ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Jokes...explained!

caliPSUfan

Aug 18, 2015
Not sure about the necessity of the thread, but as a few on another thread were asking about a few inside jokes, I thought I’d start a thread about some of the most popular so everyone is in the know...

-“insert name” IS BEATING NICO IN THE ROOM!...excessive rumors about mainly Suriano beating Nico in the room led to “everyone” beating Nico in the room. Apparently these were just ‘spykerisms’

-What mat are Carton and Pletcher on?...As someone else noted, Spyker may have been the starter on this as it was asked anout what mat these 2 were wrestling on repeatedly during last years NCAA tournament.

-George’s Barbershop references- the announcers of an early season away dual against Clarion repeatedly plugged “George’s Barbershop” and urged listeners to go in for a haircut and a shave.

Mike Evans is not impressed!...again noted earlier in another thread, Evans claimed that he was not impressed by Taylor and Dake during the season that he shared a weight class with them. It was blown up by fairly slush’s fairy regular poll posts that were pretty funny.

-Raptor...apparently that’s Cassar’s nickname.

-illegal fist to the back...in a dual with Nebraska, the student U announcers were clueless and called for an “illegal fist to the back” at one pont during the Alton match. Video was recently posted of the Ruth match from the same dual, definitely worth a watch!

I know there are plenty more, but I figure this is a good start...feel free to add on, explain further, or correct any of my possible errors.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

WE ARE!

Last edited:
-“insert name” IS BEATING NICO IN THE ROOM!...excessive rumors about mainly Suriano beating Nico in the room led to “everyone” beating Nico in the room.
Not "rumors," rather another Spyker-ism, claimed repeatedly last fall before official start of practice that the incoming true freshman was beating the previous year's national champ.

Stickify this!

I'll add:
  • Long Bus Ride / Average Officiating: What Tom Ryan blamed when true freshman Zain took it to 4x NCAA Champ Logan Stieber in their Rec Hall dual that year.
  • Aruba: Where (Tan--just look at him, distinguishes him from Tom Brands) Tom Ryan seems to like to go right after NCAAs while our dear leader is helping his team and student athletes succeed.

Mike Evans is not impressed!...again noted earlier in another thread, Evans claimed that he was not impressed by Taylor and Dake during the season that he shared a weight class with them. It was blown up by fairly regular slush (I think)posts that were pretty funny.

Credit El Jefe for inspiring me to run with that one. My involvement was all on FOS, and the jokes eventually led to the creation of a weekly poll (with Evans-based introductory satire), to vote on the most impressive performances in DI wrestling over the weekend. I dubbed it "The Mike Evans Impression of the Week". Man, was that thing polarizing . . .

Not sure about the necessity of the thread, but as a few on another thread were asking about a few inside jokes, I thought I’d start a thread about some of the most popular so everyone is in the know...

-“insert name” IS BEATING NICO IN THE ROOM!...excessive rumors about mainly Suriano beating Nico in the room led to “everyone” beating Nico in the room.

-What mat are Carton and Pletcher on?...As someone else noted, Spyker may have been the starter on this as it was asked anout what mat these 2 were wrestling on repeatedly during last years NCAA tournament.

-George’s Barbershop references- the announcers of an early season away dual repeatedly plugged “George’s Barbershop” and urged listeners to go in for a haircut and a shave (can’t remember which dual off hand).

Mike Evans is not impressed!...again noted earlier in another thread, Evans claimed that he was not impressed by Taylor and Dake during the season that he shared a weight class with them. It was blown up by fairly regular slush (I think)posts that were pretty funny.

-Raptor...apparently that’s Cassar’s nickname.

-illegal fist to the back...in a dual with Nebraska, the student U announcers were clueless and called for an “illegal fist to the back” at one pont during the Ed Ruth match. Video was recently posted of this, definitely worth a watch!

I know there are plenty more, but I figure this is a good start...feel free to add on, explain further, or correct any of my possible errors.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

WE ARE!
the entire Nebraska match, not just Ruth's individual match, was a chuckle!

Reactions: caliPSUfan
Stickify this!

I'll add:
  • Long Bus Ride / Average Officiating: What Tom Ryan blamed when true freshman Zain took it to 4x NCAA Champ Logan Stieber in their Rec Hall dual that year.
  • Aruba: Where (Tan--just look at him, distinguishes him from Tom Brands) Tom Ryan seems to like to go right after NCAAs while our dear leader is helping his team and student athletes succeed.
Here is the "average official" quote -- see #11 in the first post on p. 2 of this thread:
http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Doubles as the source of the "JEDI in 2 positions" joke.

-----------------------------

11) Logan Stieber has annihilated his competition this season with the one obvious exception. Could it be that the lack of tough opponents he's faced hurts him during those rare instances when someone actually challenges him? Or was he simply not feeling well at the time? Or was a weakness on bottom exposed?

"Logan has mastered 2 positions so well that the sport has become relatively easy for him. Double, bar arm pin. He is a JEDI in those positions. In addition, he is a competitor with a great understanding of composure. Logans loss was the �perfect storm�. He wrestled an athlete with a good game plan in a hostile environment with an average official after a 10 hour bus ride and the flu. Regardless loses are never the worst thing for us. They are hard to witness, yet they help us grow. Logan has grown." - TR

Credit El Jefe for inspiring me to run with that one. My involvement was all on FOS, and the jokes eventually led to the creation of a weekly poll (with Evans-based introductory satire), to vote on the most impressive performances in DI wrestling over the weekend. I dubbed it "The Mike Evans Impression of the Week". Man, was that thing polarizing . . .
some of the best comedy is...not everyone can be seinfeld.

A lot of people found it funny, but a few thought it was like the proverbial turd in a lacrosse helmet.

This one gets referenced a lot.

screen.png

More specifically, Ryan tweeted to complain about the refs in the Hall-Jordan finals, on the Monday immediately following nationals. Tweet location was Aruba.

With the finals Saturday night, travel home Sunday, tweet from Aruba Monday ... he wasted no time leaving town. If he thought his team could win the national title -- and they won B10s two weeks earlier -- wouldn't he want to be there to celebrate?

-illegal fist to the back...in a dual with Nebraska, the student U announcers were clueless and called for an “illegal fist to the back” at one pont during the Ed Ruth match. Video was recently posted of this, definitely worth a watch!

The Illegal Fist to the Back was in the Alton v. Green match.

We also need the origin of how Full Court Press crossed over from a defensive hoops strategy to an offensive grapling recruiting strategy.

Reactions: diggerpup
We also need the origin of how Full Court Press crossed over from a defensive hoops strategy to an offensive grapling recruiting strategy.
Spyker incessantly demanding Cael put a FULL COURT PRESS !!!! on David Carr.

Also numerous Sasquatch sightings when Tanner Hall was nearing the completion of his mission trip and many were speculating that he may end up at Penn State. Isn't it ironic that Nick will be facing Sasquatch in the match on Sunday at the NWCA all-star wrestling classic. I personally think we ended up with a great heavyweight with Nick, with the additional bonus of a pipeline to Big Snacks (for those that don't know, that's Seth Nevill's nickname)

Thanks to all for fixing some errors in my original post and adding in much needed info!

I’ve edited my original post with some of the corrections. I didn’t add any of the new ones because I refuse to steal credit from those who brought them up...thanks for participating!

Last edited:
Reactions: T J
Thanks for the thread. I have often wondered where some of those came from and have been totally lost in some discussions because of it.

Reactions: caliPSUfan
Re: Carton and Pletcher, my memory isn't was it used to be, but I remembered it being a normal (sane) poster asking the question, not Spyker. The problem was the PBP action was rolling so fast on the forum at time his question went unanswered. So he kept asking. :)

Can someone fill in the 83% thingy? I completely missed it, somehow.

Mark Hall did an open letter to all going through the recruiting process and used an arbitrary percentage of 83% to represent the frequency of a particular occurrence. HR jumped all over it and it mostly became a running gag over there.

FWIW, I thought his letter was great and if he was a Hawk, they’d have liked it too!

When someone asks if you "have a plan" ....

Cael Asks Pyles if he 'Has a Plan'

Willie: Christian interviewed Penn State Coach, and Olympic Gold Medalist Cael Sanderson after his team won Southern Scuffle in 2015. The Nittany Lions won with a bevy of talent (Jason Nolf, Zain Retherford, and Bo Nickal) in the cupboard as redshirts. Cael turned the tables on CP, simultaneously giving me the happiest moment of my life. If you listen close enough, you can hear CP shaking in his shoes.
http://www.flowrestling.org/article/41792-the-top-5-scariest-things-in-wrestling#.WfnwLWhSxPY

Re: Carton and Pletcher, my memory isn't was it used to be, but I remembered it being a normal (sane) poster asking the question, not Spyker. The problem was the PBP action was rolling so fast on the forum at time his question went unanswered. So he kept asking. :)

Some people say Carton and Pletcher are still on deck on mat 5.

The Illegal Fist to the Back was in the Alton v. Green match.

I think it was getting some money for Frank/famiyto Brazil

I go over to the HR forum sometimes to read about Iowa wrestling. I would appreciate any info who is this Bael, Carl, Kale guy?

ADVERTISEMENT