ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Jokes...explained!

jefe...at the board christmas party are we allowed to have hula hoop girl(s) as entertainment or is that against policy?
I see no harm, if nothing else some non-Spyker entertainment.

2 caveats:
1. Crop Duster is welcome to attend, but no crop dusting allowed. If he feels that urge, he can man the door to guard against unwanted vermin and fowl.

2. Not endorsing picking up a van full of "hula hoop girls" from the End Zone. At least not for the ** official ** party.

Iowa-based but used universally now.

"Content to lose by _______"

Originated by Brent Metcalf claiming his competition would rather try to make it look close rather than actually wrestle and get blown out.

PSUaggie, thanks for reposting the Brands interview on the 3" binder. I forgot it is the most important find since the Dead Sea Scrolls. I wonder how many pages are devoted to the Hula Hoop girl, one of PSUs more subtle but effective recruiting tools. Will the binder be in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame or the Dan Gable Museum?

Seeing that [3 inch binder vid] again, it's, almost enough to make me feel bad for him having to "partner" with parents on recruiting because he can't figure it out himself.

Agreed! And when a reporter asks Brands what’s in the binder, he says something to the effect of, “You know what’s in it. Everyone here knows what’s in it.” So Brands had no idea what was in the anti-Iowa binder until the parent of a recruit showed him and yet everyone in the press room knew instinctively what was in it without even looking? :D Golden.

BTW, perhaps a worthy addition to this inside joke list would be “not how we would’ve handled it” courtesy of Tan Tom (Tantrum?) via dunkej01 (https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/tom-ryan-takes-a-shot-at-psu-on-the-tweeter-machine.199243/).

P.S. Thx caliPSUfan for this helpful thread. Love it!

"that's not the way I would have handled it" - TanTom on how he would have organized the tOSU/PSU match to be in the BJC

PSUaggie, thanks for reposting the Brands interview on the 3" binder. I forgot it is the most important find since the Dead Sea Scrolls. I wonder how many pages are devoted to the Hula Hoop girl, one of PSUs more subtle but effective recruiting tools. Will the binder be in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame or the Dan Gable Museum?
Any possibility they can put a statue of Tom holding the 3" binder high in the air next to the statue of Gable screaming for a stall call.

Clarion is also home to the oldest golf course in the USA
Are you talking about the one by route 80. I golfed there one year for the clarion alumni football tournament. What a sight that was. Guys pissing in the hole and in bunkers. Beer carts with girls in short shorts the whole nine lol. Had a blast. Ended up with a T-shirt signed by Martin Hanks from the 49ers which ended up being my golf towel lol

Are you talking about the one by route 80. I golfed there one year for the clarion alumni football tournament. What a sight that was. Guys pissing in the hole and in bunkers. Beer carts with girls in short shorts the whole nine lol. Had a blast. Ended up with a T-shirt signed by Martin Hanks from the 49ers which ended up being my golf towel lol
really, sounds like a bunch of losers to me ****en up the owners course not cool

Can someone fill in the 83% thingy? I completely missed it, somehow.

Mark Hall did an open letter to all going through the recruiting process and used an arbitrary percentage of 83% to represent the frequency of a particular occurrence. HR jumped all over it and it mostly became a running gag over there.

FWIW, I thought his letter was great and if he was a Hawk, they’d have liked it too!

Am I the only one that always thought it was a ”How I Met Your Mother” reference and not at all arbitrary?

Am I the only one that always thought it was a ”How I Met Your Mother” reference and not at all arbitrary?
Mind blown!

Mind blown!

well how about that. In the 11th hour, this message board has actually achieved something.

well how about that. In the 11th hour, this message board has actually achieved something.

Sorry, I just thought it was always the generally accepted reason. It wasn’t until rereading this thread and not seeing it mentioned that I thought perhaps I was an outlier. Hell, I thought the Hawkeye Report knew.

Now, can someone please explain how, when, or why Full Court Press, a defensive basketball strategy, transitioned to an offensive wrestling recruiting strategy?

Sorry, I just thought it was always the generally accepted reason. It wasn’t until rereading this thread and not seeing it mentioned that I thought perhaps I was an outlier. Hell, I thought the Hawkeye Report knew.

Now, can someone please explain how, when, or why Full Court Press, a defensive basketball strategy, transitioned to an offensive wrestling recruiting strategy?
I believe that was a SPYKER call for Cael and company to do a FULL COURT PRESS in recruiting a potential, can't miss, gotta have, prospect!

Anyone else remember from the pre-Cael era the poster,"wrestlepsu", and the time he and another poster got into a serious argument that was supposed to be settled physically? Several pages of threats mixed in with a discussion of a bologna store near where the confrontation was to take place....entertaining stuff!

• Haha
Reactions: backdrft76
I believe that was a SPYKER call for Cael and company to do a FULL COURT PRESS in recruiting a potential, can't miss, gotta have, prospect!
I guess I never understood why one would use ‘full court press’ for a recruiting strategy when the goal for recruiting is to get the recruit to your ‘basket’ not to prevent them. There in lies the joke I suppose. Much like those that use Moby-Dick references for a task that they have successfully completed seemingly ignorant of the fact that the whale kills Ahab in the end.

I guess I never understood why one would use ‘full court press’ for a recruiting strategy when the goal for recruiting is to get the recruit to your ‘basket’ not to prevent them. There in lies the joke I suppose. Much like those that use Moby-Dick references for a task that they have successfully completed seemingly ignorant of the fact that the whale kills Ahab in the end.
Spyker is Deuce Rachal! :)

Last edited:
Do you mean Merton Hanks? Guy had the longest neck. Always waited for his head to pop off when getting hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT