ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois gives Lovie a 2 yr extension good thru 2023? good god that makes no sense

Jo Man

Jun 9, 2006
college coaching is a good gig if you can get in the door because results don't matter if you have a brand name from either the NFL or perhaps NCAA from 10 years ago.

Lovie's team got smacked by:
24-63 against PSU in which I think Kent state put up more of a fight and happened to beat Illinois
46-7 loss to Purdue
63-0 by Iowa
lost by 30 to Maryland

the president said something like I would like to applaud coach Smith & his staff on the commitment & steady progress.

college coaching is a good gig if you can get in the door because results don't matter if you have a brand name from either the NFL or perhaps NCAA from 10 years ago.

24-63 against PSU in which I think Kent state put up more of a fight and happened to beat Illinois
46-7 loss to Purdue
63-0 by Iowa
lost by 30 to Maryland

the president said something like I would like to applaud coach Smith & his staff on the commitment & steady progress.
Unless it reduces next years buyout

well, UNC just hired Mack Brown so......

Seriously, when you fire a coach you'd better have someone better in mind. ILL has been a complete mess for several years. In the last ten years, their best record was 7 wins (twice). In the last six years, they've averaged 3.33 wins per season. In their B1G games, 1.33 wins per season. Who are they going to hire, better than Lovie, to jump into that dumpster fire?

giphy.gif

46-7 loss to Purdue
63-0 by Iowa
lost by 30 to Maryland

I like Lovie Smith and think he's probably a really good person but wow his teams just have not been good I mean not even below avg. hard to understand or justify that extension.

Got to keep in mind he started with absolutely no players. This year's team -- the freshmen are Smith's first recruiting class. Extremely young team. And ... they were leading Penn State through three quarters.

It really takes 4 years to replenish the cupboard. I'm in no position to evaluate the job he's done -- only a two year extention is not exactly a huge vote of confidence. But I do know that building a program from dust takes quite a while.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
Saw a chart somewhere that said Illinois was like No. 4 in the NCAA in improved points per possession. FWIW

46-7 loss to Purdue
63-0 by Iowa
lost by 30 to Maryland

Jo Man crying about another team now??

I don’t think the new contract buyout terms have been released. I believe if he was fired now it would be $12M, if he was fired after this coming spring it would be $8M.

(I think he had 90 true freshmen and sophs this year.)

I don’t think the new contract buyout terms have been released. I believe if he was fired now it would be $12M, if he was fired after this coming spring it would be $8M.

(I think he had 90 true freshmen and sophs this year.)

How can you have 90 true freshman and Sophs on a team with an 85 man roster limit?

Reactions: stormingnorm

46-7 loss to Purdue
63-0 by Iowa
lost by 30 to Maryland

A good move to help solidify recruting more young talent. Illinois was THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE BIG 10. Yrs 4-5 will have to show great improvement and I think it will.

Got to keep in mind he started with absolutely no players. This year's team -- the freshmen are Smith's first recruiting class. Extremely young team. And ... they were leading Penn State through three quarters.

It really takes 4 years to replenish the cupboard. I'm in no position to evaluate the job he's done -- only a two year extention is not exactly a huge vote of confidence. But I do know that building a program from dust takes quite a while.
Well, they held the lead for exactly 2 minutes in the game, and it was from 10:36 to 8:36 of the 3rd quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT