ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois post-mortem....before looking ahead to NW

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
In a broad view……I think we saw on Saturday the FIRST glimpse of what we all (including the coaching staff) hoped this offense would become.

As mentioned after the Temple game – despite some obvious talent/maturity/experience issues – the #1 issue impeding this offense was an “above the neck” issue……confidence. It has been a “baby steps” approach through the first 2 months.

The running game – the entirety of which would have fit on a post-it-note back in September, is finally broadening. From a run gameplan which consisted of “inside zone”, and “inside zone with jet-sweep action”…we have seen an expansion to include outside zone, outside sweep with pulling off-side linemen, and the use of two-back wildcat sprinkled in. (I would like to see more inside traps, and off-tackle traps for NW, but more talk about that with a NW preview later) We have even seen some overload jumbo packages in short yardage. It is not the full deal just yet, but it is getting close.

From a passing gameplan that was “12 flanker screens….and an occasional chuck it and hope throw downfield”….we have, for the first time, seen a diverse passing attack…..tailback screens, intermediate routes, combo-routes downfield etc.

The offensive staff is now able to (or willing to) playcall to try to beat the other team, rather than try to find a way to not be completely FUBARed…..Calling for the occasional downfield throw – then closing their eyes in anticipation of Hackenberg being clobbered as he tries to read the defense and deliver the pass.

Looking back at Illinois…..both sides of the ball executed the key items:

1 – Hackenberg got off quickly. Solid protection against a base Illinois defense. Reading the open man and delivering the ball on-time, on-target.

2 – Staying patient with the run game….didn’t get any “huge” plays, but were able to run the ball effectively enough/often enough to avoid becoming one dimensional

3 – Defensively, used a lot of early blitzes to speed up Lunt – and got the desired results, a lot of less-than-accurate deliveries (and, eventually even got a few sacks)

4 – The LBers and Safeties were EXCELLENT on coverage (especially Allen, who heretofore was not really considered a cover guy as much as he is a run support guy…..great game by Allen)

A condensed version of the Illinois Preview that was posted last week:

Illinois is unlike any team we have played thus far.

ILLINOIS OFFENSIVELY:

They are a dink-and-dunk offense (they throw the ball 60% of the time)

Their QB is a typical B12 type....sit back in the shotgun and distribute out of the short passing game.

He is NOT a runner....but he IS pretty efficient at getting the ball out quick, and is tough to sack due to the quick releases...and doesn't force a lot of balls downfield

They do not have any "scary" wideouts....Geronimo "Chief" Allison, #8, is their most dangerous threat - and he isn't "all that". #86 is a big physical guy (kinda built like Allen Robinson)....and they do push they ball downfield to him on occasion.

Lunt (the QB) can be effective when given time. He can be very frustrating (ala the traditional Northwestern QBs over the years)....in that the pass rush guys can get frustrated trying to get to him before he delivers the ball.

Over the years, PSU has approached these types of teams by rushing 4, dropping 7 (or sometimes 8).

I would hope PSU DOES NOT employ this same scheme on Saturday.

What I WOULD hope PSU does on defense:

Play a lot of nickel (probably subbing out Reeder) to get more speed on the field.

Blitz a lot - not with the expectation of getting a lot of sacks, but to make Lunt hurry and get uncomfortable in the pocket (he looses accuracy when hurried. For a guy who dinks and dunks, his completion percentage is a fairly pedestrian "high 50s")

I would like to see the PSU D be aggressive early, and not let Lunt get comfortable, and not let Illinois control the TOP. I think our athleticism in the back 7 matches up well enough that we can play a lot of man, without worrying too much about being beaten one-on-one.

ILLINOIS DEFENSIVELY:

I would NOT expect Illinois to be nearly as uber-aggressive as Maryland was.

Illinois is a "crappy" pass rush team. #91 is a decent edge rusher from the DE spot.....but no one else on the team is much of a threat

We SHOULD (even with our OL troubles) be able to give Hackenberg time. If we get the "normal" Illinois defense, Hackenberg has to be accurate early, and take advantage of his opportunities to set up and deliver the ball downfield....the Illinois secondary likes to play zone, and keep the ball in front of them. Overall.....assuming we do get decent pass protection....Hackenberg's early accuracy and decision making will be key. AND WE HAVE TO CONVERT SOME THIRD DOWNS to prevent Illinois from winning the early TOP and Field Position battle. Stick with the running to some degree, even if we don't have a lot of success early....and as the game goes along look for big plays downfield off of first down and "run down" play action.

The Illinois defense plays more aggressively against the run. I wouldn't be surprised if their attacking run defense style makes our run game look bad at times.....but if so, we can't completely abandon it, because we should eventually be able to catch some seams and get some nice gainers.

PSU should win this one. The thing I will be watching most closely..........time of possession and field position over the first 20 minutes of the game. If we are winning or even on those measures through 20 minutes, PSU could pull out to a fairly comfortable margin in the second half.

For IU to win, I think they need to win those battles early. If they do, it could be a rather ugly game.....and IU could very well be in position to wear down and frustrate our defensive front over 60 minutes.

Key men for PSU:

Hackenberg on offense

and

The LBers and Safeties in pass coverage on defense.

In a broad view……I think we saw on Saturday the FIRST glimpse of what we all (including the coaching staff) hoped this offense would become.

As mentioned after the Temple game – despite some obvious talent/maturity/experience issues – the #1 issue impeding this offense was an “above the neck” issue……confidence. It has been a “baby steps” approach through the first 2 months.

The running game – the entirety of which would have fit on a post-it-note back in September, is finally broadening. From a run gameplan which consisted of “inside zone”, and “inside zone with jet-sweep action”…we have seen an expansion to include outside zone, outside sweep with pulling off-side linemen, and the use of two-back wildcat sprinkled in. (I would like to see more inside traps, and off-tackle traps for NW, but more talk about that with a NW preview later) We have even seen some overload jumbo packages in short yardage. It is not the full deal just yet, but it is getting close.

From a passing gameplan that was “12 flanker screens….and an occasional chuck it and hope throw downfield”….we have, for the first time, seen a diverse passing attack…..tailback screens, intermediate routes, combo-routes downfield etc.

The offensive staff is now able to (or willing to) playcall to try to beat the other team, rather than try to find a way to not be completely FUBARed…..Calling for the occasional downfield throw – then closing their eyes in anticipation of Hackenberg being clobbered as he tries to read the defense and deliver the pass.

Looking back at Illinois…..both sides of the ball executed the key items:

1 – Hackenberg got off quickly. Solid protection against a base Illinois defense. Reading the open man and delivering the ball on-time, on-target.

2 – Staying patient with the run game….didn’t get any “huge” plays, but were able to run the ball effectively enough/often enough to avoid becoming one dimensional

3 – Defensively, used a lot of early blitzes to speed up Lunt – and got the desired results, a lot of less-than-accurate deliveries (and, eventually even got a few sacks)

4 – The LBers and Safeties were EXCELLENT on coverage (especially Allen, who heretofore was not really considered a cover guy as much as he is a run support guy…..great game by Allen)

A condensed version of the Illinois Preview that was posted last week:

Illinois is unlike any team we have played thus far.

ILLINOIS OFFENSIVELY:

They are a dink-and-dunk offense (they throw the ball 60% of the time)

Their QB is a typical B12 type....sit back in the shotgun and distribute out of the short passing game.

He is NOT a runner....but he IS pretty efficient at getting the ball out quick, and is tough to sack due to the quick releases...and doesn't force a lot of balls downfield

They do not have any "scary" wideouts....Geronimo "Chief" Allison, #8, is their most dangerous threat - and he isn't "all that". #86 is a big physical guy (kinda built like Allen Robinson)....and they do push they ball downfield to him on occasion.

Lunt (the QB) can be effective when given time. He can be very frustrating (ala the traditional Northwestern QBs over the years)....in that the pass rush guys can get frustrated trying to get to him before he delivers the ball.

Over the years, PSU has approached these types of teams by rushing 4, dropping 7 (or sometimes 8).

I would hope PSU DOES NOT employ this same scheme on Saturday.

What I WOULD hope PSU does on defense:

Play a lot of nickel (probably subbing out Reeder) to get more speed on the field.

Blitz a lot - not with the expectation of getting a lot of sacks, but to make Lunt hurry and get uncomfortable in the pocket (he looses accuracy when hurried. For a guy who dinks and dunks, his completion percentage is a fairly pedestrian "high 50s")

I would like to see the PSU D be aggressive early, and not let Lunt get comfortable, and not let Illinois control the TOP. I think our athleticism in the back 7 matches up well enough that we can play a lot of man, without worrying too much about being beaten one-on-one.

ILLINOIS DEFENSIVELY:

I would NOT expect Illinois to be nearly as uber-aggressive as Maryland was.

Illinois is a "crappy" pass rush team. #91 is a decent edge rusher from the DE spot.....but no one else on the team is much of a threat

We SHOULD (even with our OL troubles) be able to give Hackenberg time. If we get the "normal" Illinois defense, Hackenberg has to be accurate early, and take advantage of his opportunities to set up and deliver the ball downfield....the Illinois secondary likes to play zone, and keep the ball in front of them. Overall.....assuming we do get decent pass protection....Hackenberg's early accuracy and decision making will be key. AND WE HAVE TO CONVERT SOME THIRD DOWNS to prevent Illinois from winning the early TOP and Field Position battle. Stick with the running to some degree, even if we don't have a lot of success early....and as the game goes along look for big plays downfield off of first down and "run down" play action.

The Illinois defense plays more aggressively against the run. I wouldn't be surprised if their attacking run defense style makes our run game look bad at times.....but if so, we can't completely abandon it, because we should eventually be able to catch some seams and get some nice gainers.

PSU should win this one. The thing I will be watching most closely..........time of possession and field position over the first 20 minutes of the game. If we are winning or even on those measures through 20 minutes, PSU could pull out to a fairly comfortable margin in the second half.

For IU to win, I think they need to win those battles early. If they do, it could be a rather ugly game.....and IU could very well be in position to wear down and frustrate our defensive front over 60 minutes.

Key men for PSU:

Hackenberg on offense

and

The LBers and Safeties in pass coverage on defense.

and the use of two-back wildcat sprinkled in.

The old wildcat didn't look too bad with Mr. Barkley running it. They could expand it in variety and scope for certain game situations. Fellow posters mentioned that Mr. Barkley can throw a little. Nice.

My biggest question from this game is "where is OUR OL and what did these guys do with them"?

My biggest question from this game is "where is OUR OL and what did these guys do with them"?
It wasn't some miracle transformation.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing of a bad thing.....but I think the truth is that:

1 - There have been baby steps of progress all season
2 - Laurent is a solid addition
3 - The Illinois defense was a scheme that was a little easier for this group to handle
4 - Illinois did not play their best game.
5 - The TOTAL TEAM effort helped to eliminate the field position and TOP issues that had been a problem in other games.
6 - Mahon was probably a bit of an upgrade over a "less than 100% Nelson" (wouldn't have been - IMO - over a "full Nelson" - pun intended)

All that said....because this wasn't some miraculous transformation, there are still issues on the offensive line......but things are moving in the right direction.

Defensively, this group will be able to handle anyone who runs the normal pro-style offense that we've seen Illinois or Indiana run. But if we face a team with a dual-threat QB (Barrett, Hills), we're still in trouble. Any back or QB that can get to the edge exploits our still lack of speed at the linebacker position. Northwestern has been known for a running QB the last few seasons. Unlike Barrett and Hills, I don't think he's a very good passer.

Reactions: mn78psu83
NW passing against P5 teams:

83-171 (a bit under 49%) for 758 yards (126 yards per game, 4.5 yards per pass)
FWIW, those numbers are HORRIBLE

Thorson 53 Carries for 245 yards.....and that includes a 68 yard run against UNL (which - we know - is not a D1 defense)

Jackson, the top TB, got off to a nice start....but the last three weeks has a 36 carry 95 yard total (for the three weeks) and hasn't had a run over 15 yards during that time.

Their leading receiver - by far - is their FB/HB (the guy who KILLED us last year)
In B1G games, their top receiver has 7 catches for 69 yards - TOTAL - over 4 games.

This has not been a good offense.....they would be envious of the offensive numbers we put up PRIOR to the Maryland and Illinois games.

NW passing against P5 teams:

83-171 (a bit under 49%) for 758 yards (126 yards per game, 4.5 yards per pass)
FWIW, those numbers are HORRIBLE

Thorson 53 Carries for 245 yards.....and that includes a 68 yard run against UNL (which - we know - is not a D1 defense)

Jackson, the top TB, got off to a nice start....but the last three weeks has a 36 carry 95 yard total (for the three weeks) and hasn't had a run over 15 yards during that time.

Their leading receiver - by far - is their FB/HB (the guy who KILLED us last year)
In B1G games, their top receiver has 7 catches for 69 yards - TOTAL - over 4 games.

This has not been a good offense.....they would be envious of the offensive numbers we put up PRIOR to the Maryland and Illinois games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT