ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine if Iowa wouldn't have scored so quickly with their last TD..

VaLion'92

Nov 14, 2004
Crofton, MD
Or on our failed FG attempt drive prior, if we had actually chewed up more of the play clock, before the blocked field goal.

Since we needed every precious second to score that last touchdown, in either of the aforementioned scenarios, we likely don't have enough time to get that touchdown.

Wonder if Wadley would have been better off going out of bounds inside the 5 to burn more clock. Oh well! That's the beauty of the game. :)

Wonder if Wadley would have been better off going out of bounds inside the 5 to burn more clock. Oh well! That's the beauty of the game. :)

He absolutely would have been better off taking a knee at the one. Our only chance was for them to score quickly. Game should have ended 16-15 Iowa.

Or on our failed FG attempt drive prior, if we had actually chewed up more of the play clock, before the blocked field goal.

Since we needed every precious second to score that last touchdown, in either of the aforementioned scenarios, we likely don't have enough time to get that touchdown.

I remember thinking that Iowa may have scored too quickly, even as I was mentally preparing myself for a loss. I thought, however, that we might make a big pass play, not drive down the field.

Once they were in FG range, I was hoping we would just let them score, which based on our defense, we may have. Like you said, we had no time to waste. We had to let them score quick once they were in FG range.

Also...

What if Nelson doesn't bat down that 3rd and goal throw intended for Hamilton? He wouldn't have made it to the EZ.

Thankfully Apke is who he is.

LdN

Once they were in FG range, I was hoping we would just let them score, which based on our defense, we may have. Like you said, we had no time to waste. We had to let them score quick once they were in FG range.

Yeah, once they had the play that brought them on the cusp of FG range with a ton of time, I was kinda hoping they'd score quickly instead. I feel like our chances of winning was much better with the ball and knowing a TD wins it than with Iowa with the ball and close to a FG and being able to run out the clock.

Reactions: VaLion'92
I said to our group that the dude should've taken a knee. That's a mid-western edumacation for ya.

Funny you mention because during one of the post game shows they said the same thing. I guess the rap on PSU going forward is this: you don't leave the door open. And I love it!

I get the larger point, but the score put points on the board. If he takes a knee and Iowa fumbles a snap or has a kick blocked, that's worse than what happened. At least Iowa made PSU drive and use every second to try to win.

You're absolutely right. You never take points off the board when you're losing. There are no guarantees you will score (including a short FG) You score and put the game in the hands of your defense (which had been playing great all night) No question about it.

Can anyone give an example of a player ever passing up a sure touchdown to go down with the intention of killing time off the clock, while their team was behind? Ever?

No, we're railing on their Iowa education, when in reality that's just coaching 101. That there was a lot of time left is a feature being able to score. You take the points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT