Amine is never going to touch Ferrari again, even if Amine at 97. Heck, had Beard's throw not slipped, Amine might not have made it to the finals against Ferrari.

yeah i spaced it on that. bad example. agree with AJ > Amine based on head to head and agree w/ Starocci > Kem on head to head.

generally speaking though, i don't agree that 1 title as a Frosh makes you a greater wrestler than a SR with a few Top 4 finishes.

and i definitely don't care how many pts Fix scored in the finals...he got to the finals.

#8!!
#8 Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)

Weight: 133 lbs

Year: Junior

Career Record: 59-9

Hometown: Tucson, Arizona

College Accomplishments: 2021 NCAA Champ, 2021 Big Ten Champ, 2020 NWCA All-American, 2019 NCAA 8th Place

2021-22 Preseason Ranking: #1 at 133 lbs

An undefeated record in Arizona, with four state titles, and a Cadet freestyle national title in Fargo, helped make Roman Bravo-Young one of the most sought-after recruits in the high school Class of 2018. Bravo-Young chose to enroll at Penn State to help stabilize their 133 lb weight class. The Nittany Lions did not have an All-American in either of the previous two years, which has become an eternity in State College.

With that in mind, Bravo-Young was thrust into the Penn State lineup immediately and proved to be an exceptional talent immediately. Bravo-Young won his first ten bouts in a Nittany Lion singlet, a span that went into the 2019 Southern Scuffle. There he was stunned and pinned by fellow freshman Austin Gomez (Iowa State). RBY responded with a third-place finish, then proceeded to win his first three Big Ten duals.

That brief streak came to an end with a surprising loss to Purdue's Ben Thornton. Bravo-Young appeared to be injured in the bout and stumbled to a 7-3 defeat. Even so, in his next outing, Bravo-Young turned in his most significant win of the season, to date, taking out returning All-American Luke Pletcher (Ohio State), 2-1 in tiebreakers.

A few weeks later, Pletcher would get his revenge in the semifinals of the Big Ten Championships, 8-5. The Nittany Lion freshman finished fifth after another loss, this time at the hands of Iowa's Austin DeSanto.

The fifth-place finish at the Big Ten Championships gave RBY the 10th seed at his first NCAA Tournament. After an opening-round win over Mario Guillen (Ohio), Bravo-Young was again paired with DeSanto, the seventh seed. Again it was DeSanto who prevailed, this time by a 7-2 score.

Just to earn a spot on the podium, RBY had to down #9 Chas Tucker (Cornell), #15 Thornton, and #4 Micky Phillipi (Pittsburgh). The Phillipi win came in the Round of 12 and was only the fourth loss of the year for the stingy Panther.

Bravo-Young would settle for eighth place after losses to John Erneste (Missouri) and Ethan Lizak (Minnesota). Though he may not have been satisfied with eighth place, Bravo-Young was the only true freshman AA at 133 lbs, a weight class that was deemed by most experts as the toughest in the last decade.

That weight class wasn't much different in 2019-20, but Bravo-Young improved with another offseason in the PSU wrestling room. He won his first 14 matches of the year and tallied bonus points in nine of those contests. Most notable was an injury default over DeSanto. Early in their heated dual, Bravo-Young locked up a cradle and appeared to be on the way to a pin. But, as DeSanto was turned to his back and was injured and ended up unable to continue.

Less than a week after the DeSanto win, Bravo-Young suffered his only loss of the regular season, a one-point setback to 2018 NCAA champion Seth Gross (Wisconsin).

At the Big Ten Championships, another bout with DeSanto was on the horizon. This one had less fireworks, but still ended in Bravo-Young's favor, 3-2. He would come up just short of a title, though, losing to Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern), who was fired up to wrestle in his home state.

The finals loss to Rivera gave Bravo-Young a 19-2 record and put him in as the fifth seed at the 2020 NCAA Championships. Unfortunately, the tournament was canceled at the outset of the Covid pandemic.
Notables on RBY's half of the bracket included #1 Rivera, #4 Phillipi, #8 Montorie Bridges (Wyoming), #9 Noah Gonser (Campbell).

The abridged 2021 campaign saw RBY cruise through a regular season that did not feature any duals against the top contenders in the B1G.

The 2021 Big Ten Championships were held on Penn State's campus, so RBY was able to compete in front of his home crowd (or a select group of family and friends). Bravo-Young made it to his second consecutive conference final after breezing by tough freshman Chris Cannon (Northwestern), 8-3. For his first conference crown, Bravo-Young notched another win over his Hawkeye rival, DeSanto.

A 9-0 record and a Big Ten title netted Bravo-Young with the second seed at the 2021 NCAA Championships. RBY scored bonus points in each of his first two bouts, getting a tech fall, before a major decision. In the quarterfinals, he held off eventual All-American Louie Hayes (Virginia), 4-1. After securing All-American honors for a second time, Bravo-Young edged Hayes' in-state rival, Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech), by a 5-3 score.

The Myers victory propelled the Nittany Lion star in the NCAA finals opposite the undefeated top-seeded Daton Fix (Oklahoma State). The two were knotted in a 2-2 match after seven minutes and needed extra time to decide a victory. In sudden victory, Bravo-Young stunned his Oklahoma State foe and secured a takedown to win and national title, 4-2.

Strengths: Bravo-Young has great footwork, movement, and keeps his stance. His motion and pressure on his opponent's head often leads to snapdowns and relatively easy takedowns. Bravo-Young's movement and impeccable timing leads to excellent reshots. Perhaps his best shot is a double leg. While, Bravo-Young's offense is his calling card, his riding skills can be underrated. That skillset proved to be a difference-maker in his national final against Fix. He and the PSU staff also constructed and executed an excellent game plan against DeSanto. Bravo-Young may be the first wrestler to wrestle with his arm behind his back to nullify DeSanto's dump attempts. His ability to stick to the gameplan has led to three consecutive wins against the Hawkeye. Bravo-Young is also deadly with cradles and can score from tilts, while on top.

2021-22 Outlook: As an undefeated, returning NCAA champion, RBY will be a favorite to repeat this year. Of course, that path to a title runs through Fix, who has since won a world silver medal in the offseason.

Yes..gonna finish up here. I’ll post to the other board if they bring this thread over as well. Right now InterMat hasn’t updated anything. As soon as I see #8 I will post!
thx Pish69...deeply appreciated...will continue to follow you on this site

Reactions: danoftw and pish69
So we haven’t seen in no particular order..
N Lee, S Lee, Gable, Yianni, Brooks, O’Connor, Suriano and Carr. That’s 8 guys for 7 spots. They must not have Suriano on list because he’s teamless.

thoughts on Carr and O’Connor over RBY? My blue and white glasses say “hell no!”

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I subscribe to Flo, Rokfin and BTN+. A Flo membership gives you a lot more than just wrestling (their track and xc coverage is especially good) AND only they give you streams of tournaments (like Clarion) where you see the rest of the team. Flo has some great documentaries too - Terry, Kolat, Chance, Hall, etc. I was quite pleased when Flo gave you Big Ten matches too but you need BTN+ again for that. And if you want to follow other Penn State sports, BTN+ a must. I started Rokfin during the pandemic when the NLWC started putting on events. Getting Willie and Pa Power Wrestling with it is bonus. I don't subscribe to much, but am happy with all three.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
ADVERTISEMENT