ADVERTISEMENT

In The News

Why? Of all the reasons a kid uses to decide for or against a school, fewer in-state kids on the team seems to be near the bottom, if at all. Most will choose to be with other superior training partners regardless of where they come from.
Would you care if penn state had ten guys that they recruited from Russia and they all started? Or any other foreign country for that matter. Just curious

Would you care if penn state had ten guys that they recruited from Russia and they all started? Or any other foreign country for that matter. Just curious
Odd question. I support anyone who proudly wants to wear the blue and white. Are you implying you wouldn’t?

Reactions: dbldoofus
As long as they embraced the school and did not act like mercenaries with no interest but wrestling. Penn State is more than a single athletic team, and that is what most people outside just don't get.

Men's hockey team is American, Russian, Canadian, Swedish....love em all! (Sorry if I left out any countries!)

Reactions: hlstone
As long as they embraced the school and did not act like mercenaries with no interest but wrestling.
In some cases, you'll get mercenaries with local kids as well as out of state wrestlers. Guys mostly interested in themselves than the school. I'm going to trust that Cael is going to bring in quality student athletes, even if in the extreme example they are all Russians or Iranians.

As I said previously, I would rather see local talent, but the downside to leaning toward local talent is that you may end up with a less talented team. In part, I believe that is what happened at Iowa in the 2010s. They focused to some degree regionally rather than nationally and their recruitment network suffered because of it. I am talking in general terms and not specific cases. Of course there are always exceptions.

As long as they embraced the school and did not act like mercenaries with no interest but wrestling. Penn State is more than a single athletic team, and that is what most people outside just don't get.
The import from Ohio State seems to fit in with the culture.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
The import from Ohio State seems to fit in with the culture.
I'm not talking one or two imports. He made it sound like he could careless if any instate kids were on the team. So I simply asked if he wouldn't mind if the entire team was "imports" as you say. Not just merely one or two. Or at least all ten starters.

I'm not talking one or two imports. He made it sound like he could careless if any instate kids were on the team. So I simply asked if he wouldn't mind if the entire team was "imports" as you say. Not just merely one or two. Or at least all ten starters.
It was a joke (and a shot at Ohio State).

If you want a serious answer: Cael's job is to win. If PA doesn't produce sufficient talent for him to win, with guys who fit his program's culture on/off the mat, that's not PA's problem, not Cael's problem.

Same principle with USA, though Cael's travel budget is insufficient for overseas recruiting, and foreign wrestlers are riskier in folkstyle because they've never trained in mat wrestling.

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/trib-...transforms-from-star-qb-to-champion-wrestler/

Is there a difference between football shape and wrestling shape?

Yes. Being in shape and being in wrestling shape are two completely different things. That’s the same with football and wrestling. For football, my coaches say, “We need you big. We need you big.” I wrestle at 154 (pounds). They said, “If you come it at 154, we’re going to kill you.” Right now, I’m probably like 175. If I wrestle a week straight, I’d probably be back down to 165. Just walking in that wrestling room, I lose 10 pounds right away.

At quarterback, I’m not even sweating half the time. With some of those games last year, I’m out by halftime. I didn’t even break a sweat.

Reactions: nittinsc
ADVERTISEMENT