ADVERTISEMENT

IMO Darnold is not a pro QB

christoph

Jul 27, 2001
Not sure that I am the first to say it but I want to be on record. Lacking leg strength and athleticism. Doesn’t have the Tom Brady arm for a pocket guy. Cleveland may get yet another bust

Not sure that I am the first to say it but I want to be on record. Lacking leg strength and athleticism. Doesn’t have the Tom Brady arm for a pocket guy. Cleveland may get yet another bust

Yeah, I'm not completely sold on any of the top QBs. If I were Cleveland, I might do something like draft Barkley at 1 and Chubb 4th. Then package a couple of picks and move into the latter half of the 1st round and draft Lamar Jackson. May not work out but, if it did, that would be one exciting offense.

Reactions: psu 83 and N&B4PSU
Gee, whose opinion do I trust more?? Anonymous message board guy or NFL coaches/scouts.

This is a tough one.
without taking an official survey, my guess is that these people disagree with you:

Screen-Shot-2017-01-05-at-9.29.14-AM.jpg

Great point, Obli. Darnold looked like the most accurate QB in history during the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. I was surprised that he (apparently) took a step back this year (I didn't watch USC much).

Reactions: 81b&w and N&B4PSU
without taking an official survey, my guess is that these people disagree with you:

Screen-Shot-2017-01-05-at-9.29.14-AM.jpg

I was at that game, down low near the field. Based on what I saw, if my team needed a QB, I would take Darnold at #1 and not look back. Otherwise, I would take Saquon at #1. Both players are generational talents, in my opinion. People tend to forget how USC was playing that season before Darnold took over the QB job. The kid can play.

People think it's him being sly, but I take Sean Payton at face value when he says there are no franchise QBs in this draft.
The same was said about last couple of year's crop of QB's.
  • Deshaun Watson, 12th
  • Mahomes, 10th
  • Kizer, 52nd
  • Trubisky, 2nd
  • Goff
  • Wentz
  • Lynch
  • Hackenberg
  • Brissett
  • Cook
  • Prescott
Fact is, nobody knows. Of the players above, all of them but Goff were passed over by someone. Wentz was considered a project since he played at a small school, Prescott (perhaps the best of the last two years) went in the 4th round. Last year, Watson was considered a runner and not a passer.

bottom line is the browns have got to take a QB. Its a matter of taking the best of the lot and then hoping you and he can develop him.

Great point, Obli. Darnold looked like the most accurate QB in history during the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl. I was surprised that he (apparently) took a step back this year (I didn't watch USC much).
They, USC, graduated a ton of talent after the Rose Bowl. Adoree Jackson (who sometimes played on offense) and Juju Smith Schuster to name two. They also lost three OL (one drafter in the 4th round).

Didn't he also lose 3 starting members of the OL, a RB and a really, really good WR that tore it up for the Steelers?
Thats my guess as to why he took a step back.
This is based off of his season, I didn't see his workouts but I've heard people say he wasn't very accurate, then again it was raining when
he did it. sooo....

Chasing QBs is NFL folly. I would take Barkley and not think twice about it.
There is a ton of analytics that NFL has access to. There are tons of exceptions but QB's taken early tend to pan out more than QB's taken late. The Browns employ one of the "Moneyball" (movie) guys (Paul DePodesta). He won't give the details but factors in the draft position, skill set, cost and value to organizations mathematically. He has an awesome track record doing this in baseball (hence, the movie).

Its not often a team wins the SB with an average or inferior QB. So, that is the goal.

IMHO, the Browns only have one of two choices: draft a QB #1 or, thinking that there are at least four QB's that are closely bunched together in potential, draft someone else #1 and a QB fourth.

Didn't he also lose 3 starting members of the OL, a RB and a really, really good WR that tore it up for the Steelers?
Thats my guess as to why he took a step back.
This is based off of his season, I didn't see his workouts but I've heard people say he wasn't very accurate, then again it was raining when
he did it. sooo....

Please, let's not cry poor mouth for USC. Even with those losses, they still had a ton more talent than most of the teams on their schedule. Their RB had over 1500 yds and 19TDs. The RB and two WRs were invited to this years combine.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
It’s a tough call this year. Rosen and Darnold were very good in the college game (generally) but you never know how that translates to the NFL. Nobody wants the drama or notoriety of taking the next Ryan Leaf. Having the UCLA coach making less than stellar comments on Rosen appears to have lowered his standing with a few teams/ draft predictors.

It will be interesting to look back 5-6 years from now and see where Darnold and Rosen stand in the NFL compared to expectations from now.

Please, let's not cry poor mouth for USC. Even with those losses, they still had a ton more talent than most of the teams on their schedule. Their RB had over 1500 yds and 19TDs. The RB and two WRs were invited to this years combine.

Not doing that at all. Just pointing out that there might have been a good reason(s) that his (Darnold's) accuracy wasn't as good as the previous year.
I mean we had a front row seat for 3-4 years what an Oline can do to a QB's accuracy.;)

It's pretty funny everyone has forgotten what a turnover machine Darnold is. With the NFL premium on turnovers, whoever takes this guy is going to really regret it. He is absolutely the kind of guy the J-E-T-S jets jets jets would typically take. And it very well could happen.

The Browns should surprise everyone and draft a QB at #1 AND #4, and then offer one of the QBs as a trade for experienced player(s) and draft picks.

Think inside the box? No. Think outside the box? No. Ignore the fact that there is a box? Yeah - that's what I'm talking about.

well, lets be fair here.

USC scored 49, 42, 27, 30, 27, 38, 28, 14, 48 49, 38, and 28...31 in the bowl. So its not like the offense didn't do its part. Their losses were to Washington St and ND. The Washington state game was kind of flukish, for Darnold. The entire team got blown out against ND.

• Deshaun Watson, 12th
  • Mahomes, 10th
  • Kizer, 52nd
  • Trubisky, 2nd
  • Goff
  • Wentz
  • Lynch
  • Hackenberg
  • Brissett
  • Cook
  • Prescott
Fact is, nobody knows. Of the players above, all of them but Goff were passed over by someone. Wentz was considered a project since he played at a small school, Prescott (perhaps the best of the last two years) went in the 4th round. Last year, Watson was considered a runner and not a passer.

bottom line is the browns have got to take a QB. Its a matter of taking the best of the lot and then hoping you and he can develop him.

Goff and Wentz have looked like franchise guys. I don't think Prescott is. He is very solid, kind of an Alex Smith type. Watson flashed but you need to see him for a little longer. None of the others listed can be called franchise QB's yet.

All that said teams will chase QB's as they always do.

There is a ton of analytics that NFL has access to. There are tons of exceptions but QB's taken early tend to pan out more than QB's taken late. The Browns employ one of the "Moneyball" (movie) guys (Paul DePodesta). He won't give the details but factors in the draft position, skill set, cost and value to organizations mathematically. He has an awesome track record doing this in baseball (hence, the movie).

Its not often a team wins the SB with an average or inferior QB. So, that is the goal..

except Joe Namath, Jim Plunkett, Ken Stabler, Joe Theisman, Jim Mc Mahon, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypion, Trent Dilfer,Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles all disagree with you!!

Goff and Wentz have looked like franchise guys. I don't think Prescott is. He is very solid, kind of an Alex Smith type. Watson flashed but you need to see him for a little longer. None of the others listed can be called franchise QB's yet.

All that said teams will chase QB's as they always do.
all true...but one can always look at players like Brady and Wilson. drafting a QB is not foolproof but the analytics show that the probability is that you'll get a better one early. And were the Browns are, they simply have to take a QB with 1 or 4. They'd be laughed out of town if they don't.

It’s a tough call this year. Rosen and Darnold were very good in the college game (generally) but you never know how that translates to the NFL. Nobody wants the drama or notoriety of taking the next Ryan Leaf. Having the UCLA coach making less than stellar comments on Rosen appears to have lowered his standing with a few teams/ draft predictors.

It will be interesting to look back 5-6 years from now and see where Darnold and Rosen stand in the NFL compared to expectations from now.

Here's the 2012 draft. Looks like 3 of the top 5 were busts. Of course one was the Browns.

1 Andrew Luck QB Colts 99
2 Robert Griffin III QB Redskins 97
3 Trent Richardson RB Browns 97
4 Matt Kalil OT Vikings 96
5 Justin Blackmon WR Jaguars 95
6 Morris Claiborne -- Cowboys 97
7 Mark Barron -- Buccaneers 95
8 Ryan Tannehill QB Dolphins 94
9 Luke Kuechly ILB Panthers 96
10 Stephon Gilmore -- Bills 93
11 Dontari Poe DT Chiefs 92
12 Fletcher Cox DT Eagles 95
13 Michael Floyd WR Cardinals 93
14 Michael Brockers DT Rams 94
15 Bruce Irvin -- Seahawks 83
16 Quinton Coples DE Jets 94
17 Dre Kirkpatrick -- Bengals 92
18 Melvin Ingram DE Chargers 93
19 Shea McClellin -- Bears 92
20 Kendall Wright WR Titans 89
21 Chandler Jones DE Patriots 94
22 Brandon Weeden QB Browns 86
23 Riley Reiff OT Lions 93
24 David DeCastro OG Steelers 93
25 Dont'a Hightower ILB Patriots 91
26 Whitney Mercilus DE Texans 89
27 Kevin Zeitler OG Bengals 88
28 Nick Perry DE Packers 88
29 Harrison Smith -- Vikings 89
30 A.J. Jenkins WR 49ers 82
31 Doug Martin RB Buccaneers 90
32 David Wilson RB Giants 84

except Joe Namath, Jim Plunkett, Ken Stabler, Joe Theisman, Jim Mc Mahon, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypion, Trent Dilfer,Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles all disagree with you!!
Unitis, Brady, Wilson, Starr, Staubach, Montana, Brees, Warner, Favre, Theisman, Stabler, disagree with them!

He looked like Pro material against us in the rose bowl. but that's all I have to go on.

Unitis, Brady, Wilson, Starr, Staubach, Montana, Brees, Warner, Favre, Theisman, Stabler, disagree with them!
we are debating in Snake and JoeyT are above average QB's, I believe.
Snake career Career 184 146 2,270 3,793 59.8 27,938 194 222 75.3 118 93 0.8 4, 194 to 222 td to INT ratio? 75 QB rating?
Joey T? QB rating of 77?

TOTAL 2,044 3,602 56.7 25,206 7.0 160 138 340 2,757 77.4 355 1,815 5.1 17 0 0

He had a great game for sure....what was most painful was how he could avoid the rush, and get off an accurate throw at the last second.

It was a nightmare the fourth Quarter for sure.

• Deshaun Watson, 12th
  • Mahomes, 10th
  • Kizer, 52nd
  • Trubisky, 2nd
  • Goff
  • Wentz
  • Lynch
  • Hackenberg
  • Brissett
  • Cook
  • Prescott

Obli,

What's the story on Kizer. Complete bust? I thought he was injured.

Its not often a team wins the SB with an average or inferior QB. So, that is the goal.

IMHO, the Browns only have one of two choices: draft a QB #1 or, thinking that there are at least four QB's that are closely bunched together in potential, draft someone else #1 and a QB fourth.

I would guess that holds true across all positions. Guys drafted higher tend to be better than guys drafted later. The difference is that missing on a QB sets a team back for a longer period of time than missing on a running back.
And thinking about it, who have been the QBs that have won the last 20 Super Bowls? Brady (late in the draft), Roethlisberger (later first round), Eli Manning (early first), Peyton Manning (early first) Nick Foles (third round), Brees (2nd round), Rodgers (late 1st), Flacco (middle 1st), Russell Wilson (3rd round).
I would take Barkley and worry about a QB later.

Last edited:
Obli,

What's the story on Kizer. Complete bust? I thought he was injured.
They traded him to GB for a CB. Then they signed the QB from the Bills. Word is that he is a great athlete that isn't QB material unless there is a few years of sitting the bench maturing. Browns don't have time for that, GB does.

I think they knew they were going to draft a QB at #1 so no room for Kizer on the bench. BTW, missed you last weekend!

I would guess that holds true across all positions. Guys drafted higher tend to be better than guys drafted later. The difference is that missing on a QB sets a team back for a longer period of time than missing on a running back.
And thinking about it, who have been the QBs they have won the last 20 Super Bowls? Brady (late in the draft), Roethlisberger (later first round), Eli Manning (early first), Peyton Manning (early first) Nick Foles (third round), Brees (2nd round), Rodgers (late 1st), Flacco (middle 1st), Russell Wilson (3rd round).
I think that's right...and Dorsey was brought in to solve the QB problem....drafting a RB and DE isn't going to get it done for where the Browns are

He had a great game for sure....what was most painful was how he could avoid the rush, and get off an accurate throw at the last second.

Yea it all came down to a, dare I say "flukey" play. IIRC it was 4th down and we pressured him to throw across his body, late, in the middle of the field. Not only did we tip the pass, miss the int but their WR catches it for the first down.:mad:
We stop them on downs or intercept the pass and that game is ours.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
I'm not sold on any of the 4 but Darnold's the one most likely to be a star IMO. I think the Browns take Allen at 1 anyone so Darnold, if he is bust, will be the problem for the Jets

Reactions: Obliviax
If you think one of these QBs is an elite level QB you should absolutely take him. But in my opinion, you should not take a chance on a guy you think might pan out while passing over Barkley or whoever else you might have ranked that highly. Get the wrong WB- again- and you are spinning your wheels for a few more years.

Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and was NOT an average QB. He had bad knees and played on some bad teams, but was as superb a competitor as anyone. And he had the best release of anyone I've ever watched. He could flick it from his ear 60 yards with accuracy. The only other QB that threw the ball with the same release he had was Dan Marino. You can believe it or not. He's also the 1st professional QB to ever throw for over 4,000 yards in a season. It was a 14 game season then too.

I'm not sold on any of the 4 but Darnold's the one most likely to be a star IMO. I think the Browns take Allen at 1 anyone so Darnold, if he is bust, will be the problem for the Jets
That is exactly were I am. As someone in the local radio said "darnold has the highest floor, Allen the highest ceiling".

Dorsey drafter the strong armed but raw Mahomes last year. Good chance he goes the same route and takes Allen instead of Darnold though.

And thinking about it, who have been the QBs that have won the last 20 Super Bowls? Brady (late in the draft), Roethlisberger (later first round), Eli Manning (early first), Peyton Manning (early first) Nick Foles (third round), Brees (2nd round), Rodgers (late 1st), Flacco (middle 1st), Russell Wilson (3rd round).

I put this stat in the thread regarding Barkley.

Of the projected starting QBs for 2018 season

20 of the 32 were drafted in the first round. 24 of the 32 were drafted in the first and second round.

And Roethlisberger I’m pretty sure was drafted 11th so in the top half of the first round.

I’m predicting that there will be 5 QBs taken in the first round. Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, and Jackson. And they will all be taken before pick number 20. Heck i wouldn’t rule out that someone trades up into the back end of the first round and takes Mason Rudolph.

Reactions: royboy and Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT