ADVERTISEMENT

I'm leaning towards learning the guitar..

Can someone suggest a good electric guitar to start with? I usually shop sweetwater.. Electric is where I want to end up so now you guys have me thinking...

Look at Fairgambit Enterprises. Pricey, but worth a look.

2133c939b1218c2921672d7a16fca9f9.jpg

Can someone suggest a good electric guitar to start with? I usually shop sweetwater.. Electric is where I want to end up so now you guys have me thinking...
For me, the biggest bang for your buck is the Ibanez artcore. I own one and often find myself picking it up over some of my higher end guitars. It's semi hollow so you can play it without amp and at least hear it better than a solid.

It is a popular misconception among students that you should start on acoustic. you can always progress to acoustic after you've built your calluses and you can progress to a more expensive electric if you really get into it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AS53TF--ibanez-artcore-as53-tobacco-flat

I have an Ibanez AF75 (Artcore) Hollow body electric archtop jazz guitar with dual humbucker pickups. It can be played acoustically as well as electrically. About as loud acoustically as my first guitar - a Harmony H1310 archtop jazz acoustic. Good for jazz and rock - more like rockabilly, actually. You may want to think about something like this.

Can someone suggest a good electric guitar to start with? I usually shop sweetwater.. Electric is where I want to end up so now you guys have me

It depends on what style of music you want to learn. Just for example... Clapton, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. --> a strat(body) style, single-coil pickup guitar. Aerosmith, GunsNRoses-style heavy rhythms --> guitar with humbucking pickups... e.g. a Les Paul.

Strat bodies are lighter... probly more beginner friendly. You can buy a "fat strat",
i.e. a strat body w humbuckers, if you want a lighter body but a heavier sound.

Tried to learn guitar on my own with DIY books. Grad school, kids, and life got in the way and I haven't picked up a musical instrument in 30+ years. If I wanted to start again, I think I'd start with one of these.
a2bf6434-eafe-4455-8d41-d08a7fd56b51_1.406801c8ff4a7a9614c7791b085c4873.jpeg

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
FYI. If you are leaning towards the fender route you can get 10% off all purchases if you sign up with fender play.

Reverb is another site to look for a guitar.

I agree with the start on an acoustic crowd. It is harder, but if you want to learn how to play well it is your best option. If your just playing around it doesn't matter. I didnt get my first Martin until my 30's, I wish I would have dropped that coin decades earlier. Its just not worth it playing cheap guitars. Everyone wants to learn riffs and play lead. I suggest you learn your chord formations, 12 bar blues, and power chords first. It will help your hand and finger strength and help you get accustomed to the instrument. Will also help you score chicks around a campfire. Half the battle is getting the strength in your fingers to be able to press the strings down for extended periods of time. Play for a short amount of time several times a day until you get there.

I've been playing for 30+ years, it is truly an addiction.

An example of an Ibanez AF75 (mine). Not quite the same quality of a Gretsch like the Gretsch G6120, but pretty close at nearly 1/10th the price.

G3h9gYx.jpg

An example of the Gretsch (G6120SSU Brian Setzer Signature - also mine). The Ibanez plays and sounds fairly similar to the Gretsch.
gCUuzV8.jpg

If you want to go Strat style or Les Paul style that is fine as well. I've got examples of these as well. Squier strats have really improved in quality and playability over the years and an Epiphone or PRS SE Les Paul style guitar also could fit the bill.

Reactions: Bird-in-Hand boy
I'm going to make one more comment about learning to play guitar.

Don't learn what someone else wants you to learn or what the teacher says or any of that. Learn to play the songs that you love, songs that you have a passion for, that's the only way. Only your passion can take you to where you want to go.

And learn to play standing up; it's way more fun that way.

Hey there, buddy! I'm left-handed, and when I began playing guitar, I learned to play with my right hand without inverting the strings. So I guess you could just learn to play with your left hand from the very beginning. Trust me, it’s nothing unattainable. If you find it hard to choose a model, I recommend looking at some electric guitars here. They offer lots of reviews, as well as tips for beginners. I’d also suggest starting off with a nylon string guitar until your fingertips develop a certain resistance and numbness to avoid pain and cuts. Cheers!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT