ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, Indiana ... Articles/Discussion

Allen's comments about how they limited Barkley's running ability by getting penetration were interesting so I just went back and started re-watching our game vs. IU from 2016.

PSU's starting OL was as follows:

LT (#73): Paris Palmer
LG (#52): Ryan Bates
C (#72): Brian Gaia
RG (#66): Connor McGovern
LT (#77): Chasz Wright

On the first offensive series (all I've watched so far), it appears PSU was trying to run off LT. IU was successfully penetrating the line because Palmer couldn't hold his blocks.

The other thing that was interesting to observe was how much bigger Saquon appears vs. last year.

Last edited:
Allen's comments about how they limited Barkley's running ability by getting penetration were interesting so I just went back and just started re-watching our game vs. IU from 2016.

On the first offensive series (all I've watched so far), it appears PSU was trying to run off LT. IU was successfully penetrating the line because Palmer couldn't hold his blocks.

The other thing that was interesting to observe was how much bigger Saquon appears vs. last year.
Went to that game, and it was disappointing to see Saquon get stuffed so often. My recollection is that penetration came up the middle, as well as around our left tackle. No doubt in my mind that the current O-Line is superior to that 2016 lineup in personnel, strength, and experience. PSU should light up the score board.

Tom Allen regarding Trace (paraphrasing) "He's just got that moxie in a quarterback that you want... that core confidence and belief "
These were my thoughts exactly when rewatching the winning pass to Johnson. That was a gutsy throw.

Tom Allen regarding Trace (paraphrasing) "He's just got that moxie in a quarterback that you want... that core confidence and belief "
These were my thoughts exactly when rewatching the winning pass to Johnson. That was a gutsy throw.

Trace can't be McMoxie. That's taken, unless he's McMoxie II.

Think I found our problem, we had two left tackles in at the same time ;)
The problem that day was #93 for Indiana. The good news is, he won't be playing this Saturday because last year was his final year in college.

Looking at Indiana’s stats - they have given up an average of 28 points per game to Ohio St, Virgini and GA St. Not that good.

They have given up an average of almost 200 yards rushing per game. Not very good at all, especially considering two of the teams they played are sub-par. Average of 4.5 yards per carry.

Their defense isn’t very good at all. Their qb is completing 58%. That’s below average for college. He is averaging 188 yards passing per game. He has 3 interceptions in3 games.

Don’t see Indiana being able to stop Penn St’s mutiple offensive weapons. And don’t see them being able to move the ball on the ground. Indiana has a whopping 17 yards of rushing against OSU.

Allen's comments about how they limited Barkley's running ability by getting penetration were interesting so I just went back and started re-watching our game vs. IU from 2016.

didnt Paris Palmer injure an ankle or knee on the first series? i think this was another game were we had to shuffle OL.

Went to that game, and it was disappointing to see Saquon get stuffed so often. My recollection is that penetration came up the middle, as well as around our left tackle. No doubt in my mind that the current O-Line is superior to that 2016 lineup in personnel, strength, and experience. PSU should light up the score board.

You are right on the facts. Indy had two LB's constantly jump right in the middle our OL unblocked stopping SB before he could get started. We better learn to block LB's in order to win this year. We were aided by 4-5 turnovers last year which was the difference in the game.

Any easy 100 yards rushing for Saquon next Saturday. I'm kind of hoping he can put up some good receiving numbers as well. Now that Marisa posted about it, I am intrigued at the notion of Saquon becoming the first ever FBS player to put up 1,000 and 1,000.

Reactions: psu00
Any easy 100 yards rushing for Saquon next Saturday. I'm kind of hoping he can put up some good receiving numbers as well. Now that Marisa posted about it, I am intrigued at the notion of Saquon becoming the first ever FBS player to put up 1,000 and 1,000.

Yea same here. Really interesting info she gave!

Reactions: psu00
Indiana has a very large number of players who are listed as "questionable" for this game. Now, this could be sand bagging, like the Wadley situation, but it's rare to find a coach who is sand bagging about like 7 or 8 players at the same time. We'll know more by mid week on this, I'm guessing. Some of those guys will go I'm sure, but some others will either be playing hurt, or won't go this week also.

I'd be surprised if Allen played them all, simply because of the furor over Wilson last year making his kids play hurt and degrading them.

This is a big step for Steven Gonzalez. If we get our 350lb guard playing at a high level, once we get Wright back we should see the OL take another step forward.
Also nice to see the props to Juwan Johnson.

Reactions: grinagrin
I expect Fant and Majette, two who were out last week, to play. Sounds like Lagow should be ready also after a cheap shot last wknd.

I hope DT Nate Hoff can go. That would be a big loss for IU.

I would be surprised if LB Ball can go. Hope I'm wrong.

I expect Fant and Majette, two who were out last week, to play. Sounds like Lagow should be ready also after a cheap shot last wknd.

I hope DT Nate Hoff can go. That would be a big loss for IU.

I would be surprised if LB Ball can go. Hope I'm wrong.

According to your depth chart they're all going. I don't know how healthy they are though.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
didnt Paris Palmer injure an ankle or knee on the first series? i think this was another game were we had to shuffle OL.
You're right. It was early in the first Q when Trace ran for a score. Bates moved to tackle and Dowrey took his place at guard. Palmer never returned.

Trace #7 on NFL.com's college QB Power Rankings....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...6992702=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

RANK

Trace McSorley - Penn State

NR

Week 4 stats: 31 of 48 for 284 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT; 17 rushes for 61 yards in 21-19 win over Iowa.

Week 5 opponent: Indiana

McSorley makes his debut in the top 10 after a heroic effort against Iowa. He made the game-winning throw in the final seconds on Saturday, as he found Juwan Johnson in the end zone for the walkoff score. Listed at 6-foot, 195 pounds, McSorley doesn't have prototype size, but as Indiana coach Tom Allen said on Monday, the PSU QB " is just special."

ADVERTISEMENT