ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Instant Reaction to Smolik earning offer, plus camp highlights

Obviously, an act of desperation.

You have to take somebody in this class if you can. He made the Elite 11 and outperformed our previously committed QB while there. So while the timing is late, I don't see it as any more desperate than taking Stokes would have been.

Does anywhere have an official ht wt on this kid though? I'm seeing 5'11 to 6'1 and 175, 185, and 205 as weights.

Perhaps next off season, we look to the portal for a QB as well.

If you go to YouTube, you can watch, among other things, his 9th and 7th grade highlight videos.

No offers from IA or IA State is my concern. No video highlights of meaningful game action from his junior year make it tough to conclude anything other than in the coaching staff I trust.

Reactions: lazydave841
No offers from IA or IA State is my concern

That's a flag for sure. Similar to Stokes, who didn't have in state offers previous to UF offering.

My question is: how does a relatively unknown get to the Elite 11? Iowa and ISU aren't exactly hotbed for QBs, but how does the Hawkeyes miss this kid, if he's legit?

Cyclones have another E11 QB in the fold (Kohl, who I would have thought the staff would have pursued again after Stokes said "goodbye"), so maybe they didn't feel the need to?

Sounds like this kid is the best of the QB's they could bring in and work out, and that the staff could not get any of their previously offered QB's that are committed elsewhere to show up at the LB. But I'm hoping the staff can identify a decent PA walk on QB for their 2023 QB and then go for 2 from their 2024 top targets.

But if the coaches love him maybe the fans will end up loving him..........

Last edited:
#1 I trust Franklin's eye for talent. Although many here will claim to know better.....even though they've never seen this kid.
#2 I can't imagine an orderly QB room as long as the portal is in vogue.
For instance.....let's just assume for the sake of argument that Allar is the clear starter choice by the end of the year.
Do you really think CV and BP are staying? Perhaps one of them. QB position will be musical chairs once you name a starter.

Reactions: royboy
#1 I trust Franklin's eye for talent. Although many here will claim to know better.....even though they've never seen this kid.
#2 I can't imagine an orderly QB room as long as the portal is in vogue.
For instance.....let's just assume for the sake of argument that Allar is the clear starter choice by the end of the year.
Do you really think CV and BP are staying? Perhaps one of them. QB position will be musical chairs once you name a starter.

The very reason Texas hasn't named a starter nor LSU. Sure, fall camp could change things, but I'm willing to bet the "it's still close, we'll see how fall camp goes" coaches are just keeping egos in check until they have to.

ADVERTISEMENT