ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Game

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So, just for the sake of discussion, let’s say Clifford can make it back in 3 weeks vs tOSU. With a bye week upcoming, can we beat 2-5 Illinois with Roberson if he gets two weeks of preparation and full-time first string snaps? What do we think?

Last edited:
So, just for the sake of discussion, let’s say Clifford can make it back in 3 weeks vs tOSU. With a bye week upcoming, can we beat 2-5 Illinois with Roberson if he gets two weeks of preparation and flu-time first string snaps? What do we think?

I don’t think the flu will help matters. 😁

Yes, I think we could put a cheerleader at QB and beat Illinois.. They are pitiful and had 94 yards yesterday.

So, just for the sake of discussion, let’s say Clifford can make it back in 3 weeks vs tOSU. With a bye week upcoming, can we beat 2-5 Illinois with Roberson if he gets two weeks of preparation and full-time first string snaps? What do we think?
Yes, if in the two week TR's passing accuracy can be fixed. If we cannot pass, this will be a very uncomfortable game. Everyone has essentially slowed/stopped our RB run game, and now we appear to have lost several RBs. Not confident TR can win this game unless a dramatic improvement occurs in his passing skills. Miracles do occur.

• Haha
Reactions: bdgan and Lion8286
Yes I think we get by but it won't be easy. Our D essentially shuts them down. Could be a shutout. Maybe we win 14-7. Painful to think about.

Yes, they’ll be able to design a game plan around what Roberson can do. That was not impressive, but he will certainly be much better with an offense suited to him that the whole team gets to practice for a couple weeks. They should be able to at least get the snap off…

Reactions: kickerinaz
Roberson will start Will not see Clifford unless urgently needed. Will keep
OSU guessing regarding game planning...

Or Yurcich comes up with a new way to use Roberson, which by default Illinois will have no tape to look at.
We might win that one pretty easily. Need Clifford for Ohio State, though. No way we go in there and have a chance with an inexperienced QB.

Hard for me to think of an injury that would pull Clifford out of such a huge game and then heal enough in 3 weeks for him to play against OSU. I agree things should look better with Roberson after the bye week, but that OSU game looks out of reach right now.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Whatever the pointspread is, bet the Illini. This will likely be a case of Franklin's team not rebounding well and under-performing coming off a straight up loss.

For the record, PSU is 3-18-2 against-the-spread coming off a straight up loss under CJF.

The defense could win it for us regardless. In fact, they will have to. No OL, no good running backs, and a bad QB does not bode well for that side of the ball.

Yes. PSU's defense will eat Illinois alive. Rest SC and hope he's back for the Bucks.

Don’t rule out the possibility of seeing Veilleaux. Only so many reps to go around in practice. Up until this week CV probably got very few and even those were probably with the 2’s or 3’s. With him being number 2 assuming Clifford is out the staff will be able to compare the two side on more level ground.

No way we go in there and have a chance with an inexperienced QB.
I absolutely agree but don’t forget Pat Devlin came off the bench to win in Columbus.

The staff will adjust game plans to Roberson’s strengths and we see a decent game against Illinois. I will be selfish and say that I hope that Clifford’s injury is not serious enough to keep him out for OSU.

I believe we'll be OK with Roberson against Illinois, especially if it's determined early on he'll be the starter. He'll have two weeks to get into a starters mindset and preparation.

I absolutely agree but don’t forget Pat Devlin came off the bench to win in Columbus.

The staff will adjust game plans to Roberson’s strengths and we see a decent game against Illinois. I will be selfish and say that I hope that Clifford’s injury is not serious enough to keep him out for OSU.
For a few plays? Seriously? That’s your point?

Some people thought Devlin should have been the starting QB ahead of Clark. Nobody thinks Roberson is better than Clifford. It's not similar.

Don’t rule out the possibility of seeing Veilleaux. Only so many reps to go around in practice. Up until this week CV probably got very few and even those were probably with the 2’s or 3’s. With him being number 2 assuming Clifford is out the staff will be able to compare the two side on more level ground.
I have ruled him out.

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow99
The defense could win it for us regardless. In fact, they will have to. No OL, no good running backs, and a bad QB does not bode well for that side of the ball.
No OL 🤣

For as much as many, including myself, would agree about run blocking, the pass blocking has shown immense improvement over previous years, even when the other team knows that PSU will pass...ironically for some reason (likely purposeful) the posts about a "terrible OL" neglect to distinguish between the performance in the run game versus the performance in pass protection.

You’re looking past this week’s opponent….bye bye bye. After all, bye is better than Iowa’s opponent this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT