ADVERTISEMENT

IMHO, PSU has shown the most important ingredients to beat scUM

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
I'm in no way predicting that PSU will beat scUM, but it is far, far closer than most predicted at the start of the season. Even so, the game is @scUM which is a huge advantage.

But back to my original topic.... The #1 reason I say this game will be much closer than most predicted is the play of PSU's defense - especially against the run. Our DL is much better than most of the Debbie Downers predicted... Chop Robinson is emerging, Mustipher is back, etc., etc., etc... The #1 Key to PSU beating scUM is shutting down their rushing attack.

Cliff, and this offense, have shown their capable of beating scUM - it is largely a question of which Cliff we get... Good Cliff or Bad Cliff.

Again, not predicting a win merely saying that all the necessary ingredients are there - PSU does have sufficient talent and in the right places to beat scUM. And PSU is the best team scUM will have faced to-date.... and scUM showed some cracks the last 2 consecutive weeks against less talented teams. This game is going to be close game imo regardless of which team wins.

Clifford got sacked 7 times last year by Michigan and we had zero run game.

We still had a late 4th quarter lead until King got caught on a well schemed pick play.

We have to have good Clifford. Corum will be a handful.
And that pick play was far worse than the pick that was called offensive pass interference against Iowa yesterday and the one that cost us the Minnesota game in 2019.

I'm in no way predicting that PSU will beat scUM, but it is far, far closer than most predicted at the start of the season. Even so, the game is @scUM which is a huge advantage.

But back to my original topic.... The #1 reason I say this game will be much closer than most predicted is the play of PSU's defense - especially against the run. Our DL is much better than most of the Debbie Downers predicted... Chop Robinson is emerging, Mustipher is back, etc., etc., etc... The #1 Key to PSU beating scUM is shutting down their rushing attack.

Cliff, and this offense, have shown their capable of beating scUM - it is largely a question of which Cliff we get... Good Cliff or Bad Cliff.

Again, not predicting a win merely saying that all the necessary ingredients are there - PSU does have sufficient talent and in the right places to beat scUM. And PSU is the best team scUM will have faced to-date.... and scUM showed some cracks the last 2 consecutive weeks against less talented teams. This game is going to be close game imo regardless of which team wins.
I would say that yes they have a chance if good Cliff shows up and if they don’t give up multiple big plays as a result of blitzing all the time. Michigans strength is their OLine. We will need to stop the run.

I would say that yes they have a chance if good Cliff shows up and if they don’t give up multiple big plays as a result of blitzing all the time. Michigans strength is their OLine. We will need to stop the run.

That was scUM's strength last year as well, but we were winning until the Referines allowed a clearly illegal Offensive PI "Pick-Play" to stand via non-call.

They also have DBs who can play man. That should help with the run defense.

Reactions: JJTopp99

I expected the DL to be good as long as Isaac & Mustipher came back healthy. The risk is depth at DT if either Mustipher or Beamon get hurt.

That said the DL usually takes on the blocks of the OL so LBs can come in and plug the holes. Unfortunately we aren't nearly as strong at LB.

Corum already has 611 yds rushing. I doubt that PSU can stop him without help from LBs and a DB. He'll be looking to get rid of the ball quickly and take advantage of PSU's blitzing LBs and DBs.

McCarthy is completing nearly 80% of his passes without an INT.

I expected the DL to be good as long as Isaac & Mustipher came back healthy. The risk is depth at DT if either Mustipher or Beamon get hurt.

That said the DL usually takes on the blocks of the OL so LBs can come in and plug the holes. Unfortunately we aren't nearly as strong at LB.

Corum already has 611 yds rushing. I doubt that PSU can stop him without help from LBs and a DB. He'll be looking to get rid of the ball quickly and take advantage of PSU's blitzing LBs and DBs.

Penn State is doomed. Doomed I tell you.

This is a good point and as much as everyone says Michigan hasn't played anyone, PSU also hasn't played a top 40 offense yet, to my understanding, especially one with balance. Corum runs on almost everyone -- that is Michigan's DNA. Where they can be difficult is if they have a QB that has accuracy on short/intermediate throws to balance their offense. So, far they do. Our LB's certainly aren't great, especially the depth and it makes the front 4 incredibly important vs Michigan. Nobody 'shuts down' Corum and their run game. But, you have to at least minimize it in key spots, 3rd and shorts, flipping the field by getting a three-and-out, etc. Sans the Covid year (which most people don't count), JF is 0-3 in AA, and it has been ugly. This really looks like be a prime year for a competitive game down the stretch, and/or possibly a win. If we can't match up with them now, I don't know when.

This is a good point and as much as everyone says Michigan hasn't played anyone, PSU also hasn't played a top 40 offense yet, to my understanding, especially one with balance. Corum runs on almost everyone -- that is Michigan's DNA. Where they can be difficult is if they have a QB that has accuracy on short/intermediate throws to balance their offense. So, far they do. Our LB's certainly aren't great, especially the depth and it makes the front 4 incredibly important vs Michigan. Nobody 'shuts down' Corum and their run game. But, you have to at least minimize it in key spots, 3rd and shorts, flipping the field by getting a three-and-out, etc. Sans the Covid year (which most people don't count), JF is 0-3 in AA, and it has been ugly. This really looks like be a prime year for a competitive game down the stretch, and/or possibly a win. If we can't match up with them now, I don't know when.
Huh? Do you mean prime chance to win in AA? We have the #1 QB of 2022 waiting in the wings and a couple of top freshman running backs. Our class of 2022 is very promising so far. I would think we'd have a chance there in 2 years as well as long as we're able to keep the band together.

Huh? Do you mean prime chance to win in AA? We have the #1 QB of 2022 waiting in the wings and a couple of top freshman running backs. Our class of 2022 is very promising so far. I would think we'd have a chance there in 2 years as well as long as we're able to keep the band together.
Right...of course...keeping the band together is key, but it's so hard to predict in the current climate of CFB...and really have to take things year by year as a roster. You could also flesh that out to Michigan's roster as well...JJ would be an upperclassman, but who knows if he is there long term. I meant more that in JF's meetings in the Big House (Sans covid), this team is probably more ready than 2016 (at the time), and 2018 for sure.

Izzard is back at DT, which should help depth wise. And I disagree regarding linebackers, Carter and Jacobs are both playing pretty good, and the two new inside guys are getting better.

Not saying we will win, but I think we can play with them. Clifford is the key. If we have multiple three and outs we will lose and possibly get blown out.

Right...of course...keeping the band together is key, but it's so hard to predict in the current climate of CFB...and really have to take things year by year as a roster. You could also flesh that out to Michigan's roster as well...JJ would be an upperclassman, but who knows if he is there long term. I meant more that in JF's meetings in the Big House (Sans covid), this team is probably more ready than 2016 (at the time), and 2018 for sure.
Oh definitely, those two were disasters. If we play like that this time then I'm going to be leaning to the CJF must go train unless it turns out that UM wins the CFP and we are merely a Top 20 kind of team. I do not expect that at all. I expect us to play well. If we lose it's going to be due to a huge effort by UM and possibly some help from the referines.

Reactions: scrivener
Oh definitely, those two were disasters. If we play like that this time then I'm going to be leaning to the CJF must go train unless it turns out that UM wins the CFP and we are merely a Top 20 kind of team. I do not expect that at all. I expect us to play well. If we lose it's going to be due to a huge effort by UM and possibly some help from the referines.
No doubt...at this stage, barring major in-game injuries, PSU shouldn't be blown out by anyone, especially Michigan which isn't a quick strike offense. I get Ohio State maybe as their skill position players are ridiculous, but there is enough talent on the roster that getting shelled at Michigan again just shouldn't happen.

Maryland was more than competitive with scum so I'm thinking we can be as well. We had them beat last year and Penn State is a much better team this year. That said McCarthy is aslo a very good qb.

Maryland was more than competitive with scum so I'm thinking we can be as well. We had them beat last year and Penn State is a much better team this year. That said McCarthy is aslo a very good qb.

First thing, don't fumble the opening kickoff.

Michigan defense has holes this year that they didn't last year. They blitz most 3rd downs. Maryland didn't run great on them, but I think we have much better RBs. They still got some short yardage 3rd down conversions. Nearly penalty free game too. Turnovers killed Maryland as well as the short yardage runs vs Corum.

Speaking of Corum, very shifty, great eyes, enough speed to make us pay. Gotta limit him to 3 yard gains instead of 6.

McCarthy likes his TE. Big thing seems to be getting him to wait on his throws. Longer developing plays within the pocket and he will trust his arm too much.

Clifford. Gotta be good Clifford for 3 quarters.

Michigan will pound, pound, and pound at the defensive line. Then throw to the TE and WR on underneath routes which have been challenging for the nits all year. PSU secondary is strong along the sidelines and over the top.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Disagree, we do often get very good QB play, but Cliff is a bit streaky and inconsistent. But again, he often plays extremely well.
He cant throw the ball deep to keep an defense honest. Now that he cant run he can't keep them honest with his legs either. Gonna be a long day on offense, our D is gonna have to dominate.
Michigan will pound, pound, and pound at the defensive line. Then throw to the TE and WR on underneath routes which have been challenging for the nits all year. PSU secondary is strong along the sidelines and over the top.
They are going to test our LBs, no question.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY

I think we play them similar to how we played Auburn early. Let them test our run defense. I think we'll concede yards early to get a feel for things and then either attack or adjust based on how things go.

I don't think Maryland has a better team than us and they gave Michigan a good game. They spotted em 7 points 2 plays into the game (muffed kickoff return followed by a 10 yard TD pass off play action). They also gave up 2 big runs to Corum on short yardage plays that were back breakers: a 3rd and 4, 33 yard TD run with 22 seconds left until halftime and another 3rd and 4, 47 yard TD run with 3 minutes left in the game.

Corum is going to get some yards. I don't think we can shut him down. The trick is to not let him gash us. Force McCarthy to be a perfect QB. I think we see why the DEs have been dropping in this game. Whether we can win those plays or not remains to be seen.

It would be nice if Indiana could give them a physical game also. Granted we have a bye, that's not exactly been the best thing ever for us either.

This should be a close game. scUM will want to run Corum 30 times and go underneath on us all day. On D they want to shut our run game down to make us one dimensional with Clifford having to throw 40 times. They know he is susceptible to killer mistakes.

So that is what they want to do so what do we do?

-Gotta stop their run game. No 5 or 6 yards on first down. This is a huge down. Pull the LBs up and go with one on one coverage. Their TE worries me though, need to account for him every play.

-We gotta be able to run it some. I am looking for 120 yards or more on the ground

-Need a solid game from Clifford not spectacular. Absolutely no picks. Good pocket presence and manage the game well.

-No fumbles for God's sake!

-Solid on ST

Reactions: lazydave841
This will be a war. Both teams will face failure head on. We’ll see who survives. Our run defense will give up more than so far. So will there’s. The pass defenses will give up plays they haven’t yet. It’s good on good. I actually trust Clifford in these situations he’ll screw up but I also think he’ll be spectacular at times. Let the fun begin

I think we play them similar to how we played Auburn early. Let them test our run defense. I think we'll concede yards early to get a feel for things and then either attack or adjust based on how things go.

I don't think Maryland has a better team than us and they gave Michigan a good game. They spotted em 7 points 2 plays into the game (muffed kickoff return followed by a 10 yard TD pass off play action). They also gave up 2 big runs to Corum on short yardage plays that were back breakers: a 3rd and 4, 33 yard TD run with 22 seconds left until halftime and another 3rd and 4, 47 yard TD run with 3 minutes left in the game.

Corum is going to get some yards. I don't think we can shut him down. The trick is to not let him gash us. Force McCarthy to be a perfect QB. I think we see why the DEs have been dropping in this game. Whether we can win those plays or not remains to be seen.

It would be nice if Indiana could give them a physical game also. Granted we have a bye, that's not exactly been the best thing ever for us either.
We have a propensity, too, for yielding back breaking play by the offense. Does third and long ring a bell?

Last edited:
We have a propensity, too, for yielding back breaking play by the opener. Does third and long ring a bell?

How many were TDs vs successful conversions?

Maryland giving up the 2 TD runs could have been a best case scenario of 2 FG tries if they didn’t get bottled up so close trying to stop short runs. Particularly the one before halftime. You have to leave a safety back on that and play yours corners better. It's truly like they were shocked that Corum could pop an inside run to the outside.

What’s not being discussed is that Iowa sharply outplayed Michigan in the second half. Corum was averaging 5-8 yards a carry in the first half and then <3 yards per carry in the second. Iowa made some adjustments that really slowed them down.

What’s not being discussed is that Iowa sharply outplayed Michigan in the second half. Corum was averaging 5-8 yards a carry in the first half and then <3 yards per carry in the second. Iowa made some adjustments that really slowed them down.

Ah, not quite. Michigan opened the 2nd half with a 3 and out and a 10 play, 6 minute TD drive. They only had 13 plays the rest of the game. They did slow down Corum, but Michigan didn't take any risks at all. Iowa eat up 10 minutes of clock to score one TD and get stopped on downs.

Had Iowa kept them out of the end zone to start the 3rd quarter, it might have been a different ball game. Mostly, Michigan did what they had to to beat an opponent who couldn't move the ball efficiently.

It's similar to our game vs NW, minus the rain and the turnovers. I don't think NW outplayed us in the 2nd half. We just got conservative. It's not flashy, but it works.

Ordinarily a bye isn't great, but in this case it's good. And Indiana just lost to Nebraska so forget that lol.

Ah, not quite. Michigan opened the 2nd half with a 3 and out and a 10 play, 6 minute TD drive. They only had 13 plays the rest of the game. They did slow down Corum, but Michigan didn't take any risks at all. Iowa eat up 10 minutes of clock to score one TD and get stopped on downs.

Had Iowa kept them out of the end zone to start the 3rd quarter, it might have been a different ball game. Mostly, Michigan did what they had to to beat an opponent who couldn't move the ball efficiently.

It's similar to our game vs NW, minus the rain and the turnovers. I don't think NW outplayed us in the 2nd half. We just got conservative. It's not flashy, but it works.

I think Iowa had something like 200 yards of offense and Michigan, something like 75.

I think Iowa had something like 200 yards of offense and Michigan, something like 75.

75 of Iowa's came in the last minute against the prevent defense.

I think there is some good info to take away from the game, but Iowa was never a threat to win.

Ordinarily a bye isn't great, but in this case it's good. And Indiana just lost to Nebraska so forget that lol.

My reasoning:

3-6 after a bye. 1-2 vs Michigan after a bye.

The good news: if we win, 9-11 wins is historically probable.

75 of Iowa's came in the last minute against the prevent defense.

I think there is some good info to take away from the game, but Iowa was never a threat to win.
This and the MD game proves our game will be close. We are certainly better than Iowa and I believe we are better than MD with more talent particularly on D. scUM is not dominant and will try to grind out a win. Stop Corum and we could easily win as long as we don't have costly turnovers. Easier said than done on stopping him though.

Watched parts of the B1G in Sixty re-play of the UM-Iowa game. Neither of our rookie RB's have reached Corum's level yet...IMO they will, but they're not there yet...and McCarthy, based on a small sample size, looks to be a better runner and definitely better passer than Clifford. Don't sleep on Michigan's D either. Bottom line...winning in AA this year is gonna be really tough.

Watched parts of the B1G in Sixty re-play of the UM-Iowa game. Neither of our rookie RB's have reached Corum's level yet...IMO they will, but they're not there yet...and McCarthy, based on a small sample size, looks to be a better runner and definitely better passer than Clifford. Don't sleep on Michigan's D either. Bottom line...winning in AA this year is gonna be really tough.

Really, you gleaned all this from scUM's performance in the Iowa game? scUM only put up 327 yards of offense in that game on 66 offensive plays hardly this mind-blowing juggernaut offensive display your claiming.

ADVERTISEMENT