ADVERTISEMENT

IMG @ Pine Richland

sunshinedynomite

Dec 1, 2014
Crazy game to schedule.

We invited St. Ed’s in a wrestling tournament in Warren back in 1991. St. ed’s had 10 kids in the final and won 9.

Warren also played the crazy good Baltimore Dunbar team with Wingate, Williams, Bogues, and others. I think they had 6 kids that eventually played in the NBA

Crazy game to schedule.

We invited St. Ed’s in a wrestling tournament in Warren back in 1991. St. ed’s had 10 kids in the final and won 9.

Warren also played the crazy good Baltimore Dunbar team with Wingate, Williams, Bogues, and others. I think they had 6 kids that eventually played in the NBA
Those Dunbar teams are arguably the greatest public high school teams ever. Reggie Lewis didn’t start in high school yet led the nation in scoring at Northeastern.

Crazy game to schedule.

I was at that game, was played in Erie if I recall.
Warren's star was John Bowen, who went to ND, but then moved on to Gannon.

I was still living in Bloomsburg moved later that year but i thought it was inWarren gym. I maybe wrong.

Yes Bowen was on the team. I believe it was fairly close in the first half due to for corner offense.

I knew Bowen fairly well back in the day and played basketball and baseball against him. Great guy and a great athlete.

That is insane and stupid of a public high school to schedule a PG school, and dangerous.

John Bowen is a principal in the Erie School District. He coached the consolidated Erie High School girls basketball team last season and won a District 10 championship. His team won a pretty close game in Warren during the season.
The Warren-Dunbar game was played at the Gannon Audi (now Hammermill). Score was relatively close at the half but there was never a doubt about the eventual outcome. Nor was there any “four corners” play. Warren played well early and Dunbar took a while to get rolling against Warren’s zone defense.
That St. Ed’s wrestling team put on an impressive performance in that Warren wrestling tournament. That event had a pretty solid field, as I recall.

I'm pretty sure since PR is a PIAA school, IMG post grads would not be allowed to play in that game.

In general, PIAA will recognize the eligibility standards of visiting non-PIAA schools. Games are played under PIAA rules. When playing out of state, PIAA teams follow PIAA eligibility rules but play under the other state’s game rules.

John Bowen is a principal in the Erie School District. He coached the consolidated Erie High School girls basketball team last season and won a District 10 championship. His team won a pretty close game in Warren during the season.
The Warren-Dunbar game was played at the Gannon Audi (now Hammermill). Score was relatively close at the half but there was never a doubt about the eventual outcome. Nor was there any “four corners” play. Warren played well early and Dunbar took a while to get rolling against Warren’s zone defense.
That St. Ed’s wrestling team put on an impressive performance in that Warren wrestling tournament. That event had a pretty solid field, as I recall.
Nice work. Thanks.

Those Dunbar teams are arguably the greatest public high school teams ever. Reggie Lewis didn’t start in high school yet led the nation in scoring at Northeastern.
There are/were three elite basketball schools in the DC area. One, Mackin, closed decades ago. Dunbar and DeMatha are the other two. Mackin is less known but produced these players among others:

Austin Carr/ND, Johnny Dawkins/Duke, Keith Herron and Larry Herron/Villanova, Dominic Pressley/BC, Duck Williams/ND, Jo Jo Hunter/Colorado, Tommy Little/Seattle (Elgin Baylor also went from DC to Seattle).

I saw both Carr and Little play in high school.

Here’s a list, published in 2008, of the top 100 DC area players:

https://dcbasketball.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/dc-basketballs-100-best-schoolboy-players-of-all-time/

Last edited:
IMG's Blue Team was getting beat tonight by Columbia, 33-19 last I looked.

There are/were three elite basketball schools in the DC area. One, Mackin, closed decades ago. Dunbar and DeMatha are the other two. Mackin is less known but produced these players among others:

Austin Carr/ND, Johnny Dawkins/Duke, Keith Herron and Larry Herron/Villanova, Dominic Pressley/BC, Duck Williams/ND, Jo Jo Hunter/Colorado, Tommy Little/Seattle (Elgin Baylor also went from DC to Seattle).

I saw both Carr and Little play in high school.

Here’s a list, published in 2008, of the top 100 DC area players:

https://dcbasketball.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/dc-basketballs-100-best-schoolboy-players-of-all-time/
There was/is a Dunbar in DC. I was referring to the Baltimore Dunbar. I was also only talking about public high schools although Dunbar and DeMatha played regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT