ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois reporter: PSU trip loses some luster

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
ng_logo_black.png

Asmussen: Trip loses some luster
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 9:17pm | Bob Asmussen (@BobAsmussen)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — I used to love coming here. Of all the places to visit in the Big Ten, it was my favorite. By far.

And I didn’t even mind the drive, albeit a very, very long one. When Penn State accepted an invitation to join Jim Delany’s conference, I knew a trip to Beaver Stadium was in my future.

The first time was in 1998. Stopped in Cleveland to see former News-Gazette staffer Dave Campbell.

Loren Tate made the trip with me. When we passed Columbus, Ohio, Loren said, “This is the longest I have ever been in a car.” Wasn’t sure whether to cry or congratulate him.

I made later trips to Penn State with Brian Dietz, Jeff Huth, Marcus Jackson and now, Matt Daniels.

For years, late Penn State coach Joe Paterno hosted a Friday night gathering for visiting media. It was old-school and cool.

I skipped the first one, but when I traveled with Dietz in 2000, we knew there wouldn’t be many more chances, so we came to the Nittany Lion Inn.

Paterno was great. Telling stories. He talked about how the school moved Beaver Stadium to its current location, and he said to then-head coach Rip Engle, “This will be the death of Penn State football.” Not so much.

I couldn’t stop asking him questions. Finally, he told me to chill. In a nice way. It was a night I will always remember.

Smile for the camera

There were other encounters with Paterno. Like the year we dedicated our season preview to “Why I love college football.”

At the Big Ten media kickoff, against the league’s wishes, we set up posed photos of all the conference coaches. John L. Smith raised a Michigan State foam finger, Jim Tressel put a Buckeyes sticker on a helmet and late Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner wore a T-shirt that read, “I ‘heart’ College Football.”

We had a genius idea for Paterno: kiss a football. He politely refused, saying “I don’t do cornball.” So he held a football instead. Pretty sure that section won a national prize.

In 2011, I made my last trip to State College until this one. For what turned out to be Paterno’s last game as coach.

In a snowstorm, the Nittany Lions edged Illinois 10-7. Snowballs were flying at Derek Dimke’s feet as he tried a tying field goal late in the game.

Paterno picked up his 409th win, the most in Division I history.

Saying goodbye

Jackson and I stayed at Beaver Stadium long after Paterno celebrated the victory. In the snow and cold, I did a video near the Paterno statue. Not sure what I said, but it was all moot a day or two later, when news of the Jerry Sandusky sexual-abuse scandal broke.

Soon, Paterno was out as coach. On Jan. 22, 2012, at age 85, Paterno died in State College.

The school has tried to move past the scandal. Paterno was three coaches ago, replaced at first by Bill O’Brien and then current head coach James Franklin.

The initial four-year postseason ban was cut in half, and the scholarship limits were wiped out early, too.

This week, I made my first trip back to State College since the scandal.

There wasn’t the same anticipatory joy as in the past. There are places I like to visit at Penn State. Like the Creamery. The ice cream cone was huge as usual. And melted as usual. But it wasn’t quite the same.

The drive by Paterno’s old house at 830 McKee St. was sad. There is somebody living there, but we know it isn’t the coach. His willingness to have his phone number listed always seemed like a very Paterno-y thing to do. Try to find Urban Meyer’s phone number in the Columbus phone book. Or Nick Saban’s in Tuscaloosa.

Paterno is gone, and his legacy outside of State College is murky at best. I have no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead. Or wear white socks and black shoes. It was quaint before the scandal.

Even the Lion statue lacks its usual aura.

There was a line of students waiting to take their pictures at the shrine.

“May its beauty and power be a constant inspiration to all of us to be ever loyal to the highest ideals of Penn State,” said Penn State President Ralph Hetzel when the shrine was dedicated in 1942.

No way Hetzel knew what was coming 70 years later.

It blindsided all of us. Innocence was lost. And we can’t get it back. Unfortunate, but reality.

Illinois doesn’t have another game at Penn State on the schedule. Earliest the Illini can play again here is 2020. Wonder if the feelings will change in five years. Or ever.

Bob Asmussen is in his 27th year covering college football for The News-Gazette. http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...15-10-30/asmussen-trip-loses-some-luster.html @BobAsmussen

ng_logo_black.png

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — I used to love coming here. Of all the places to visit in the Big Ten, it was my favorite. By far.

And I didn’t even mind the drive, albeit a very, very long one. When Penn State accepted an invitation to join Jim Delany’s conference, I knew a trip to Beaver Stadium was in my future.

The first time was in 1998. Stopped in Cleveland to see former News-Gazette staffer Dave Campbell.

Loren Tate made the trip with me. When we passed Columbus, Ohio, Loren said, “This is the longest I have ever been in a car.” Wasn’t sure whether to cry or congratulate him.

I made later trips to Penn State with Brian Dietz, Jeff Huth, Marcus Jackson and now, Matt Daniels.

For years, late Penn State coach Joe Paterno hosted a Friday night gathering for visiting media. It was old-school and cool.

I skipped the first one, but when I traveled with Dietz in 2000, we knew there wouldn’t be many more chances, so we came to the Nittany Lion Inn.

Paterno was great. Telling stories. He talked about how the school moved Beaver Stadium to its current location, and he said to then-head coach Rip Engle, “This will be the death of Penn State football.” Not so much.

I couldn’t stop asking him questions. Finally, he told me to chill. In a nice way. It was a night I will always remember.

Smile for the camera

There were other encounters with Paterno. Like the year we dedicated our season preview to “Why I love college football.”

At the Big Ten media kickoff, against the league’s wishes, we set up posed photos of all the conference coaches. John L. Smith raised a Michigan State foam finger, Jim Tressel put a Buckeyes sticker on a helmet and late Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner wore a T-shirt that read, “I ‘heart’ College Football.”

We had a genius idea for Paterno: kiss a football. He politely refused, saying “I don’t do cornball.” So he held a football instead. Pretty sure that section won a national prize.

In 2011, I made my last trip to State College until this one. For what turned out to be Paterno’s last game as coach.

In a snowstorm, the Nittany Lions edged Illinois 10-7. Snowballs were flying at Derek Dimke’s feet as he tried a tying field goal late in the game.

Saying goodbye

Jackson and I stayed at Beaver Stadium long after Paterno celebrated the victory. In the snow and cold, I did a video near the Paterno statue. Not sure what I said, but it was all moot a day or two later, when news of the Jerry Sandusky sexual-abuse scandal broke.

Soon, Paterno was out as coach. On Jan. 22, 2012, at age 85, Paterno died in State College.

The school has tried to move past the scandal. Paterno was three coaches ago, replaced at first by Bill O’Brien and then current head coach James Franklin.

The initial four-year postseason ban was cut in half, and the scholarship limits were wiped out early, too.

There wasn’t the same anticipatory joy as in the past. There are places I like to visit at Penn State. Like the Creamery. The ice cream cone was huge as usual. And melted as usual. But it wasn’t quite the same.

The drive by Paterno’s old house at 830 McKee St. was sad. There is somebody living there, but we know it isn’t the coach. His willingness to have his phone number listed always seemed like a very Paterno-y thing to do. Try to find Urban Meyer’s phone number in the Columbus phone book. Or Nick Saban’s in Tuscaloosa.

Paterno is gone, and his legacy outside of State College is murky at best. I have no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead. Or wear white socks and black shoes. It was quaint before the scandal.

“May its beauty and power be a constant inspiration to all of us to be ever loyal to the highest ideals of Penn State,” said Penn State President Ralph Hetzel when the shrine was dedicated in 1942.

It blindsided all of us. Innocence was lost. And we can’t get it back. Unfortunate, but reality.

Illinois doesn’t have another game at Penn State on the schedule. Earliest the Illini can play again here is 2020. Wonder if the feelings will change in five years. Or ever.

Bob Asmussen is in his 27th year covering college football for The News-Gazette. http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...15-10-30/asmussen-trip-loses-some-luster.html @BobAsmussen

Well, he could always stay home. One less Midwestern reporter in Pennsylvania can't be a bad thing..........right? Maybe he can take Davey Jones back with him? ;)

Maybe we can Ryan Bagwell or Ray Blehar or JZ or damn near anyone with the knowledge to read and put 2 and 2 together some of the facts in this case. Then maybe he'd write a real story instead of a piece that essentially says nothing. Just another lazy scribe without a clue trying to act like he's above the people in Happy Valley.

I'd like to lock him in the bottom of the porta potty on university and park.

Reactions: 91Joe95
ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

Only a complete douche makes judgements about the a community, including the largest living or dead alumni base in America, based on intentional lies and a tyranny, a false narrative by those in a position of authority. Only a complete a$$hole with an agenda.

Oh crap, Chicago burned to the ground in a fire?! Better not ever go there!

I read the article three times to see if I skipped something. I thought the author was fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and perspective. Those of you who have read my posts know I am staunch in my support and defense of James Franklin. But, for me, at my age, Penn State Football has lost something that I have come to accept.....
At the Outback Bowl, like others, I made a point to attend the pep rally. It was a highlight to listen to Joe one more time. I recall setting in the lobby and watching Sue come in surrounded by grandchildren. I'm not English, but I thought, this is like getting a glimpse of royalty. I'm not some snot nosed kid, I was 60 years old. I do think it has a great deal to do with age and experience. Some of the emotions have to do with change that death brings in our daily life. I still enjoy eating lasagna, Chicken Parm, baked macaroni and cheese. If I am truthful, however, it doesn't taste as good as when my wife made it and sat down to share it with me.
It will be the younger generation that will experience and help create the new Penn State Football traditions. This is as it should be. James Franklin is the perfect guy to get the job done.

I think most missed the point of the whole article and would rather be angry. He's and outsider looking in. What you missed was his feelings, not yours. That PSU was a hallowed place with honor and a man who stood for it. Now with what took place and that man gone, it's kinda lost on him. That's pretty damn normal for anyone to feel that way. He didn't place blame anywhere. Stop being so jaded. Most people I know and have met know Joe had nothing to do with any of this and got screwed. Only the idiots on message boards feel differently than that.

I read the article three times to see if I skipped something. I thought the author was fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and perspective. Those of you who have read my posts know I am staunch in my support and defense of James Franklin. But, for me, at my age, Penn State Football has lost something that I have come to accept.....
At the Outback Bowl, like others, I made a point to attend the pep rally. It was a highlight to listen to Joe one more time. I recall setting in the lobby and watching Sue come in surrounded by grandchildren. I'm not English, but I thought, this is like getting a glimpse of royalty. I'm not some snot nosed kid, I was 60 years old. I do think it has a great deal to do with age and experience. Some of the emotions have to do with change that death brings in our daily life. I still enjoy eating lasagna, Chicken Parm, baked macaroni and cheese. If I am truthful, however, it doesn't taste as good as when my wife made it and sat down to share it with me.
It will be the younger generation that will experience and help create the new Penn State Football traditions. This is as it should be. James Franklin is the perfect guy to get the job done.
Good post Marshall.

Did you guys that are ripping on the author read the article? It seems quite spot on, and how a lot of people I know feel. It's definitely one of the reasons we only get 90k to games now, and tickets to games like today's are $10 each.

ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

The article reflects what I have perceived to be a middle of the road national perspective on the Sandusky Scandal. Our own BOT is almost entirely responsible for the negative narrative that echos across the country. Thanks to their actions, and lack thereof, a hundred years from now people will still think of Penn State as a place where a child abuser was protected, instead of viewing the Sandusky Scandal as the criminal actions of one deviant man.

To me, it is a pretty gutless article. First, Joe's wife lives at that address. He knows that but just made a stupid statement for effect. But the article certainly suggests that Joe was part of a conspiracy. And that's my beef with it. If he wants to say that the mystique of SC and the Beav have been tainted, check...I feel that way too.

I think most missed the point of the whole article and would rather be angry. He's and outsider looking in. What you missed was his feelings, not yours. That PSU was a hallowed place with honor and a man who stood for it. Now with what took place and that man gone, it's kinda lost on him. That's pretty damn normal for anyone to feel that way. He didn't place blame anywhere. Stop being so jaded. Most people I know and have met know Joe had nothing to do with any of this and got screwed. Only the idiots on message boards feel differently than that.

He does so presume PSU, Happy Valley and PSU guilty as charged by the clearly slanderous accusations of the NCAA and the false narrative fiction that their self-admitted ILLEGITIMATE actions and sanctions were based upon, the Fresh Fairytale. If any "culture problem" exists, it is the values and "culture" that this hack journalist prescribes to in his effort to further extend and entrench the UNETHICAL and UNRIGHTEOUS actions of the NCAA and the "false narrative" co-conspirators including elements and agencies of the Pennsylvania government, law enforcement establishment, the judiciary and regional media. Working to further unfair tyrannous, lies and massive injustices is neither being "fair" or remotely good journalistic work - quite the opposite in fact!

To me, it is a pretty gutless article. First, Joe's wife lives at that address. He knows that but just made a stupid statement for effect. But the article certainly suggests that Joe was part of a conspiracy. And that's my beef with it. If he wants to say that the mystique of SC and the Beav have been tainted, check...I feel that way too.

I get it. I also think that we will never live long enough to retaliate for every perceived insult. I didn't take the article apart. Sometimes when trying to convey emotions, one can push the line a little. After some of the things that have been written and said, I thought this was pretty benign and simply reflected nostalgia.

Well said. Having just applied to Medicare, I share your perspective.

Reactions: elvis63
ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

We have no one but Frazer, Peetz, Erickson and whomever else who piled in the clown car to thank for this..... They let the narrative be written and did absolutely NOTHING to refute it. Penn State, collectively and knowingly, harbored a pedophile......

As "industry titans" they should know it is all about the result, and that is a pretty $hitty result if you ask me.

ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

Wait a minute. I thought this would all be a far distant memory and long forgotten by 2014???

You mean the unaffiliated reporter who has no connections to Penn State and lives 3 states away hasn't forgotten by now? That can't be. Aunt Karen and Uncle Kenny told us this would not happen. :(

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

thanks for confirming because I thought I completely mis-read the article.
I thought it was a good piece.

ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

"Somebody" lives at Joe's old house. Huh?

Reactions: m48tank
Much of his feelings are ones I share. PSU let/helped the world change its view of something they should have been a point of pride not jealousy. It is because of PSU that I have not attended a PSU event since 2001. I watch on TV and keep track of things but I can't hand over any money to support something that turned its back on those who did nothing but attempt to promote and improve the university. I hate that I feel like this but I can't see anything that will change me at this point.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Hotshoe: I agree with what you say about it being his "outsider's perspective." But one paragraph of his article bothered me, viz:

"Paterno is gone, and his legacy outside of State College is murky at best. I have no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead. Or wear white socks and black shoes. It was quaint before the scandal."

While it IS arguably correct to say that Joe's legacy outside of State College is "murky at best," the author goes on to say that he has no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead, and opines that wearing white socks and black shoes was "quaint before the scandal." To me, that suggests he has swallowed the false narrative.hook line and sinker.

Maybe we can Ryan Bagwell or Ray Blehar or JZ or damn near anyone with the knowledge to read and put 2 and 2 together some of the facts in this case. Then maybe he'd write a real story instead of a piece that essentially says nothing. Just another lazy scribe without a clue trying to act like he's above the people in Happy Valley.
Good lord. The article was really quite diplomatic. He didn't project any guilt on Paterno, but rather emphasized (correctly) how sad the situation was/is and how empty State College feels with Joe and his positive legacy. Get a life, and learn to read and think.

Hotshoe: I agree with what you say about it being his "outsider's perspective." But one paragraph of his article bothered me, viz:

"Paterno is gone, and his legacy outside of State College is murky at best. I have no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead. Or wear white socks and black shoes. It was quaint before the scandal."

While it IS arguably correct to say that Joe's legacy outside of State College is "murky at best," the author goes on to say that he has no desire to buy a JoePa bobblehead, and opines that wearing white socks and black shoes was "quaint before the scandal." To me, that suggests he has swallowed the false narrative.hook line and sinker.
Yes, but the point is that is sad and makes him sad. Nowhere does he accuse Joe if anything. Do any of you guys know how to read and think critically?

I really do miss Joe, Fran Fisher, and George Paterno. Game day will never be the same to me after those losses. I still love those plain uniforms and Beaver Stadium though, so I guess I'm an addict. If it weren't for PSU football, I wouldn't give a ratz azz about college football.

Why would anyone put stock in this turds inane assertions?
Ok, let's try it this way. His audience is a bunch of non-PSU fans from Illinois. He could write an article about Joe being a pedophile enabler and devil worshiper who placed wins above the welfare of children, and none of his readers would question it. He didn't do that, which should tell you something. Instead he said some nice things about Joe and implied how different State College now feels. The only inne assertions here are yours. How imperceptive can you possibly be?

ng_logo_black.png

Smile for the camera

Saying goodbye

This is a good article. I feel the same way.

I feel the same way every time I come to a game...it is not the same.

Has nothing to do with what happened, but due to Joe being gone.
May never feel the same way on game day...used to watch him get off the bus for each game.

This midwestern hick is better served staying in Illinois with the rest of his inbred friends. We don't need him in PA

Yes, but the point is that is sad and makes him sad. Nowhere does he accuse Joe if anything. Do any of you guys know how to read and think critically?
Good thing we have someone omniscient like you to tell us what this guy's writing means. What kind of "critical thinking" is involved when you submit posts generally insulting the rest of the people posting here?

Allow me to point out that some of the statements this writer makes are ambiguous (at least in terms of indicating whether the writer believes Joe was culpable), and can be interpreted either positively or negatively. I trust you are capable of thinking critically enough to process that statement.

Reactions: m48tank
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT