ADVERTISEMENT

I'm back in the U.S. The Penn State jacket got me through customs!

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
I flew home from Germany today. Eight hours from Frankfurt. It's always stressful going through customs since I am a shady character, what with the OUTRAGE. :eek: , the constant need for a latte or macchiato, and the Penn State-fueled culture problem from which I cannot escape. Well today, friends, being a Penn Stater got me home.

The approach I take with U.S. Customs is that of a customer in line for the Soup Nazi. The customs agent today was stern, eyed me, paged through my passport, and asked myriad questions about my job and trip overseas. Finally, he asked, "Did you go to Penn State?" Not sure how to answer given the culture problem, I considered the options and ultimately figured I should not lie to him, so I said "Yes, I did." He smiled, yes smiled, and said, "That's a very good school," and he handed me my passport and sent me on my way.

Whew! That was close! For the first time in years, being a Penn Stater worked to my advantage. Of course, next time I may not be so lucky.

:confused:

Last edited:
Just went thru customs myself. They said that's all you bought 2 tee shirts. I said yup, they said good, welcome home

When I first moved to Texas in the late 80's and told people I went to Penn State many of them responed, "Wow... you must be really smart". Having earned my BS in Engineering and never having affected a grading curve in my collegiate career I simply smiled and felt good about myself... until I finally realized they all thought I went to U Penn.

When I first moved to Texas in the late 80's and told people I went to Penn State many of them responed, "Wow... you must be really smart". Having earned my BS in Engineering and never having affected a grading curve in my collegiate career I simply smiled and felt good about myself... until I finally realized they all thought I went to U Penn.
I experienced the same phenomena in LA in my first job at an aerospace company. They truly did not know the difference. I blame JoePa!

I flew home from Germany today. Eight hours from Frankfurt. It's always stressful going through customs since I am a shady character, what with the OUTRAGE. :eek: , the constant need for a latte or macchiato, and the Penn State-fueled culture problem from which I cannot escape. Well today, friends, being a Penn Stater got me home.

The approach I take with U.S. Customs is that of a customer in line for the Soup Nazi. The customs agent today was stern, eyed me, paged through my passport, and asked myriad questions about my job and trip overseas. Finally, he asked, "Did you go to Penn State?" Not sure how to answer given the culture problem, I considered the options and ultimately figured I should not lie to him, so I said "Yes, I did." He smiled, yes smiled, and said, "That's a very good school," and he handed me my passport and sent me on my way.

Whew! That was close! For the first time in years, being a Penn Stater worked to my advantage. Of course, next time I may not be so lucky.

LOL...WTF... I just got this email google alert linking to your post

I'm back in the US The Penn State jacket got me through customs!
Flag as irrelevant

Reactions: wensilver

Damn Bob, never knew you were an elitist.........Machiatto?? I always just thought of you as crazy Uncle Bob. Who knew!!

In between fits of outrage your sipping frothy Machiattos?? It doesn't seem to fit the character. LOL

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT