ADVERTISEMENT

I'm having a hard time getting psyched up for the Pens early in the season....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC

Is it the fact that it seems like PSU football is still developing an identity and the football season seems like it's still getting started, or it the fact that the Pens have 70% of their payroll tied up in forwards yet can't score goals? I don't know.....

S

Is it the fact that it seems like PSU football is still developing an identity and the football season seems like it's still getting started, or it the fact that the Pens have 70% of their payroll tied up in forwards yet can't score goals? I don't know.....
So you're suggesting that you're having trouble "raising it" so soon?

I think there are 4 hour products available for your condition. :)

I know alot of people don't like goon hockey and I respect that, but they have made the NHL, Soccer on ice. Its a dance floor now. You hardly can't touch anyone. I haven't watched a full game in a few years. I laughed when the Pens hired a WHL coach to coach the so called best 2 players in the world. I have said it before and will again, the Pens need to trade 87. But considering how much merchandise he sells and he lived with the owner, that won't happen until Mario is 100% out of the picture. They would be better as a 1 superstar team and with a coach he has a defensive system.

I don't start paying attention to hockey until February. When 16 teams make the playoffs, it's a good strategy. 0-3. Gotta trade Crosby or Malkin. Get something substantial in return.

Pieces dont seem to be fitting yet. No doubt they're a playoff team barring some blueline injuries, but probably not the top team in the East anymore.

Pieces dont seem to be fitting yet. No doubt they're a playoff team barring some blueline injuries, but probably not the top team in the East anymore.

When were they the top team in the East? They have had what, 5-6 years of failure? In that time, they have fired coaches, got back up goaltenders to take load off MAF, redid their wingers for their top 2 centers, re-did their bottom 6 lines. The only thing in that time that has stayed the same has been Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF. Their top 4 players on their payroll. Maybe its time for a change with those 4. Letang and Sid would be my two I would dangle.

Can't really take an accurate read on a hockey team (especially one with as much turnover as the Pens) for at least a month, if not more in this case. They've run into some pretty hot goaltending in the first week but not really lacking for chances. Ironically, the D was supposed to be a weakness and offense a significant strength, but so far the D has been adequate while the forwards can't seem to get it going.

It's a different roster with Dupuis and Fehr in the top 9.

I know alot of people don't like goon hockey and I respect that, but they have made the NHL, Soccer on ice. Its a dance floor now. You hardly can't touch anyone. I haven't watched a full game in a few years. I laughed when the Pens hired a WHL coach to coach the so called best 2 players in the world. I have said it before and will again, the Pens need to trade 87. But considering how much merchandise he sells and he lived with the owner, that won't happen until Mario is 100% out of the picture. They would be better as a 1 superstar team and with a coach he has a defensive system.
Are you nuts, there may be less overt violence, but scoring is WAY down....Every one of your posts is more clueless than the next.

You can't score when you don't shoot. Sid and Geno (particularly Sid) are over passing. Not sure why. Sid is getting rid of the puck so quickly that he has basically ceased to be an offensive threat.

Are you nuts, there may be less overt violence, but scoring is WAY down....Every one of your posts is more clueless than the next.

I don't know, almost every goal I have seen on the highlights given up was cause of some sort of break down. This team continues to play Ben Lovejoy and Rod Scuderi, 2 guys who shouldn't be in the NHL, and Mario as an owner is a problem. The idea of letting a player live with him was pretty bad, while he pretty much threw Geno out on the street when he came over without knowing English.

Like I said, team will not win until they dump salary from their top 4 players and add depth and can roll 4 lines, and play a good defensive system. Kris LeTang isn't a defenseman. He is a forward playing D.

Tons of defensive breakdowns and turnovers in the 3rd period, it was ugly. The go ahead goal on a breakaway fed from a blatant hooking was frustrating, but Montreal wasted many great chances off Pens sloppy play in the minutes leading up to that so it wasn't surprising. Sid had a glorious opportunity to tie it with 5 minutes left but couldn't elevate the puck over the goalie who was already on his belly. The best player in the world should make that play. Disappointing home opener, but hey, my tickets were free.

In recent years I've expected more from this team and been disappointed. This year I'm going to stay disinterested until the playoffs (if they make it). I don't just confine my bandwagon jumping to baseball.:)

In recent years I've expected more from this team and been disappointed. This year I'm going to stay disinterested until the playoffs (if they make it). I don't just confine my bandwagon jumping to baseball.:)

They're not very good right now.

Reactions: fairgambit
They're not very good right now.
I have a friend who has had season tickets for the past 10 years or so and he's not happy. Hockey tickets seem outrageously priced to me, but then I guess that's true of most sporting events these days. With the Maz home run anniversary yesterday, I took a look at the price of a 1960 World Series ticket to Game 7. For a 1st Floor Reserved Seat it was $7.70 (tax included).:eek:

Reactions: Marshall30
I have a friend who has had season tickets for the past 10 years or so and he's not happy. Hockey tickets seem outrageously priced to me, but then I guess that's true of most sporting events these days. With the Maz home run anniversary yesterday, I took a look at the price of a 1960 World Series ticket to Game 7. For a 1st Floor Reserved Seat it was $7.70 (tax included).:eek:

All games used to be affordable, they aren't anymore. Pretty much the only thing you had to eat at baseball games were popcorn, hotdogs, chips and sodas.

All games used to be affordable, they aren't anymore. Pretty much the only thing you had to eat at baseball games were popcorn, hotdogs, chips and sodas.
Agreed, and it seems like the worst part of the price is the concessions. At one time you could eat & drink yourself full for what a beer now costs at most ballparks. I've said this before, but my Dad had 4 season tickets from 1958 into the early 80's. He was a small businessman and could not have afforded them at today's prices. Still, the Bucs had no problem drawing fans this year, so I guess the demand is still there.

Reactions: Marshall30
Agreed, and it seems like the worst part of the price is the concessions. At one time you could eat & drink yourself full for what a beer now costs at most ballparks. I've said this before, but my Dad had 4 season tickets from 1958 into the early 80's. He was a small businessman and could not have afforded them at today's prices. Still, the Bucs had no problem drawing fans this year, so I guess the demand is still there.

Forbes had steel grated flooring. I remember being there with my dad and brother in law Marie Torre she came to cover a game. With a skirt on, in the press box. Nothing left to the imagination.

Has hockey started?.]

ADVERTISEMENT