ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting, Lehman's power 5 in the East of B10

If you were going to pick a team not named OSU, he did a decent job. If he really wanted to go out on a limb, put Indiana at #1. Wait for that reaction.

Maryland has recruited well and their QBs are back. They're a better choice for #5 than Indiana.

I have no issue with any ranking of the East top 4 teams. MSU does have a returning QB and lots of other starters, not outrageous to say any of the top 4 could win it.
This is exactly right. It would not be illogical to pick any of the 4.

He put a disclaimer on the 4 because it could go either way but he felt that for now this is what will happen as the season starts. I posted a similar thing over a month ago and everyone freaked out. I am very worried about Michigan though and the fact they picked up a stud qb and will start right away.

Msu will come back to earth.Michigan sooner or later will live up to the hype.Osu is Osu and Psu is right there.winner of the east will have at least one loss.

Reactions: psu2016
Rutgers may be the fifth place team.Maryland may be missing its Coach who knows.

19 of 22 is a big deal if those returning starters are better than the guys the tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State have coming is as new talent.

Msu will come back to earth.Michigan sooner or later will live up to the hype.Osu is Osu and Psu is right there.winner of the east will have at least one loss.
Come back to earth? They have been one of the B1G's most consistent winners over the past 10 years. They have a very favorable schedule (toughest game @ PSU) as well on top of a very good QB returning along with 19 of 22 starters. Very fair prediction IMO.

Maryland has recruited well and their QBs are back. They're a better choice for #5 than Indiana.

Maryland may not have a program in place by the end of this week. It depends on what their administration decides to do. If there was a "culture" of Neanderthal coaching attitudes I don't see how anyone on their staff can be allowed to stay. As details percolate out of the press and players Maryland may have to make the decision to let everyone go.

What a sad situation.

19 of 22 is a big deal if those returning starters are better than the guys the tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State have coming is as new talent.

Their quarterback may be the second best in the Big. That is a huge plus for them.

Remember that they beat us last year and only have to replace three kids from that team, while our program has to replace quite a few people who were major contributors. Given that it would seem to me it is more on us to show we are going to be better.

Reactions: Minerva1903
5. Indiana
4. Michigan
3 Ohio State
2. Penn State
1. Michigan State

Based his pick on MSU returning 19 of 22 starters, and Luwerke.

Have at it...weird to me.

This seems like a good ranking. Of course there is a huge dropoff after #4. I could make good arguments for any of the top 4 to be the favorite to represent the East in the Big championship game.

Their quarterback may be the second best in the Big. That is a huge plus for them.

Remember that they beat us last year and only have to replace three kids from that team, while our program has to replace quite a few people who were major contributors. Given that it would seem to me it is more on us to show we are going to be better.
They beat us last year, at their place, under some very strange and difficult conditions for a road team to adjust to, and still needed a dumb penalty to set up a last second FG to win. Under normal conditions, if PSU had to play MSU, even on their field, 10 times last season, I'm convinced PSU would win 8 of them. They deserved the win, but the 2 in 10 possibility is what happened.

Maryland may not have a program in place by the end of this week. It depends on what their administration decides to do. If there was a "culture" of Neanderthal coaching attitudes I don't see how anyone on their staff can be allowed to stay. As details percolate out of the press and players Maryland may have to make the decision to let everyone go.

What a sad situation.

I think Durkin and 3 or 4 others will go. Canada just got there and will be HC for the year and have a skeleton staff

What a sad situation.
my guess is that they will scapegoat the S&C coach. They are buying time to get the media to calm down, following the tOSU playbook on their ample scandals. They'll slap Durkin on the wrist for not paying close enough attention and he'll miss a game or two. They'll then deal with it in the off season between 18 and 19, if they feel the need.

They beat us last year, at their place, under some very strange and difficult conditions for a road team to adjust to, and still needed a dumb penalty to set up a last second FG to win. Under normal conditions, if PSU had to play MSU, even on their field, 10 times last season, I'm convinced PSU would win 8 of them. They deserved the win, but the 2 in 10 possibility is what happened.

Yes, and if my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle.

Come back to earth? They have been one of the B1G's most consistent winners over the past 10 years. They have a very favorable schedule (toughest game @ PSU) as well on top of a very good QB returning along with 19 of 22 starters. Very fair prediction IMO.

Agree, should be a good homecoming game.

Reactions: ELDADDY
Yes, and if my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle.

Agree....and putting aside my feelings about the B1G officiating, when good teams play, the game result often comes down to a break and/or luck. I watched the Iowa and tOSU games from last season. We beat Iowa by mere inches. We lost to tOSU by an ill-time injury and inches. I haven't watched MSU, but would probably say the same. Sometimes it isn't the players or coaches, but a flip of the coin.

Last night was watching the Tribe versus the White Sox. The Sox scored four runs in the ninth inning without hitting a ball hard. Three broken bats, one landing on a chalk stripe, and several other weird happenings that are just pure luck.

Sometimes, luck is part of it.

my guess is that they will scapegoat the S&C coach. They are buying time to get the media to calm down, following the tOSU playbook on their ample scandals. They'll slap Durkin on the wrist for not paying close enough attention and he'll miss a game or two. They'll then deal with it in the off season between 18 and 19, if they feel the need.

Boy, just don't see it obli. I think it's all or nothing for Durkin. A kid died! Either they put it all on the S&C guys and say they went rogue and completely exonerate Durkin or he has to go. A couple game suspension would suggest Durkin was at least a little responsible. If he was even a little responsible he should be gone.

Boy, just don't see it obli. I think it's all or nothing for Durkin. A kid died! Either they put it all on the S&C guys and say they went rogue and completely exonerate Durkin or he has to go. A couple game suspension would suggest Durkin was at least a little responsible. If he was even a little responsible he should be gone.
that's what they are going to do...it is the S&C coach's job.

Major difference though. OSU is buying time to keep Urban Meyer, one of the top 2 coaches of his generation. Maryland has probably already been planning a way to get rid of Durkin, who seems to be way in over his head. Reverse the coaches/programs and OSU would have had Durkin out two weeks ago. He doesn’t win enough.

What did I miss? I thought it was the current and former players who were railing at durkin (and others). Did I screw that one up entirely (which happens in my world lol)?

Most of them have been Twittering in support. Very few have called for his ouster.

Most of them have been Twittering in support. Very few have called for his ouster.
Perhaps a rock and a hard place? Smart thing is to do nothing at all but if you're going to say anything about the guy who might be returning as your HC, it sure as hell better be positive.

But your point is interesting... the impression being given in last week's article was of a program besieged by a negative chorus of complaints from current and former players. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Thank you for replying LR88

Perhaps a rock and a hard place? Smart thing is to do nothing at all but if you're going to say anything about the guy who might be returning as your HC, it sure as hell better be positive.

But your point is interesting... the impression being given in last week's article was of a program besieged by a negative chorus of complaints from current and former players. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Thank you for replying LR88

The ESPN article did make it seem like the entire program hated Durkin and the staff when, in reality, it was probably a handful of people that had an issue with Durkin and took this opportunity to attack. Remember that some of O'Brien's guys hated Franklin. Could be the same here. That's why it tough to put too much stock into articles like these. You don't ever know the person's agenda.

Reactions: psu2016 and N&B4PSU

MSU beat us, but certainly didn't outplay us. A program like MSU is kinda like Wisconsin and Iowa, they don't rely as much on high end talent, but guys that fit their program. They typically don't risk as big of a fall off from one year to another and also aren't as likely to have a playoff worth team. So, MSU will be good, but not great next year, depending on which of the 3 star guys were underrated and what percentage of the guys are rowing in the same direction.

Reactions: brupsu
The ESPN article did make it seem like the entire program hated Durkin and the staff when, in reality, it was probably a handful of people that had an issue with Durkin and took this opportunity to attack. Remember that some of O'Brien's guys hated Franklin. Could be the same here. That's why it tough to put too much stock into articles like these. You don't ever know the person's agenda.
I swear it was just 2 years ago all the media extolled the virtues of durkin and the excitement he was bringing to a once moribund program. How's that song go.. kick when they're down....

Reactions: Westcoast24
Exactamundo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT