ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of FairG, name one thing on your bucket list.

So, I have given this some thought....because I have been working through a "I turned 50" bucket list for the last three years....I have done some of the things that I wanted to do, and still have some other things I would like to do....

But, I think the #1 thing on my bucket list is to be a positive affect on someone, preferable someone younger in my extended family....so that when I am gone, my legacy will be how I interacted with them, and that I was a positive influence on their life. Some of this is, honestly because of Joe - for all the wins and awards accumulated, those of us who have followed him closer than most, always come back to the man he was, as opposed to the accolades he received.

Don't get me wrong, I still have some selfish goals- I want to drive exotic cars around a racetrack, motorcycle through Morocco, take a selfie at Macchu Picchu, really learn to play bass well, and travel first class to, from and around the South Pacific Islands. But, I think my ultimate bucket list goal is to be of value, rather than just be a sum of things I have accumulated.

So, that's mine.

So, I have given this some thought....because I have been working through a "I turned 50" bucket list for the last three years....I have done some of the things that I wanted to do, and still have some other things I would like to do....
But, I think the #1 thing on my bucket list is to be a positive affect on someone, preferable someone younger in my extended family....so that when I am gone, my legacy will be how I interacted with them, and that I was a positive influence on their life. Some of this is, honestly because of Joe - for all the wins and awards accumulated, those of us who have followed him closer than most, always come back to the man he was, as opposed to the accolades he received.
Don't get me wrong, I still have some selfish goals- I want to drive exotic cars around a racetrack, motorcycle through Morocco, take a selfie at Macchu Picchu, really learn to play bass well, and travel first class to, from and around the South Pacific Islands. But, I think my ultimate bucket list goal is to be of value, rather than just be a sum of things I have accumulated.
So, that's mine.

That is a very honorable goal and one I would also aspire to. In my law practice, some people will tell me, with tears in their eyes, that their saddest thought is that 30 years after they are gone, no one will remember them, or if they are remembered, no one will mourn their loss. I make suggestions, like setting up a scholarship fund with their name on it, and some will take solace in that, but others find the whole idea very depressing. Your goal, of having a positive influence on another, is one I should bring up as well.

Seems like the perfect thread to quote the late great Warren Miller.

"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."

Sage advice, indeed.

Reactions: fairgambit
Successfully convert my old Gottlieb Surfer pinball (or maybe another old Gottlieb) to a Joe Paterno pinball w/ new artwork, plastics, knock-down targets, cabinet paint, backglass, etc.

Surfer:

IMG_20140531_162456.jpg
I can think of a few targets I’d love to see on your machine (ahem...surma...freeh....delaney....emmert...).

Sort of related. When I was young I wanted to win an Olympic medal in something........ anything really. That never happened, of course, but today John Henry Krueger won a Silver Medal for the USA in 1,000 meter short track. He's from Pittsburgh and my wife knows his mom from when my wife was a more active skater about 10 years ago. She (and others) shared ice time with John Henry when he was a kid. This is not to say his mom and my wife are close, but my wife knows her well enough to say hello and strike up a conversation if they passed on the street. Still, she feels terrific about his medaling today.

Honestly, I want to stand, screaming my lungs out while in attendance for the final seconds of Penn State's next National Championship. I think once that is done, I'm ok with punching my ticket outta here! We are......!

I can think of a few targets I’d love to see on your machine (ahem...surma...freeh....delaney....emmert...).
Wouldn't soil such a beautiful game with garbage like that. It's a 1976 machine, so drop targets would be 80's opponents, ND, ALA, sPitt, WVU, BC, etc. Spinner would be the Lion. I actually have some of the playfield artwork done on another computer.

The only thing stopping me is that my Surfer is a beautiful game as is. Can't see tearing it up.

I’m going to buy a fifth wheel camper and spend one week in every state. I have the map planned out. I want to visit events or places I’ve never been before. Six years until retirement and I’m gone. Always looking for recommendations from people.
That is a great idea. I know people that are trying to visit all 50 states, but sometimes they are just spending a day or two in a state. A week gives you a much better feel for the area.

I’m going to buy a fifth wheel camper and spend one week in every state. I have the map planned out. I want to visit events or places I’ve never been before. Six years until retirement and I’m gone. Always looking for recommendations from people.
I’ve been to 46/50 states, and there is PLENTY to see and do in our great country even in the most obscure places. Give me a chance to collect my thoughts and I’ll be happy to share some of my high (and low) lights.

Oh, and another bucket list is getting to those last 4 states (ND, NE, OK, & HI).

By the way, if you have never read Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, I highly recommend it. It's a story about the journey of a man traveling on the backroads of America. He writes about his interactions with ordinary people. Its over 400 pages long, and I think it's terrific.

Last edited:
I would also like to see all 50 states (I think im at 28 now). Secondary one is to meet at least 5 of psuro's sig pic girls in person.

By the way, if you have never read Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, I highly recommend it. It's a story about the journey of a man traveling on the backroads of America. He writes about his interactions with ordinary people. Its over 400 pages long, and I think it's terrific.
Dude, I LOVE that book! I first read it twenty years ago and re-read it every five years or so. I use a quote from it under my signature in my work email: "The biggest hindrance to learning is fear of showing one's self a fool."

It's a very fine book, unique and unforgettable. I treasure it.

Last edited:
Dude, I LOVE that book! I first read it twenty years ago and re-read it every five years or so. I use a quote from it under my signature in my work email: "The biggest hindrance learning is fear of showing one's self a fool."

It's a very fine book, unique and unforgettable. I treasure it.
I recommend it whenever I can. You mentioned about re-reading it, and I have to do that soon. It's been a good many years since I last read it.

Reactions: LionJim
A trip to Ireland is my main one. Was the dream honeymoon for my wife and I when we got married but there was no way financially for that to happen. Now, 18 years and four children later, it is still a dream. And still financially unattainable.

A trip to Ireland is my main one. Was the dream honeymoon for my wife and I when we got married but there was no way financially for that to happen. Now, 18 years and four children later, it is still a dream. And still financially unattainable.
I've also faced financial roadblocks in chasing dreams and they can be among the most frustrating. There are a number of my bucket list items that are on hold for that reason.:(

I will absolutely check this out! Thanks for the recommendation.

ADVERTISEMENT