ADVERTISEMENT

In The News

Wrestling news these days: Sound of Crickets / Occasional non-event event (e.g., Dake vs Borroughs trash-talking on FRL) / Sound of Crickets

Sorry if already asked -- is the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club operation still going with guys actively training, or on a virus hiatus?

Sorry if already asked -- is the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club operation still going with guys actively training, or on a virus hiatus?
While I do not know for sure, I am pretty sure they use the wrestling facilities on campus and I believe they are in lockdown.

Reactions: royboy

My prediction. Nearly every team will have at least one wrestler significantly over weight due to the inability to train properly during the hiatus.

Sure you can do cardio and watch what you eat, as wrestling 101 type things but these are odd times. Too bad Markie and Cenzo had to move on, Beard would have had a very difficult time beating Cenzo unless VJ would have had to go heavy. ;-/

By my quick look, WPIAL has had at least one national champion in 13 of the last 20 years. 2016 is the last time WPIAL didn’t have at least two national champions. Stunning numbers.

Reactions: nitlion6 and royboy
Where do Blair and Wyoming Sem draw most of their talent from? (don't know, asking)

Don't know either although I know Blair gets them from all over, including out of the USA. Only two recent Blair kids to come to PSU I can think of are Ruth (D3) and Tomaev (Russia).

Which has become increasingly true of Penn State. I worry some about a trend that leaves us with fewer in-state guys in the lineup.
Why? Of all the reasons a kid uses to decide for or against a school, fewer in-state kids on the team seems to be near the bottom, if at all. Most will choose to be with other superior training partners regardless of where they come from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilco43
Why? Of all the reasons a kid uses to decide for or against a school, fewer in-state kids on the team seems to be near the bottom, if at all. Most will choose to be with other superior training partners regardless of where they come from.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

It's great to see PSU at the top. For me, it's even better when they are doing it with kids from Yatesville, Benton, Murrysville, Pittsburgh, Susquehanna Township, etc. in the lineup.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Which has become increasingly true of Penn State. I worry some about a trend that leaves us with fewer in-state guys in the lineup.
While i believe you should win your state in the recruiting game, it is definitely hard especially in wrestling due to the limited starting spots. Where you’d like to see penn st have PA kids. It also speaks volume to the way our coaching staff has recruiting out of state talent to become national champs and even starters in the line ups for 4 years.
I would tell you not to be worry about the trend because I’m sure penn st is doing what it can to keep talent home. Just sometimes a young adult doesn’t want to greyshirt and redshirt to see the lineup. They want to battle right now. Or they don’t have aspirations after their college career so they want to do their 4 years and join the workforce. At penn st, hard to do when you have so many studs that just get replenished every 4 years

It's great to see PSU at the top. For me, it's even better when they are doing it with kids from Yatesville, Benton, Murrysville, Pittsburgh, Susquehanna Township, etc. in the lineup.
When those guys are future national champs, Cael has landed them. Spencer Lee is the only PA national champ to go out of state. (Darian Cruz went to Lehigh, and was never a match for Nico.)

It's a good thing for the sport that the rest of the country is starting to make a dent in PA's dominance.

And it's up to PA to produce more champion-level talent.

I’d love that too. I think Iowa centric was Iowa’s problem for a time. As Iowa HS talent ebbed, so did the college team. That wasn’t the only reason to be sure. As with all types of sales (and college recruitment is sales and marketing), you need to be engaged with all your referral sources on a regular basis and take the kid wherever he comes from. Degradation isn’t instantaneous, but when you put artificial barriers in recruitment, it limits your ceiling.

The question is;

Figs or Steen?
SVN or Herrera?

Who would you rather see in the blue singlet with the white belt? The best is the best no matter what state.
Bingo. Wishing we had more PA guys sounds great, right up until looking at actual names -- then it doesn't sound so good.

When comparing our non-resident starters to PA options within 1 year, Berge is the only guy clearly behind PA -- and those PA guys (Hidlay and Young) both had a Jason Nolf problem during their recruitment.

A couple other guys were close: Lee vs. Pletcher (who Cael recruited), RBY vs. DeSanto, Shak vs. Preisch.

There were also cases where the non-resident won the job over the PA guy: Nickal vs. McCutcheon, Shak vs. McCutcheon, Hall vs. Morelli, Lawson vs. Gingrich, RBY vs. Davis.

Those are the closest cases. There were lots of not close cases, like Hall vs. Campbell or McIntosh vs. Hembury.

Cutting women’s rowing to save the budget is like the national government closing national parks to balance their budget. Neither is impactful or the cause of the problem and done to gain media attention. Try gutting your parasitic administrative class and reduce capital expenses on new buildings.
The problem at Connecticut is chasing impossible football glory -- and the string of ludicrous coach salaries and buyouts that ego trip caused.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/26/uconn-football-sports-cuts

Athletics ran a $42M deficit last year. That's a sigbificant subsidy from the academic side of the school. Something had to give, but it won't be the sport with by far the biggest deficit.

Cutting women’s rowing to save the budget is like the national government closing national parks to balance their budget. Neither is impactful or the cause of the problem and done to gain media attention. Try gutting your parasitic administrative class and reduce capital expenses on new buildings.

rowing actually has the highest scholarship limit of any D1 women's sport at 20. i agree it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall expenses that a major university like UConn faces.

rowing actually has the highest scholarship limit of any D1 women's sport at 20. i agree it's a drop in the bucket compared to the overall expenses that a major university like UConn faces.

What is the annual tuition plus room and board at UCONN? Guessing at least $50K so times 20 ships that is $1M, more than a drop in the bucket, although if the deficit is $42M it;s not a LOT more than a drop.

If I were a donor who endowed any of those scholarships, I'd be asking my attorney about reclaiming my donation since the school has chosen to stop fulfilling the terms and conditions

No way I would let the school reward itself by diverting my rowing donation into football or the general fund.

Or worse yet, into "development fees" like the current Ohio State Law School lawsuit.

How much does a boat and an oar cost i kid i kid

Reactions: Ja1339
ADVERTISEMENT