ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting (and enjoyable) interview with Quentin Wright

It's on a very recent Bader Show on Flo (which probably requires a subscription).

Wright shares some interesting personal and PSU stories about his early wrestling days, his father, the team, Cael, and other people around the Penn State:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6755279-bader-show-quentin-wright-zane-richards
Dmm53, thanks for bringing this up. I did watch the interview earlier. Unfortunately, it does require a subscription to view. I figured I would take the time to give some highlights. Quentin is such a likeable and self-effacing guy with a slightly goofy bent to him. I also love how blunt he is without being mean-spirited. Some highlights:
-- They brought on Zane Richards toward the end of Quentin's interview and Bader introduced Quentin to Zane. First, Quentin asked if Zane wrestled at Rutgers (Zane wrestled at Illinois) and also said, "I don't remember much about you right now but I'll have to look you up."

-- Quentin asked Zane the difference between wrestling Conaway and Gulibon and as a follow-up Quentin made the comment that "Gulibon was a lot more of a head case."

-- After the hosts talked about Penn State's two runs of four titles in a row Quention replied, "We're getting ready for a third run."

-- When talking about how Penn State seems to over perform at the National tournament compared to other teams, Quentin said that Penn State does perform well, but also that the other schools under perform. He related it to the training philosophy of Cael and said regarding wrestlers from other schools, "You want it so bad that you kill yourself to do it and then you have nothing left."

-- When Penn State brought Cael to the campus for a visit before he got the job they brought him in on a private plane at night. He toured the campus and facilities and was gone before morning before people (including assistant Coach Mark Perry) knew he had even been on campus.

-- After the first year Cael was there the team had gone from 40 to 17 wrestlers (not including incoming freshmen). Quentin described the practices as "miserable" and "hard." "He [Cael] made it so hard that if you weren't absolutely committed, you quit." I think many underestimate how hard Cael works the wrestlers. All they focus on is the "fun" factor and don't realize that practices can be fun and at the same time very hard. Finding that balance is one of the many things Cael and the coaches are great at.

-- The first summer Cael was there Quentin wrestled him every day in practice. For the first few weeks Cael never shot on Quentin. Because Quentin wasn't moving his feet enough Cael would just step on his toes, push him over and laugh. After taking Quentin down, Cael would ride Quentin mercilessly but without hurting him. When Quentin would work his way up toward trying to get out Cael would jokingly say, "Stay, stay stay, settle down."

-- Quentin's take on winning the National tournament as a sophomore with a bad shoulder, " . . . win the national title with one arm only to be outdone by the guy with no leg." :D

-- Quentin talks about psychologist Bonnie Epstein, "The little grandma lady that sits on Cael's bench," and how in 2011 she really helped him overcome some issues he had with his father and his father's views on success and perfection and how it was affecting his wrestling. He kind of stopped himself and said he was talking about Penn State's secrets and how she was one of them. He mentioned that she also was speaking with Andrew and Dylan Alton, but "I don't think it worked as well." [Roar, If you are willing, I would love to hear your insights on Bonnie and what she means to the program.]

-- Quentin regarding Bubba Jenkins, "He was doing his own thing because he knew how to do his own thing."

Lots of great nuggets in there. Quentin is definitely one-of-a-kind. Great guy.

Dmm53, thanks for bringing this up. I did watch the interview earlier. Unfortunately, it does require a subscription to view. I figured I would take the time to give some highlights. Quentin is such a likeable and self-effacing guy with a slightly goofy bent to him. I also love how blunt he is without being mean-spirited. Some highlights:
-- They brought on Zane Richards toward the end of Quentin's interview and Bader introduced Quentin to Zane. First, Quentin asked if Zane wrestled at Rutgers (Zane wrestled at Illinois) and also said, "I don't remember much about you right now but I'll have to look you up."

-- Quentin asked Zane the difference between wrestling Conaway and Gulibon and as a follow-up Quentin made the comment that "Gulibon was a lot more of a head case."

-- After the hosts talked about Penn State's two runs of four titles in a row Quention replied, "We're getting ready for a third run."

-- When talking about how Penn State seems to over perform at the National tournament compared to other teams, Quentin said that Penn State does perform well, but also that the other schools under perform. He related it to the training philosophy of Cael and said regarding wrestlers from other schools, "You want it so bad that you kill yourself to do it and then you have nothing left."

-- When Penn State brought Cael to the campus for a visit before he got the job they brought him in on a private plane at night. He toured the campus and facilities and was gone before morning before people (including assistant Coach Mark Perry) knew he had even been on campus.

-- After the first year Cael was there the team had gone from 40 to 17 wrestlers (not including incoming freshmen). Quentin described the practices as "miserable" and "hard." "He [Cael] made it so hard that if you weren't absolutely committed, you quit." I think many underestimate how hard Cael works the wrestlers. All they focus on is the "fun" factor and don't realize that practices can be fun and at the same time very hard. Finding that balance is one of the many things Cael and the coaches are great at.

-- The first summer Cael was there Quentin wrestled him every day in practice. For the first few weeks Cael never shot on Quentin. Because Quentin wasn't moving his feet enough Cael would just step on his toes, push him over and laugh. After taking Quentin down, Cael would ride Quentin mercilessly but without hurting him. When Quentin would work his way up toward trying to get out Cael would jokingly say, "Stay, stay stay, settle down."

-- Quentin's take on winning the National tournament as a sophomore with a bad shoulder, " . . . win the national title with one arm only to be outdone by the guy with no leg." :D

-- Quentin talks about psychologist Bonnie Epstein, "The little grandma lady that sits on Cael's bench," and how in 2011 she really helped him overcome some issues he had with his father and his father's views on success and perfection and how it was affecting his wrestling. He kind of stopped himself and said he was talking about Penn State's secrets and how she was one of them. He mentioned that she also was speaking with Andrew and Dylan Alton, but "I don't think it worked as well." [Roar, If you are willing, I would love to hear your insights on Bonnie and what she means to the program.]

-- Quentin regarding Bubba Jenkins, "He was doing his own thing because he knew how to do his own thing."

Lots of great nuggets in there. Quentin is definitely one-of-a-kind. Great guy.

Thanks for the great summary, Psalm 1 guy. Quentin does have this interesting combination of innocence and frankness that is disarming and also charming. He seems to have a good memory for stories and very specific dates and times, too. Some of his tales about his Dad, the farm he grew up on, recruiting, and wrestling as a kid were pretty funny and entertaining—running up Mount Nittany, wrestling camps, the remarks of Churella and others, etc.

Rarely mentioned but he has a really good central pa accent to go with his stories. Very glad to have watched his college career.

My favorite thing is he says Cael isn't sarcastic to the media to be an a-hole, that's literally just how he is more or less.

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT