ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat's Top 50 list

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Pretty cool idea IMO. Intermat is doing a recurring list leading into the season..starting at #50 and ending at 1.

Our boy Kerk comes in at #50! Interested to see where our other guys fall in. I'm thinking we'll have 6 guys on this list (maybe 4 in top 10)

If my memory serves me right, only two people have scored offensive points on Gable Steveson in a very long time, and that’s Geno Petriashvelli and this guy who just came in at #50. That alone, to me, should have him ranked higher.

Pretty cool idea IMO. Intermat is doing a recurring list leading into the season..starting at #50 and ending at 1.

Our boy Kerk comes in at #50! Interested to see where our other guys fall in. I'm thinking we'll have 6 guys on this list (maybe 4 in top 10)

Love this. Should generate some good discussions on the boards as well. I'm gonna guess PSU gets 5 on the list to start and last one of the season they have 7.

Reactions: pish69
My other 5 PSU guys in no particular order..RBY, Lee, Starocci, Brooks and Dean
Yeah...Dean is the one I left off the list but wouldnt if it were mine. I think intermat leaves him off maybe unfairly because he didnt wrestle last season and hes moving up a weight so it seems. Think they will rank a bit lower than they should as well.

49..Ben Darmstadt 48..Dakota Geer..
Based on these two, Dean will easily make the list unless this top 50 is out of whack in comparison to their rankings. These two are ranked around 7 or 8 at their weight so theres gonna be quite a few highly ranked wrestlers at other weights that wont make the list.

Based on these two, Dean will easily make the list unless this top 50 is out of whack in comparison to their rankings. These two are ranked around 7 or 8 at their weight so theres gonna be quite a few highly ranked wrestlers at other weights that wont make the list.
I'm guessing that, at 197, Darmstadt would/will beat Dean. I'm also guessing that Darmstadt is actually under-ranked at (Intermat) #6. Time will tell!

Reactions: tikk10
I'm guessing that, at 197, Darmstadt would/will beat Dean. I'm also guessing that Darmstadt is actually under-ranked at (Intermat) #6. Time will tell!
Darmstadt looked ready to put it all together after winning the 2020 EIWAs, which is the last time he wrestled (folk anyway). Lanky for that weight so poses matchup problems and unique looks, stronger than you'd think looking at him, great instincts. Can go with anyone, but occasionally takes some weird losses.

Was really excited to follow this list, then I saw Dakota Geer at #48, I'm out!
Not sure if you have to be "premium" to view the link in my original post. Intermat gives a great writeup on each wrestlers accomplishments and their thought process. I didnt want to copy those since I don't want to break no copy right laws. That being said, I will copy Kerkliviet and any PSU guys. Willie..if you're reading this, let me know if that's ok. If not, I'll take it down.

Kerk's bio from Intermat..since Willie took over..they've really stepped up their content.

#50 - Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)

Weight:
285 lbs

Year: Freshman

Career Record: 10-4

Hometown: Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota

College Accomplishments: 2021 NCAA 7th Place; 2021 Big Ten 4th Place

2021-22 Preseason Ranking: #5 at 285 lbs

A phenom on the age-group level, Greg Kerkvliet came into State College with sky-high expectations after being labeled the top recruit in the high school Class of 2019. Those were earned by a Cadet world championship in 2017 and a silver medal the following year. The opponent that defeated Kerkvliet at the 2018 Cadet World Championships was Amir Zare (Iran), who recently claimed an Olympic bronze medal. That year, Kerkvliet also earned a place on the Junior world team but had to pull out due to an injury. His replacement, Zach Elam, went on to take silver.

Kerkvliet's recruitment and journey to Penn State was one of the most unusual ones in recent memory. At one point, Kerkvliet committed to staying in-state and wrestle for Minnesota, before switching over to Oklahoma State. After decommitting from the Cowboys, Kerkvliet signed with Ohio State. He only would spend a semester in Columbus before transferring to Penn State.

During his redshirt season, Kerkvliet went 9-0 competing unattached at Penn State. He would capture bonus points in six of those contests and claimed titles at the Shorty Hitchcock Classic and the Mat-Town Open. Kerkvliet's best win that year came over fellow unattached stud Lewis Fernandes (Cornell), 6-4.

Kerkvliet's 2021 season is one that almost didn't happen. On February 10th, Nittany Lion head coach Cael Sanderson publicly stated that his 285 lber would be out for the year due to an injury. After the NCAA Tournament, Kerkvliet gave some explanation regarding the uncertainty surrounding his season. A staph infection, followed by two blood clots, prevented him from any physical activity for two months. Miraculously, he was able to get cleared for Penn State's dual with Maryland on February 21st and picked up two wins via fall.

Kerkvliet's Big Ten Tournament could be looked at through two different lenses. His lack of mat time, obviously took its toll on him as he was majored by two of the top contenders, Mason Parris (Michigan) and Tony Cassioppi (Iowa). On the other hand, Greg still finished fourth in the conference and racked up a win against returning All-American Trent Hillger (Wisconsin) and rankings-mainstay Christian Lance (Nebraska).

Two weeks later, in St. Louis, Kerkvliet was closer to top form. As the ninth-seed, he faced fellow Minnesota big-man, Gable Steveson and fell, 9-4. Though he lost, it was only one of two regular decisions on the year for the future Olympic gold medalist. Just to get to Steveson, Kerkvliet had to down past All-American Jordan Wood (Lehigh), which he did to the tune of a 12-2 major decision. To secure a place among the top-eight, Kerkvliet majored Austin Harris (Oklahoma State), 13-5. He would fall in his next match to another world-level opponent, Cohlton Schultz (Arizona State), 14-8. Kerkvliet finished seventh after an 11-3 major decision win over Tate Orndorff (Ohio State).

Strengths: Variety of leg attacks from his feet. Tall, long, athletic build, which can outclass the majority of his opponents. Big-match international experience.

2021-22 Outlook: Based on ability and potential, Kerkvliet could finish much higher if this list were compiled after the upcoming season. With last week's announcement that Steveson will return at 285 lbs next season, winning a title will be a monumental, uphill task for anyone else in the field. That being said, with a full, healthy offseason, it's not unreasonable to think that Kerkvliet might be able to unseat a couple of opponents that finished ahead of him in 2021. While it's not a complete apples-to-apples comparison, he did log a 4-4 win on criteria over Parris at the Olympic Trials in early April.

Top 50 means, on average, 5 per weight.
Obviously that can vary weigh to weight. But Geer finished 5th last year (and is a 2x AA), so he earned consideration.

And jeez, 48th -- it's not he's ranked top 10 PFP. His inclusion doesn't soil the entire list.

Now when they put Steveson ahead of RBY, Nick, Carter, AND Aaron -- then the whole list is crap.

I'm interested who they put at 4. Assuming the top 3 will be Gable, Spencer and Yianni
If it were strictly by NCAA credentials, then it has to be Suriano. He's the only other champ to be a 2x finalist.

Of course we already know from Kerk's inclusion + write-up that other factors are considered (as they should be).

thanks for reading, guys. this was all Earl's design/concept. i would prefer ya don't copy and paste premium stuff, but ya know, whatever. i'm not gonna pitch a fit about it.

here's a spoiler alert - Max Dean is on the list.
Thanks Willie. I’ll just update the list with the names but won’t copy paste anymore.

Earls done a great job no doubt. There’s new content every day and premium certainly worth it for the price

If it were strictly by NCAA credentials, then it has to be Suriano. He's the only other champ to be a 2x finalist.

Of course we already know from Kerk's inclusion + write-up that other factors are considered (as they should be).
You could be right..but Nick hasn’t wrestled in 2 yrs. Nick is 1 for 2 in his two tournaments. Carter and Aaron are 1 for 1 (same with Ferrari and Carr). So what gets weighted higher..being 100% or 50%? Like you said, so many possibilities based on subjectivity. Love this stuff

Reactions: Thenightking
thanks for reading, guys. this was all Earl's design/concept. i would prefer ya don't copy and paste premium stuff, but ya know, whatever. i'm not gonna pitch a fit about it.

A man of the people.

#listokcontentnotsook

Reactions: hlstone

Might want to reconsider............I hear FLO Karen is currently available :)

Have you ever looked at some of these kids and thought "man, I wonder how good he would have gotten if he went to PSU?".
giphy.gif

Cackling at the idea that y'all were worried an NCAA finalist wasn't going to make the top 50 list. Have some faith in your top recruiter! He knows what he's doing.

Cackling at the idea that y'all were worried an NCAA finalist wasn't going to make the top 50 list. Have some faith in your top recruiter! He knows what he's doing.
Worried? Personally I wished theyd leave the entire PSU team off the list. I like it better when my team gets ...oh...I dont know...like 4 national champions when no one expects them to.

Worried? Personally I wished theyd leave the entire PSU team off the list. I like it better when my team gets ...oh...I dont know...like 4 national champions when no one expects them to.
yeah everybody was SHOCKED when you guys had 4 top 3 seeds win. totally out of nowhere for sure.

Reactions: MikeDerukey
yeah everybody was SHOCKED when you guys had 4 top 3 seeds win. totally out of nowhere for sure.
I was shocked tbh lol. Only Aaron was supposed to win. I think most people were picking Daton (I could be wrong but that was the vibes I was getting since Daton is much more accomplished) and Eierman/Kemerer just beat their counterparts at Big Tens, Kemerer handily as can be. That's a reason why PSU fans were enjoying this year so much despite the fact we didn't win.

Hindsight 20-20, maybe I shouldn't be anymore, crazy after 10 years I still have doubts about PSU wrestling performing on that stage. I'm sure I'll have doubts again next year.

Reactions: yekrut321
I was shocked tbh lol. Only Aaron was supposed to win. I think most people were picking Daton (I could be wrong but that was the vibes I was getting since Daton is much more accomplished) and Eierman/Kemerer just beat their counterparts at Big Tens, Kemerer handily as can be. That's a reason why PSU fans were enjoying this year so much despite the fact we didn't win.

Hindsight 20-20, maybe I shouldn't be anymore, crazy after 10 years I still have doubts about PSU wrestling performing on that stage. I'm sure I'll have doubts again next year.
I think Starocci was the only real surprise. I saw everybody on this board and tons on other boards picking RBY and Lee. I picked Lee to lose to Rivera in the semis because I was dreading that rematch so much I tried to will it out of existence lol.

But yeah mostly just a friendly ribbing towards jts. I'm not going to stand by and watch anybody paint PSU as the plucky underdogs lol.

Besides you obviously, name me one person on the boards, flo, wrestlestat, fb, Twitter or anywhere else that predicted psu would have 4 champs. Oh and btw, thanks for being honest in saying you thought Lee would beat Eierman and Carter would beat Kem. You are the first Hawk fan that I know of that admits that. I appreciate that..

Besides you obviously, name me one person on the boards, flo, wrestlestat, fb, Twitter or anywhere else that predicted psu would have 4 champs. Oh and btw, thanks for being honest in saying you thought Lee would beat Eierman and Carter would beat Kem. You are the first Hawk fan that I know of that admits that. I appreciate that..
I did not think Carter would beat Kem, though I was more concerned than most hawk fans. The big tens match was closer than most thought. I also don't know if I would have picked Lee, but I was very worried about that match. I think they're so close that it can go either way.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT