ADVERTISEMENT

I'm leaning towards learning the guitar..

rotzc

Jan 4, 2002
I'm looking for suggestions for guitars, online learning or anything in general to help a 52 year learn guitar. I started playing piano two Christmas's ago but I can't play chords with my right hand. Broke it years ago and can not move my ring finger independently of my middle or pinky. Figured guitar might be possible alternative..

Reactions: NedFromYork
I'm looking for suggestions for guitars, online learning or anything in general to help a 52 year learn guitar. I started playing piano two Christmas's ago but I can't play chords with my right hand. Broke it years ago and can not move my ring finger independently of my middle or pinky. Figured guitar might be possible alternative..
Good luck! You will still struggle with some stuff due to your right hand injury. other songs will be fine.

I tried to learn in my later years and just couldn't make it. I tried to teach myself but that only got me so far. I then took lessons from a guy that played as a backup for Alice Cooper for years. My challenge was that I just couldn't get beyond the lack of linearity that other instruments provide. Piano, for example, is just a linear set of keys that changes the note. I know it gets complex but that is the baseline, at least. Too much biz travel, kids events and family obs. Finally, I broke the little finger of my left hand (being right handed) and that was that. I did have a family member that started in his 50's and got good. He said his inflection point was playing with garage bands. He started playing rythim guitar and gradually worked his way up with help from bankmates.

You can pick up some good used guitars and any decent music instrument or lesson shop. Lots of people start out with low to medium costs and then move up. They trade in or sell their older equipment. I've got an almost unused Fendor Strat that is quite good but it is nothing more than a decoration now.

StratAPR3SB-xlarge.jpg

What type of music are you looking to play?
Strumming chords?
Finger picking?
Leads?

Electric is usually better in the "playability" arena, but you have to have a means of plugging it in, so taking down to the river to sit and play a few songs isn't as easy.

I prefer acoustic. You can get something decent in the $300-$500 range.

Honestly, I just want to be able to play some classic tunes/riffs at this point. I'm a huge music fan and the idea of playing Gilmour, Rhoads, Scholz, or Page type licks would be awesome. I know that's some big shoes.

I liked the idea of piano because all pianos basically have the same sound. Plus learning music keeps my brain active and challenged. I hope that makes sense? Guitars seem way more involved with pedals and such.. I like portability of acoustic and hopefully playing electric in the future.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Honestly, I just want to be able to play some classic tunes/riffs at this point. I'm a huge music fan and the idea of playing Gilmour, Rhoads, Scholz, or Page type licks would be awesome. I know that's some big shoes.

I liked the idea of piano because all pianos basically have the same sound. Plus learning music keeps my brain active and challenged. I hope that makes sense? Guitars seem way more involved with pedals and such.. I like portability of acoustic and hopefully playing electric in the future.
Having played instruments and music my whole life....

If you don't know music theory, the piano is the instrument to learn on. The whole thing is laid out right in front of you. The whole steps and half steps, sharps and flats so easy to visualize. There are only two directions....up and down the keyboard.

Guitar is a little more complicated in that the sharps and flats don't look any different than the other notes, and in addition to up and down the neck, you are going across the fretboard.

When I play piano, I think about the notes I am playing. When I play guitar I only think about where my fingers are supposed to go.

Grab an acoustic by any of the well known makers. They will all have a series of instruments that are fine instruments, just not top of the line with all solid tone woods.

Go to a local shop if you have one. Play a bunch of different guitars. Neck profiles are different. Find the one that feels and sounds good to you

I've played for 35 years and taught for about 15 years. I would agree with PearlSUJam. One of the biggest challenges for many of my students was stiffness of acoustic guitar strings (and neck size to some extent). I would encourage you to look at a cheap electric (Mexican Fenders, Ibanez some good examples) and a small amp. You will have more success with the lighter strings and be more apt to continue. If you are set on an acoustic, you can buy electric guitar strings to start (or super light acoustic strings). It will sound crappy, but you can upgrade as your fingers get stronger.

Most people have best luck with an instructor, at least for a year or so, but you can get a lot of free lessons on youtube. Don't bother with books. Good luck and feel free to send me questions.

I would recommend starting with an in person instructor. I have done it all - live in person instructor, online and DVD. It helps having the personal touch of someone to show you how to do certain things live such as placing your fingers on the fretboard, etc. when first starting to learn. You can later graduate to online or DVD once you have learned some fundamentals. I’ve been playing guitar on and off since 1971 and have about 30 of them including 2 acoustics.

I recommend starting out on an acoustic because you will develop better hand and finger strength. But try out different acoustics in a store first as someone mentioned above. You want one with a neck profile (thickness, width and shape) that feels most comfortable to you. Also lower action (string height above the fretboard) and lighter gauge strings. Some acoustics are actually pretty easy to play. You don’t want heavy gauge strings way above the fretboard. There are lots of fairly good guitars at moderate prices. You don’t need a Gibson, PRS, or other expensive brands right off the bat. Plenty of good, but less expensive models from brands like Ibanez and the like. As stated above - demo as many as you can in the store first.

Last edited:
Gambit will give you rock bottom lessons at sky high prices.

• Haha
Reactions: fairgambit
I'm 58 and started playing 20 years ago. Rock n roll, esp. Van Halen. Self-taught but with VHS tapes by VH guru Curt Mitchell and others... then tablature (sort of a cheat for reading music... perfect for you right away)... Youtube videos.

I just checked in to a cottage on Ohio's Lake Erie shore for 3 days... brought my EVH Striped Series (black n white).

Endless enjoyment with this hobby! Give it a good shot! Agree w the advice above... get a cheap electric. Get one with HUMBUCKER pickups for heavy rock n roll tone.

Don't listen to any of these people... they have no clue what they are talking about. To become good, you need the right equipment. And the right equipment means spending money. For guitar, you'll want this one.

For an amp, you'll need this one.

Music equipment is like golf clubs. The more money you spend and nicer stuff you buy, the better you'll be.

Reactions: Sviatoslav
I'm 58 and started playing 20 years ago. Rock n roll, esp. Van Halen. Self-taught but with VHS tapes by VH guru Curt Mitchell and others... then tablature (sort of a cheat for reading music... perfect for you right away)... Youtube videos.

I just checked in to a cottage on Ohio's Lake Erie shore for 3 days... brought my EVH Striped Series (black n white).

Endless enjoyment with this hobby! Give it a good shot! Agree w the advice above... get a cheap electric. Get one with HUMBUCKER pickups for heavy rock n roll tone.
Very easy to catch GAS, the guitar player’s malady. That is, Gear Accumulation Syndrome.

This 000-45 Martin from 1938 is a steal for $95,000. This is the acoustic model that Eric Clapton likes.
GF4025-2_compact.jpg

This is the nice thing about being a drummer. There is minimal "learning". You have rhythm, or you don't, and if you do, you never lose it. I got back behind a kit after about 35 years and quickly had the time of my life.

This is the nice thing about being a drummer. There is minimal "learning". You have rhythm, or you don't, and if you do, you never lose it. I got back behind a kit after about 35 years and quickly had the time of my life.

I jammed out with the AC repair guy today. Drummers have it so easy; just sit down and get after it. He said he missed his double bass but he sounded fine to me.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Don't listen to any of these people... they have no clue what they are talking about. To become good, you need the right equipment. And the right equipment means spending money. For guitar, you'll want this one.

Music equipment is like golf clubs. The more money you spend and nicer stuff you buy, the better you'll be.
Guitar center? LOL, like sending a starving man to Applebees.

:cool:

I was looking at a Breedlove concertina. Electric acoustic for $550ish. Supposedly there a good starter guitar.

Buy a cheap electric and cheap amp and move up to more high end if you stick with it. The reason would recommend electric over acoustic is the strings aren't as rigid and the frets tend to be smaller.
Don't go too cheap. And don't get a 100 watt tube amp, either unless you live in a stadium.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

Good Lord, that amp will get him thrown out of not just the house, but the neighborhood.

• Haha
Reactions: republion
Don't mess with electric to start, and spend some money if you have some to spend. Get a Martin D-28 or HD-28 which you'll just love and at a cost of $2.8k to $3.4k well worth the money. Made in Nazareth PA.

Reactions: Rhino80
I love my HD-28....but as a starter guitar????
Not for a 4th grader but an adult with some money...yes. For the 4th grader you should get an electric guitar with a small amp which will give you a 50% greater chance that they'll actually stick with playing over starting with an acoustic.

Not for a 4th grader but an adult with some money...yes. For the 4th grader you should get an electric guitar with a small amp which will give you a 50% greater chance that they'll actually stick with playing over starting with an acoustic.
You probably won't find a bigger Martin fanboy on the board....I've owned 5 and still have 2. It's just that is a lot of coin to drop on something he is not sure he is even going to enjoy.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
My wife and I, both devoid of musical talent and well into our golden years, began guitar lessons 28 months ago. We started with acoustic but soon went to electric which we both agree is much easier. We tried online stuff and found it a waste of time so we began in person lessons and those have made all the difference. Our goal was to play a few Christmas songs for our family and friends. We have exceeded all our expectations. I have not missed a day of practice since we started. We both just love playing. Neither of us sound like Clapton but we're not bad either. The point of all this is if we can do it anyone can. Good luck!

Very easy to catch GAS, the guitar player’s malady. That is, Gear Accumulation Syndrome.
☺ yep. I have a nice little practice studio... but, guitar-wise, after years of changing my tastes and trading in, etc., I've settled on just two higher end guitars - a honey-burst Les Paul and the EVH Striped Series.

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
Don't go too cheap. And don't get a 100 watt tube amp, either unless you live in a stadium.
Tell the man you need a 15 watt solid state amp. Won't cost you more than $150.
Solid state amps are what we all commonly use for practice at lower volume. If you really get in to it, then you can get a tube amp. Tube amps, btw, don't sound good at low volume anyway... their tone comes out when they're cranked.

Marshall makes a nice 15 watt amp.

Reactions: odshowtime
My wife and I, both devoid of musical talent and well into our golden years, began guitar lessons 28 months ago. We started with acoustic but soon went to electric which we both agree is much easier. We tried online stuff and found it a waste of time so we began in person lessons and those have made all the difference. Our goal was to play a few Christmas songs for our family and friends. We have exceeded all our expectations. I have not missed a day of practice since we started. We both just love playing. Neither of us sound like Clapton but we're not bad either. The point of all this is if we can do it anyone can. Good luck!
I've played for about 20 years. mostly self taught. Started on acoustic (started with a Yamaha and now have an Ovation and a Takamine). Playing in Church forced me to improve. Have played some other settings too. Now I mostly play electric with a Helix (Fender Strat and a Gretsch).

There are some pretty good online resources. They may not be as good as lessons, but pretty good nonetheless. Here are a few I've used:
https://www.justinguitar.com/ good for acoustic learning and songs
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ good for tabs and the pay site has some learning content
https://musiciswin.com/ mostly a pay site, but the guy has some pretty funny and good youtube content
Ayla is great player and teacher
I enjoy Brett Papa stuff too for electric

I don't have experience with Fender Play but it gets good reviews.

As far as guitar to buy.....you will likely want both an acoustic and electric :) Obviously for Electric, you have to have an amp (and then may want some effects peddles or "box" like my Helix). An acoustic like my ovation can be plugged in once you have an amp and with the right effects, can sound like an electric. A good value brand guitar is the Seagull.

Have fun!

Reactions: Sviatoslav

I've played for 35 years and taught for about 15 years. I would agree with PearlSUJam. One of the biggest challenges many of my students was stiffness of acoustic guitar strings (and neck size to some extent). I would encourage you to look at a cheap electric (Mexican Fenders, Ibanez some good examples) and a small amp.
I was guided and mostly self taught from a guy that was basically my older brother growing up. He taught me the blues scale and gave me a literally garbage picked f hole acoustic for me to start off. Frets were huge, strings were obese and I had no wrist strength but I was determined. He hooked me up with an electric Ibanez and a small amp my playing took off.

Reactions: Bird-in-Hand boy
ADVERTISEMENT