ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article on future of CFP, B1G, and Notre Dame

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
This SportsIllustrated article was shared on the Pitt board, but I thought you all would find it interesting. Link

It primarily talks about Notre Dame’s looming conference decision, but about halfway through an “industry source” makes an interesting claim that the College Football Playoff might not be extended past the 2025 season. Instead, the Big Ten and SEC would agree to have its champions play for the national championship. This way, they would force Notre Dame’s hand into joining the Big Ten by the 2026 season.

From a Penn State perspective, I feel like this would be beneficial. It discusses the conferences each having their own semifinal to crown a representative. The Nittany Lions could lose a game or two and still have a path to the national championship if it wins its division and makes the B1G semifinal. Just some food for thought.

This SportsIllustrated article was shared on the Pitt board, but I thought you all would find it interesting. Link

It primarily talks about Notre Dame’s looming conference decision, but about halfway through an “industry source” makes an interesting claim that the College Football Playoff might not be extended past the 2025 season. Instead, the Big Ten and SEC would agree to have its champions play for the national championship. This way, they would force Notre Dame’s hand into joining the Big Ten by the 2026 season.

From a Penn State perspective, I feel like this would be beneficial. It discusses the conferences each having their own semifinal to crown a representative. The Nittany Lions could lose a game or two and still have a path to the national championship if it wins its division and makes the B1G semifinal. Just some food for thought.
Realignment apparently would impact bowl affiliations etc. Perhaps those games would now be integrated as playoffs.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Realignment apparently would impact bowl affiliations etc. Perhaps those games would now be integrated as playoffs.
Perhaps the bowl games become part of the conference’s semifinal playoff? For example, the Rose Bowl takes the place of the Big Ten championship game and then the winner proceeds to face the Sugar Bowl champion, aka the SEC representative, for the national championship. I can’t see the new “big two” just throwing away the major bowl games like that.

Reactions: marshall23

Sounds like a stupid and arrogant plan. There will be undefeated teams outside those conferences that people will believe have a legitimate claim to any natty. Locking them out would be vary controversial, especially after having playoffs for over a decade.

Sounds like a stupid and arrogant plan. There will be undefeated teams outside those conferences that people will believe have a legitimate claim to any natty. Locking them out would be vary controversial, especially after having playoffs for over a decade.
IMHO, a not-so-veiled attempt to kill the NCAA and have the power teams take over football. While there will be undefeated teams, like a Cincy, looking in from the outside, it is up for them to consistently win and become a Power conference school. It is not a lot different than the NCAA divisions for football. Lots of teams have gone through the MAC/BigScky/Missouri Valley/Pioneer/SWAC/northeast/ohiovalley schedule undefeated and not get a ticket to a major bowl or championship series.

it is just a different league or subdivision. I would also figure that these teams, though undefeated, wouldn't have close to the schedule as they'll they'll be locked out. I can see a PSU playing a complete schedule of Pac12 and B1G teams save for a traditional MAC game or two as warmups.

We haven't had a championship free of controversy in more than 30 years.

IMHO, a not-so-veiled attempt to kill the NCAA and have the power teams take over football. While there will be undefeated teams, like a Cincy, looking in from the outside, it is up for them to consistently win and become a Power conference school. It is not a lot different than the NCAA divisions for football. Lots of teams have gone through the MAC/BigScky/Missouri Valley/Pioneer/SWAC/northeast/ohiovalley schedule undefeated and not get a ticket to a major bowl or championship series.

it is just a different league or subdivision. I would also figure that these teams, though undefeated, wouldn't have close to the schedule as they'll they'll be locked out. I can see a PSU playing a complete schedule of Pac12 and B1G teams save for a traditional MAC game or two as warmups.
There will some good schools not on the super two. Say Oregon isn’t in yet goes undefeated. Will the country recognize a team with a loss over an undefeated? Or if Clemson if they don’t leave the ACC? FSU? Notre Dame? Just back where we were before. Unless they take 48 teams into two leagues they can’t claim any natty.

And playing such a difficult schedule undefeated teams will be rare. Too many injuries, hard to stay up for every game, weather extremes.

I get why it’s being done. Just don’t see them having any right to declare their winner the champ.

There will some good schools not on the super two. Say Oregon isn’t in yet goes undefeated. Will the country recognize a team with a loss over an undefeated? Or if Clemson if they don’t leave the ACC? FSU? Notre Dame? Just back where we were before. Unless they take 48 teams into two leagues they can’t claim any natty.

And playing such a difficult schedule undefeated teams will be rare. Too many injuries, hard to stay up for every game, weather extremes.

I get why it’s being done. Just don’t see them having any right to declare their winner the champ.
I don't disagree. But you are in the league or you are not. And I am talking ten years down the road, not 2024.

When the power teams pull away from the NCAA, it will be up to the schools to get into the new league. it is no different than the PGA and LIV. There will be some called traitors and traditionalists. But in the end, money talks and the others walk. As a university, you are going to spend the money and step up or you are out. Relegation in the soccer leagues comes to mind as well.

I don't disagree. But you are in the league or you are not. And I am talking ten years down the road, not 2024.

When the power teams pull away from the NCAA, it will be up to the schools to get into the new league. it is no different than the PGA and LIV. There will be some called traitors and traditionalists. But in the end, money talks and the others walk. As a university, you are going to spend the money and step up or you are out. Relegation in the soccer leagues comes to mind as well.
So. If half stay with the NCAA, their winner will claim the natty. Soon it will look like boxing or studio wrestling with multiple organizations claiming titles. Money screams and no one will hear anything over the din.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
So. If half stay with the NCAA, their winner will claim the natty. Soon it will look like boxing of studio wrestling with multiple organizations claiming titles. Money screams and no one will hear anything over the din.
yep...I recall when Indy Cars broke from Formula 5000. Neither group has recovered from that escapade. I recall the Indy500 was must watch, glued to the TV, weekend. This year, I forgot it was even happening until I read who won. The PGA and LIV are going on right now. The NBA/ABA, NFL/USFL too.

From my standpoint, I don't think the NCAA could have handled things worse if they tried to. And the big teams/conferences, have had it with them. Now that tradition and the pageantry of college football is kaput, money will rule.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

As long as Emmert dies w

As long as emmert dies with the ncaa I will put it in the category of good things that have happened. However, I do not think I will enjoy college football going forward as much as I have since the 1960’s.

Reactions: Obliviax
I think the most likely thing is for the SEC and Big Ten to remain in the NCAA (or some replacement organization) for basketball and all other sports but break away with football only to a "higher" level just like how 1-A and 1-AA split once upon a time. But having another level they could have significant autonomy and control. No reason why couldn't also play some non-conference games against whatever schools remain in the (current) 1-A.

I don't see the Big Ten or SEC just leaving the NCAA entirely, not unless there is a replacement that a lot of other schools are a part of.

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't see the Big Ten or SEC just leaving the NCAA entirely, not unless there is a replacement that a lot of other schools are a part of.
This is why we don't agree. Why wouldn't the Big Ten or SEC leave? They'll continue to expand and we'll have the top 48 or so schools as the only relevant programs. There's so much more money to be had by doing this. What do any of them gain by staying in the NCAA and allowing the NCAA to be relevant?

Reactions: 84Lion
If they form their own league no one else matters. It's like saying a MAC school or FCS school is better than Georgia or Bama. Say it but no one believes it.

They just kill the bowls. Bowl games are antiquated. SEC-Big Ten merger results in a 8, 12 or 16 team playoff with the SEC winner vs. the Big Ten winner determining the national champ. They money off that playoff would be insane.

This is why we don't agree. Why wouldn't the Big Ten or SEC leave? They'll continue to expand and we'll have the top 48 or so schools as the only relevant programs. There's so much more money to be had by doing this. What do any of them gain by staying in the NCAA and allowing the NCAA to be relevant?
Because they are universities first and foremost and the University Presidents that make these decisions aren't looking to make some elite sports league. Sure, they love what sports do for fundraising and publicity but they aren't exactly looking to piss off other academic types (not to mention the next job for a particular president might be at a school that gets left behind).

Furthermore there are more sports than just football and I'm sure the schools would prefer having them be able to continue to thrive with intercollegiate play. It won't go over well in Minnesota and Michigan for example if the Big Ten left the NCAA and ice hockey was gutted. Not when you can get supremacy and money in football without so drastically affecting all the other sports and connections to other universities.

The money is an ends to a means, not some ultimate goal in and of itself.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Because they are universities first and foremost and the University Presidents that make these decisions aren't looking to make some elite sports league. Sure, they love what sports do for fundraising and publicity but they aren't exactly looking to piss off other academic types (not to mention the next job for a particular president might be at a school that gets left behind).

Furthermore there are more sports than just football and I'm sure the schools would prefer having them be able to continue to thrive with intercollegiate play. It won't go over well in Minnesota and Michigan for example if the Big Ten left the NCAA and ice hockey was gutted. Not when you can get supremacy and money in football without so drastically affecting all the other sports and connections to other universities.

The money is an ends to a means, not some ultimate goal in and of itself.
This isn't about education. They absolutely are trying to make "some elite sports league". Hockey isn't gutted by this. It has zero impact on hockey or most other sports.

I don't understand what's going on here. It's like some people don't want to accept things are changing. People seemingly want to cling to "success with honor" but that's not what this is. College football, even today and for the past 20+ years, has been nothing more than a money driven sports league.

Last edited:
hello Clemson, FSU, Miami, ND etc.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT