ADVERTISEMENT

Important post in the "Press Conference Thread" below

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
in case anyone who still holds Joe dearly and wonders about TSM: (Please delete if deemed repetitive or not important enough, also, didn't know how to post a link so posted the poster's commments):

Heim is a name that will always be mentioned in whispers.
To those who still believe that the Second Mile as an organization, its employees, or affiliates including myself had some culpability in the Sandusky scandal based on conjecture, I hope to shed some light and context on the decisions that were made over a decade ago, at least as it relates to me and my role with these events.

These insights begin with one simple truism: Nobody that I know had any inkling that Jerry might be a pedophile.

It never occurred as a possibility until the release of the 2011 Grand Jury presentment that shocked a nation, destroyed a great charity, devastated a town, impugned a university, and by implication its wide alumni base, and maligned a personal friend, partner, and icon who did everything he was supposed to do with the information he had: Joe Paterno.

It is important to note that , especially for athletes, taking showers in an open locker room with no privacy after exercising or participating in a sport was standard and normal behavior, regardless of age. It was not uncommon to see grown men with younger children together in a group shower. We grew up with it and, to a far lesser extent with changing societal norms, it continues today in gyms and health clubs all over the country.

At the time I worked out in the Penn State facilities, it just never occurred to me or others who saw him that Jerry may have been using what was a routine part of athletics and sport culture to groom young boys for inappropriate behavior.

In 2001, Penn State officials informed the Second Mile that Sandusky had been seen in the football shower with a child. When specifically asked if there was any act or event that would suggest inappropriate behavior, the Second Mile staff was told NO. When Second Mile Executive Director Jack Raykovitz came to me with this information seeking counsel, I advised him (as did others on the executive committee) that there was no need to bring it to the entire board. If anything, we thought it odd that this was even reported to us if there was no witnessed misconduct or even allegations of misconduct. However, as norms change, it was understandable that Penn State wanted the activity to stop. At the time, The Second Mile had no knowledge of the 1998 incident, which was not reported to us.

Contrary to the conspiracy theorists, nobody at the Second Mile knew anything about Jerry doing anything other than wonderful things with and for at-risk kids until 2008. Upon receipt of the 2008 report [when Sandusky informed the board he was under investigation], it was immediately taken to the board of The Second Mile for action, which in turn banned Jerry from all kid-related activities.

Nonetheless, even at that time it was hard to believe for many in this community that Jerry would have done anything wrong. In 30 years of working with disadvantaged and at-risk children, to our knowledge Jerry had not had a single allegation of even the slightest inappropriate behavior toward children. Not knowing details, we believed that the 2008 incident was a misunderstanding. Not knowing what we now know about grooming behaviors and the warning signs of pedophilia, at the time it was unfathomable to think that he would actually harm a child.

It is difficult to find words to describe the horror we felt when the 2011 presentment was revealed.

I know the Second Mile and its employees did nothing wrong as do the numerous investigative bodies who spent years looking for evidence of misconduct in the organization related to Jerry Sandusky’s crimes and found none. I have personally been interviewed at length by those organizations and testified in front of the Grand Jury for over two hours.

With the benefit of hindsight, who wouldn’t question if we could have done more or done things differently? Sadly, we do not now have that choice.

I am still saddened that Joe Paterno did not live to see resolution and I stand in firm support of his family and the actions they are taking to defend and restore his good name. The glaring rush to judgment and the circumventing of Joe Paterno’s due process rights continue to haunt the university, my Alma Mater.

Joe Paterno did everything right as outlined under the new reporting policies that Penn State established after this incident. Despite that, the media and the public excoriated him. In a very small way, and I am certainly not comparing the severity of the two, the process of events of this past week is analogous to what the Paterno family endured at the hands of the administration: a reactionary decision with a lack of due process casting suspicion over those who did nothing wrong.

"I know the Second Mile and its employees did nothing wrong as do the numerous investigative bodies who spent years looking for evidence of misconduct in the organization related to Jerry Sandusky’s crimes and found none."

And yet, The Second Mile had a giant shredding party. No doubt to cover their innocence.

Follow the money.... and TSM had a lot of it and some very powerful people involved with it. The odor is still quite pungent and always will be until somebody, someday unravels “the riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma”!

TSM was not hiding pedophiia, they were hiding financial shenanigans that could have been criminal.. so panic shredding and do everything possible to keep attention away from TSM and some of its people. The subsequent crime was all the manipulations and maneuvers that cast blame and attention at P/C/S/S and put Sandusky in jail for life in order to keep the spotlight away from TSM and certain individuals and their families.

Well there you have it. And remember, Cousin Brucie is an Army Ranger, so he'll beat you up if you don't believe him.
Even Author Anderson didn’t shred their records, as fast as, The Second Mile! Pa. Elected officials and big donors moved the money around. From one pocket to the other and provided tax deduction donations for non-deductible causes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisrn1965
"I know the Second Mile and its employees did nothing wrong as do the numerous investigative bodies who spent years looking for evidence of misconduct in the organization related to Jerry Sandusky’s crimes and found none."

And yet, The Second Mile had a giant shredding party. No doubt to cover their innocence.
I’ve heard about the shredding party, but is there any evidence of it?

Gunsie would make light work of Heim in a parking lot of Heim’s choice.
Sorry but; LOL, Gunsie...
tumblr_mz1gncrDSP1ru7w7no1_400.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT