ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting recruiting article (Sparty Pulled 'ship after visiting tOSU)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
As with most things, there Sparty's side, the kid's side and, probably in the middle, the truth.

This kid was offered a 'ship by Sparty and accepted it. He went to the tOSU camp, he's from Ohio, and Sparty pulled the 'ship. The kid says that he was told by the tOSU coaches that he needed to get stronger which he took as a critique. He went to the camp, wearing an MSU/green wrist band, to show tOSU what they missed out on (after working hard to get stronger). When the MSU coach found out he attended tOSU's camp, he pulled the 'ship even though both verbally agreed.

In the end, they are both making it sound like a communication problem: The kid tried to contact MSU and tell them he was going to the camp but couldn't get through, while MSU claims he never communicated to them and had to assume he was intending to flip to tOSU.

Wearing the green and white showing off what they missed out on may be an indication he was all Buckeye. So Cupp got his wish and verballed. Everyone is now happy in Ohio.

Wearing the green and white showing off what they missed out on may be an indication he was all Buckeye. So Cupp got his wish and verballed. Everyone is now happy in Ohio.

I don't follow that logic. 1) why would a guy wear a MSU wrist band if he wanted a tOSU 'ship and 2) Why would he now care if he got what he wanted?

Probably something to do with hatred between MSU and tOSU and Cupp throwing this in their face. Look, I've got an offer to a rival school and I'm here to prove I'm worthy of a scholarship. Let me show you what I'm all about. Bigger question is if Cupp would have flipped had UM offered. That we'll never know and left to speculation. Anyway, Dantonio wasn't going to find out and found a replacement.

Probably something to do with hatred between MSU and tOSU and Cupp throwing this in their face. Look, I've got an offer to a rival school and I'm here to prove I'm worthy of a scholarship. Let me show you what I'm all about. Bigger question is if Cupp would have flipped had UM offered. That we'll never know and left to speculation. Anyway, Dantonio wasn't going to find out and found a replacement.

Noted...but was Cupp throwing the MSU offer in tOSU's face or was Cupp throwing at tOSU offer into MSU's face? he claims the former. Regardless, they've come to a place where they say it was a misunderstanding and a lack of communications. interestingly, there are rules on when and how you can communicate with a potential recruit, even after they've verbally committed...so the NCAA could be part of this mess too.

Honestly, what I've heard is that the kid wanted to go to MSU and simply attended a camp with other kids in the state (his friends and rivals in high school) and MSU was overly possessive. Kind of like a Ross and Rachel thing.

I think D'Antonio and MSU are pretty hard and straightforward on if you commit to MSU, if you take visits or do anything like it, the schollie offer is pulled. They are pretty black and white on that. So give MSU credit for sticking to their policy. And the way D'Antonio has MSU playing, tough to say he is doing much wrong.

I think D'Antonio and MSU are pretty hard and straightforward on if you commit to MSU, if you take visits or do anything like it, the schollie offer is pulled. They are pretty black and white on that. So give MSU credit for sticking to their policy. And the way D'Antonio has MSU playing, tough to say he is doing much wrong.
While I admire that approach to an extent, it seems a bit hypocritical for them to continue to recruit Hill, who is committed to PSU, while telling their commits they cannot speak with other schools. Can't help but wonder what some of the more intelligent recruits think when they see these things.

Note this quote from Cupp in the article:

Maybe it was worth the risk, but Cupp swears he doesn't know what would have happened if Michigan State stood by him.

That doesn't sound like a kid who was 100% committed to me.

And have to love this gem from the author:

So instead of trying to battle the Buckeyes for Cupp, Michigan State cut bait. They took a commitment from another Ohio lineman that wasn't on Ohio State's radar the next day. That prospect isn't as good as Cupp, but Michigan State wanted to just to avoid the risk. It's the safe play, but that means Michigan State's class got a little less good.

Both players had a similar offers list, minus the OSU offer to Cupp. So I would say it remains to be seen which one got the better player.

Reactions: Obliviax

Have they ever pulled a scholarship of a high ranking recruit? Notice how most of the recruits that get their scholarships pulled are low ranking?

While I admire that approach to an extent, it seems a bit hypocritical for them to continue to recruit Hill, who is committed to PSU, while telling their commits they cannot speak with other schools. Can't help but wonder what some of the more intelligent recruits think when they see these things.
I don't understand why you think it is hypocritical to continue to recruit someone who has not signed an LOI. All are fair game. If they told the kid what they expect out of them when they commit , and he did something different, I don't blame them for pulling the offer. In this day and age, you should be able to get ahold of someone connected to MSU football, somehow, someway. the kid was playing both ends against the middle and now he gets to live with it.

I don't understand why you think it is hypocritical to continue to recruit someone who has not signed an LOI. All are fair game. If they told the kid what they expect out of them when they commit , and he did something different, I don't blame them for pulling the offer. In this day and age, you should be able to get ahold of someone connected to MSU football, somehow, someway. the kid was playing both ends against the middle and now he gets to live with it.
I am not suggesting I buy the kid's story. But is it not hypocritical to tell a kid "commit to us and once you do you may not speak with any other school or we will pull your scholarship" but at the same time they (staff) will continue to try and get kids who are committed to other schools to interact with them. Seem to be a do as I say not as I do type of thing. Is it the worst thing that goes on in college sports? No.

Reactions: Willie Lump
As with most things, there Sparty's side, the kid's side and, probably in the middle, the truth.

This kid was offered a 'ship by Sparty and accepted it. He went to the tOSU camp, he's from Ohio, and Sparty pulled the 'ship. The kid says that he was told by the tOSU coaches that he needed to get stronger which he took as a critique. He went to the camp, wearing an MSU/green wrist band, to show tOSU what they missed out on (after working hard to get stronger). When the MSU coach found out he attended tOSU's camp, he pulled the 'ship even though both verbally agreed.

In the end, they are both making it sound like a communication problem: The kid tried to contact MSU and tell them he was going to the camp but couldn't get through, while MSU claims he never communicated to them and had to assume he was intending to flip to tOSU.

I'm not so sure that pulling the offer is the right strategy, but I would let the kid know that if he is still looking, then so are the coaches. Let him know that you are still actively recruiting his position in case he flips or in case you are able to get someone who is just as good and is a more solid verbal.

There were other Sparty commits at that camp, but Cupp was the only one who never told MSU coaches of his plans.

I am not suggesting I buy the kid's story. But is it not hypocritical to tell a kid "commit to us and once you do you may not speak with any other school or we will pull your scholarship" but at the same time they (staff) will continue to try and get kids who are committed to other schools to interact with them. Seem to be a do as I say not as I do type of thing. Is it the worst thing that goes on in college sports? No.

Not so hypocritical. It is a two way street. The players can decommit so there is nothing hypocritical.

There were other Sparty commits at that camp, but Cupp was the only one who never told MSU coaches of his plans.

Who were the other players? Probably 4 stars. Notice how the low ranking recruits get their scholarships pulled? You never see players like Jabril Peppers lose a scholly even though they take visits.

Cupp didn't tell MSU he was going, and clearly was looking for an OSU offer, so MSU went ahead and cut bait. Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. MSU has pulled offers previously a couple times when guys did similar things. If MSU was out constantly looking for a better recruit than Cupp before he was able to sign I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with him either.

Also to the previous post wondering if MSU would do the same to a top-100 recruit, maybe they would get special treatment hypothetically, but why is that such a big deal? The better you are in life the more leeway you will get.

Noted...but was Cupp throwing the MSU offer in tOSU's face or was Cupp throwing at tOSU offer into MSU's face? he claims the former. Regardless, they've come to a place where they say it was a misunderstanding and a lack of communications. interestingly, there are rules on when and how you can communicate with a potential recruit, even after they've verbally committed...so the NCAA could be part of this mess too.

Honestly, what I've heard is that the kid wanted to go to MSU and simply attended a camp with other kids in the state (his friends and rivals in high school) and MSU was overly possessive. Kind of like a Ross and Rachel thing.

They were on a break!

Reactions: pierremc
Good on Sparty. It's a bit of a harsh reaction, but sends a message. I would be okay with a committed prospect visiting a camp (assuming it's a real camp), but not okay with him taking official visits after committing.

I remember when D'Antonio got the job at Cincy before MSU. He told all the recruits and their families that he was not obligated to honor the scholarship offers the previous staff had issued. I always thought that was a cheesy move.

Good on Sparty. It's a bit of a harsh reaction, but sends a message. I would be okay with a committed prospect visiting a camp (assuming it's a real camp), but not okay with him taking official visits after committing.

REally? Some of PSU's highest ranked commits are taking visits. What message do you want to send them?

REally? Some of PSU's highest ranked commits are taking visits. What message do you want to send them?

I'd send the same one D'Antonio sent. Then again, I'm not the HC. If you're taking visits, you're not serious about being committed. Spin it however you want. I'd tell these guys not to commit unless and until they're fully committed. Any visit to a school after that puts your scholarship in jeopardy.

I'd send the same one D'Antonio sent. Then again, I'm not the HC. If you're taking visits, you're not serious about being committed. Spin it however you want. I'd tell these guys not to commit unless and until they're fully committed. Any visit to a school after that puts your scholarship in jeopardy.
I'd agree with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT