ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments by Herbie during Bama game

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
I still think Herbie while a tOSU guy is reasonably objective. during the Bama game he made a couple interesting comments re the portal and the impact of six year players.

he questioned whether the portal (and most importantly combined with instant eligibility) was going to be good for the game as a whole. he thought the rich may get richer. one of the points he made is the diamond in the rough kid who goes to the lower tier school and becomes a FR AA - that kid will then move UP to one of the elites. He sort of implied also he thought that the instant eligibility rule will be endless (i.e. not a one time benefit).

he also talked about how do you keep the elite kids happy in a competitive situation. if they do not see the field enough early, they want to move. most do not want to go DOWN to lower tier. I think he was talking Bama here. the easy transfer is making roster management a bigger deal now. sort of makes red shirt meaningless, baring injury.

The other interesting thing as he spoke about the RB room at BAMA being loaded, was the impact of NCAA granting the free year. What do you do with the kid who has been a starter maybe even for multiple years, but is getting passed by others coming in. If they are not good enough for the NFL, at BAMA they will be replaced even if they were a starter (i.e. QBs Tua replaces Jalen). with the free year, you now have players who could hang for 6 years. what do you do with a player who is not good enough for NFL but has been a starter and wants to stay? BAMA made the move, and Jalen moved to OU. Herbie pointed out that the players (meaning elite players) want an outcome and there is no loyalty to program. A 5* will come in and sit for a year behind a player who is going to the NFL next year as an early draftee, but will not sit behind a journeyman type player who is not going to NFL.

I still think Herbie while a tOSU guy is reasonably objective. during the Bama game he made a couple interesting comments re the portal and the impact of six year players.

he questioned whether the portal (and most importantly combined with instant eligibility) was going to be good for the game as a whole. he thought the rich may get richer. one of the points he made is the diamond in the rough kid who goes to the lower tier school and becomes a FR AA - that kid will then move UP to one of the elites. He sort of implied also he thought that the instant eligibility rule will be endless (i.e. not a one time benefit).

he also talked about how do you keep the elite kids happy in a competitive situation. if they do not see the field enough early, they want to move. most do not want to go DOWN to lower tier. I think he was talking Bama here. the easy transfer is making roster management a bigger deal now. sort of makes red shirt meaningless, baring injury.

The other interesting thing as he spoke about the RB room at BAMA being loaded, was the impact of NCAA granting the free year. What do you do with the kid who has been a starter maybe even for multiple years, but is getting passed by others coming in. If they are not good enough for the NFL, at BAMA they will be replaced even if they were a starter (i.e. QBs Tua replaces Jalen). with the free year, you now have players who could hang for 6 years. what do you do with a player who is not good enough for NFL but has been a starter and wants to stay? BAMA made the move, and Jalen moved to OU. Herbie pointed out that the players (meaning elite players) want an outcome and there is no loyalty to program. A 5* will come in and sit for a year behind a player who is going to the NFL next year as an early draftee, but will not sit behind a journeyman type player who is not going to NFL.
Herbie ( or anyone) could have offered this analysis before the Portal was even implemented...... the math was obvious. This is a “vested self interest” model ( for everyone). Loyalty with this in place is largely an illusion, and the college education itself, becomes a secondary/portable benefit . The previous model probably needed some “ fixing”, but now the fix needs fixed. College/athletics ain’t what it used to be..... and the bad is outweighing the good, right now. JMO

Herbie ( or anyone) could have offered this analysis before the Portal was even implemented...... the math was obvious. This is a “vested self interest” model ( for everyone). Loyalty with this in place is largely an illusion, and the college education itself, becomes a secondary/portable benefit . The previous model probably needed some “ fixing”, but now the fix needs fixed. College/athletics ain’t what it used to be..... and the bad is outweighing the good, right now. JMO
You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. Whatever problems the new rules bring, we’re stuck with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube.
We will see how it all turns out but if viewership, attendance and merchandising start declining because of all these changes the money that everyone was scrambling for is going to be greatly reduced. Maybe I am getting old (early 50’s) but college football which was my favorite sport and one of my favorite pastimes for several decades is becoming very difficult for me to follow anymore.

We will see how it all turns out but if viewership, attendance and merchandising start declining because of all these changes the money that everyone was scrambling for is going to be greatly reduced. Maybe I am getting old (early 50’s) but college football which was my favorite sport and one of my favorite pastimes for several decades is becoming very difficult for me to follow anymore.
I understand where you’re coming from.

Too much money, too many fans with no real connection to the schools- it's NFL lite now.
It will never be like the NFL because people cheer for the school, not the players. If I turned on a sport I don’t follow (like soccer) between two pro teams, I really wouldn’t give even a slight sh!t who won....if I turned on a college soccer game and PSU was playing, I would cheer for PSU even though I don’t give a rat’s ass about soccer....same if it was hockey, LAX, volleyball, or any other sport I don’t care about. I graduated from PSU so I want all their teams to win....that’s not the same for pro sports. The fans with no real connection would drop off, but the majority of people tied to the school won’t.

Me, I'm quite old (ask @LionJim) ... college football has always been my favorite, and in my youth I've enjoyed other sports too (both college and professional). But now days, I rarely watch pro sports, except maybe the Super Bowl and the major golf tournaments, and only follow ND sports (I used to watch whatever was on). Sports still seems to attract fans, but I wonder for how long it will.

It's definitely not an "endless" rule. It's just in concert with most other sports that allow a one-time transfer exception.

Transfer a second time, you have to sit out

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Biggest issue in my opinion is that the players don’t necessarily have a home as soon as they go into the portal. I hope the players realize that maybe 50% (I have no idea but it will be large) will have no new home. So “poof”, schollie gone... football career over.

Some can look around and come back and be “welcomed” (although most will be viewed w skepticism). Many will be told ... “cya”

Biggest issue in my opinion is that the players don’t necessarily have a home as soon as they go into the portal. I hope the players realize that maybe 50% (I have no idea but it will be large) will have no new home. So “poof”, schollie gone... football career over.

Some can look around and come back and be “welcomed” (although most will be viewed w skepticism). Many will be told ... “cya”
A lot of people will probably be tempted to look because they're upset and then calm down and decide to stay put. Lamont Wade was one who went to the portal and ended up doing pretty well afterward.

Was noted during the USC spring game that because of the extra year they have over 100 players on their roster. Gonna really benefit some teams this year for sure.

A lot of people will probably be tempted to look because they're upset and then calm down and decide to stay put. Lamont Wade was one who went to the portal and ended up doing pretty well afterward.
This might be true but there is no guarantee that staying put is still an option. A player loses their rights to the schollie when they put their name in the portal. Many might have an open invite to come back w no harm done but maybe not.... there is no guarantee.

Outside of golf, which is not a team sport, I lost interest in all other professional sports when "my team" became nothing but a group rotating through to wear the uniform.

The same is now happening in collegiate sports. It will generate the same result.
Definitely understand this sentiment. I hope for college sports and PSU in particular it “finds its level” quickly, with a handful at most moves in and out and primarily depth guys. I don’t want to cheer for a gun for hire team. I want to cheer for the guys who chose PSU and put in the work for PSU from scout team to second team to starter. Not guys who chose some other school and then jumped the line at PSU. Maybe in “emergency” situations due to injury or other unforeseen thing bringing in an upperclassman is understandable, but the (for example) Michigan QB transfer-in process would turn me off.

Definitely understand this sentiment. I hope for college sports and PSU in particular it “finds its level” quickly, with a handful at most moves in and out and primarily depth guys. I don’t want to cheer for a gun for hire team. I want to cheer for the guys who chose PSU and put in the work for PSU from scout team to second team to starter. Not guys who chose some other school and then jumped the line at PSU. Maybe in “emergency” situations due to injury or other unforeseen thing bringing in an upperclassman is understandable, but the (for example) Michigan QB transfer-in process would turn me off.
Since I know many duhO$U fans, the vast majority have the opposite view that you do. For them, winning is the only thing, and they don’t care how the school goes about it. They are perfectly fine with an entire “gun for hire“ team (although the players at the school appear to have been that way for years) as long as they get into the so-called playoffs every year.

This might be true but there is no guarantee that staying put is still an option. A player loses their rights to the schollie when they put their name in the portal. Many might have an open invite to come back w no harm done but maybe not.... there is no guarantee.
True. It will also probably work both ways as the coaches will be free to look for someone else in the portal.

You can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. Whatever problems the new rules bring, we’re stuck with them.
Sure it can be fixed, come on. The NCAA is so badly neutered they won't though.

True. It will also probably work both ways as the coaches will be free to look for someone else in the portal.
Or save the scholarship for next year. Most in the portal are not starters, some not even 2nd string. How many coaches will use their jump into the portal to just move on? It is a new form of “processing”.

So they are risking their scholarship in hopes that some other team, maybe a coach that recruited them out of high school, still has interest. And many of these guys have no new film since high school for a coach to look at. Which is their reason for transfer in the first place (no PT).

I imagine some players did some back door research, maybe having their former high school coach make some calls, but many many student athletes will end up with no scholarship as a result of portal mania.

And it’s only going to get worse. The percentage of transfers that don’t receive other scholarships is staggering. That has to coincide with a lower graduation rate. Trust me, some politicians are going to jump all over this for publicly. The NCAA will stupidity panic and change the rules to allow open recruiting while a player is still at his original school under the guise of enhanced graduation rates. Then watch the fun begin.

Or save the scholarship for next year. Most in the portal are not starters, some not even 2nd string. How many coaches will use their jump into the portal to just move on? It is a new form of “processing”.

So they are risking their scholarship in hopes that some other team, maybe a coach that recruited them out of high school, still has interest. And many of these guys have no new film since high school for a coach to look at. Which is their reason for transfer in the first place (no PT).

I imagine some players did some back door research, maybe having their former high school coach make some calls, but many many student athletes will end up with no scholarship as a result of portal mania.
You're making it sound like the portal is going to be the dregs of the football world. I would think a lot of the players wanting to transfer are those who were highly recruited and it hasn't worked out for whatever reason or they don't want to wait. A lot of transfers in the past have been really good players. If you were lucky to get a scholarship in the first place you'd have to be pretty deluded to try to transfer if lack of playing time is the issue. On the other hand, a guy who sees the field early at a lesser school may raise his profile and want to transfer up. I guess we'll see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT