ADVERTISEMENT

I'm applying to Law School as we speak....

Gonna' be a criminal defense lawyer:

Wake up.....for 4 days
Get dressed....for 4 days
Show up in the Courtroom....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

For everything else......there's Politics
You are right . It IS a good life

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

If G-Span is your client, sure. Most of the time you will get little johnny who is 14 and a stupid holy terror who only has one parent in the picture who makes next to nothing and pays you piecemeal after months of hounding, if at all.

Reactions: step.eng69
Get in line.

queue.jpg

And then get ready for the part of the profession you don't see.

Stressed+out_959_18499746_0_0_9206_300.jpg

stressed-businessman-working-late-in-office-picture-id500796801

Last edited:

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

Good, you can join my grandkid, Jobie, he's finishing his first year of law school at our university. I’m sure he & his class will be analyzing the elements of the Sandusky situation and trials next year.

Many years ago I attended law school for a day and a half. I stopped attending when I went in to the registrar's office to sign my loan check for one year, and fearing being THAT much in debt at such a young age (after graduating from State owing next to nothing) sent me in another direction. Very much enjoying my career path, but at times wish I wasn't so naive back then and went ahead with the pursuing that degree.

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

And I'm applying my Penn State education so I don't have to get on the wrong side of the law to make a living!

Why not become a professional golfer: Show up for four days, win tournament, cash $1.4 million check. Or a real estate agent: Go to open house from 1-4 on Sunday; bring chocolate chip cookies; sell house; make $10,000.

I'm no criminal defense lawyer (or fan thereof), but your thesis is absurd.

Why not become a professional golfer: Show up for four days, win tournament, cash $1.4 million check. Or a real estate agent: Go to open house from 1-4 on Sunday; bring chocolate chip cookies; sell house; make $10,000.

I'm no criminal defense lawyer (or fan thereof), but your thesis is absurd.
I'm no psychologist :) but your lack of a sense of humor is absurd :)

Many years ago I attended law school for a day and a half. I stopped attending when I went in to the registrar's office to sign my loan check for one year, and fearing being THAT much in debt at such a young age (after graduating from State owing next to nothing) sent me in another direction. Very much enjoying my career path, but at times wish I wasn't so naive back then and went ahead with the pursuing that degree.

And I wish I wasn't so naive back then and did not purse a law degree. I've been in the profession for over 40 years and it is not what I envisioned four decades ago. I did not go into the law for the money. I was idealistic and self confident. I was going to be a great litigator, advocating for the innocent and oppressed, and then finish my career as a wise and respected judge. Sadly for me, none of that happened. I've had my share of success, and most would consider me a respected member of my community, but I look back on the totality of my legal career and find it to have been generally unrewarding. So be it. While maintaining my law practice, I am now moving on to other things. In doing so, I have already seen my satisfaction level grow. I should have taken the leap sooner, but I am cautious by nature and so I waited. We'll see how it all turns out.

And I wish I wasn't so naive back then and did not purse a law degree. I've been in the profession for over 40 years and it is not what I envisioned four decades ago. I did not go into the law for the money. I was idealistic and self confident. I was going to be a great litigator, advocating for the innocent and oppressed, and then finish my career as a wise and respected judge. Sadly for me, none of that happened. I've had my share of success, and most would consider me a respected member of my community, but I look back on the totality of my legal career and find it to have been generally unrewarding. So be it. While maintaining my law practice, I am now moving on to other things. In doing so, I have already seen my satisfaction level grow. I should have taken the leap sooner, but I am cautious by nature and so I waited. We'll see how it all turns out.
I think many of us in many different careers share your experience. If we had to do it over.....

Reactions: fairgambit
Keep us in the loop.

Let us know if the Gigolo profession is as glamorous as it looks from the outside :)

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

Well i agree that you missed your calling. However out of 50 professions i haven't a clue which one fits you best.

Believe me, I'm sure you've made more of a difference than you know.

I don't think I would want to practice law...just wouldn't mind having the degree. I work primarily with special needs kids, and legal issues work their way into what we do much more frequently than one would imagine. It'd be nice to go into an IEP meeting and have the background to be able to call bullshit to one of the many snake oil salesmen "advocating" for some families (apologies, but imo special ed attorneys are little more than latter-day ambulance chasers).

Believe me, I'm sure you've made more of a difference than you know.

I don't think I would want to practice law...just wouldn't mind having the degree. I work primarily with special needs kids, and legal issues work their way into what we do much more frequently than one would imagine. It'd be nice to go into an IEP meeting and have the background to be able to call bullshit to one of the many snake oil salesmen "advocating" for some families (apologies, but imo special ed attorneys are little more than latter-day ambulance chasers).
Thanks for that.
You are right. Many get a law degree and use it, often very successfully, in other careers.

Just think back to the number of problems you have solved for people. Making a difference for others is what it is about. If you have done that and made a living as a result you have been more successful than perhaps you know.

Just think back to the number of problems you have solved for people. Making a difference for others is what it is about. If you have done that and made a living as a result you have been more successful than perhaps you know.
Thank you. I do think I have made a difference, but it just somehow doesn't seem like enough. Perhaps my thoughts are just the musings of a man entering the late fall of his life who thinks he could have accomplished a lot more. That's why I have recently posted about taking time to purse dreams that are slowly fading. Well, the Good Lord willing, I still have some time left, although my odds of a Supreme Court nomination are just about shot.:(

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

Don't forget the CSA victims. You could defend their interests and get PSU/IRA to compensate them for pain and suffering

Thank you. I do think I have made a difference, but it just somehow doesn't seem like enough. Perhaps my thoughts are just the musings of a man entering the late fall of his life who thinks he could have accomplished a lot more. That's why I have recently posted about taking time to purse dreams that are slowly fading. Well, the Good Lord willing, I still have some time left, although my odds of a Supreme Court nomination are just about shot.:(

Nobody goes through life's rodeo without thinking they could have done more. Be happy you did not do less.

The problem with being in a self employed profession such as a lawyer is that few clients say thanks for doing a good job for me. A professional practitioner will get plenty of negative feedback and complaints but not nearly enough positive feedback.
Something we should all consider is a simple hand written note or even just an email to say thanks for a good job and doing the best you could do for me. Lawyer, doctor, contractor, accountant, etc., all of them deserve a thank you because a paycheck is not always enough of a reward.

You never know ... we may have several openings in the next few years, and a president that may make choices semi-randomly

Funny this thread is hear - literally just yesterday, I put in my security deposit at Penn State Dickinson! Was very generously offered a full tuition waiver with an additional $15k living stipend throughout my 3 years. Very impressed by the dean and faculty, and felt that their location sets me up better in various legal markets. I had to turn down a full at Penn State Law, which was painful -- turning down an opportunity to be back in State College always hurts, but I feel it was the better move for my proessional goals.

Reactions: getmyjive11

Nice honest disclosure. Much appreciated. I always felt bad for lawyers - seemed like they swept up after the elephant show at the circus. Or, maybe a better metaphor was they were golden retrievers fetching p'pwork while their masters tossed deals and issues all over the place

Funny this thread is hear - literally just yesterday, I put in my security deposit at Penn State Dickinson! Was very generously offered a full tuition waiver with an additional $15k living stipend throughout my 3 years. Very impressed by the dean and faculty, and felt that their location sets me up better in various legal markets. I had to turn down a full at Penn State Law, which was painful -- turning down an opportunity to be back in State College always hurts, but I feel it was the better move for my proessional goals.

I think it's "here" not "hear" (1st sentence). First rule of law school, re-read your documents before submitting. Anyway, congrats. You must be smart to get those kind of offers.

Reactions: bjf1991

Wake up.....for 4 days

Cash seven-figure check.

PRICELESS!

We already have too many lawyers. Unless you finish in the top 10% of your graduating class, be prepared to struggle.

I think it's "here" not "hear" (1st sentence). First rule of law school, re-read your documents before submitting. Anyway, congrats. You must be smart to get those kind of offers.
Ehhh, nothing compared to the brains here, so I hear. How was my grammar in that one? ;-)

I would recommend that you convey to younger attorneys what you know about business in general as well as the legal profession. There's 2.5 million extra attorneys in the country, yet no one ever tells law school students what they will need to do, namely hustle and create their own opportunities.

Unbelievably, some young attorneys have actually attended Rutgers (perhaps the biggest hurdle one can encounter imho, ;)). Provide twice the advice to those poor souls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT