ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be at Maryland game on 11/25

BrucePa

Sep 23, 2001
Going to 11
My first Penn State road game.

Questions....What is the tailgating situation at College Park? How many Penn Staters will be in attendance? What are the can't-miss events or sights?

I'm hoping this game cements a 10-2 season and a good New Years Day bowl....

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Hey Bruce, I'll be there too. Just checked the pre-sale parking site and it appears all lots are sold out, so should be a half decent crowd... My guess is 60/40 Penn State contingent.

As someone who has been to College Park and UMDs campus, what kind of sites are you interested it?

Yes there will be tailgating, but the students should be a little more subdued, half will be away for Thanksgiving.

Reactions: BrucePa

Questions....What is the tailgating situation at College Park? How many Penn Staters will be in attendance? What are the can't-miss events or sights?

You can get a prepaid parking pass at the Terrapin Trail Garage (TTG) for $17 at this site. They email you a bar-coded pass to present to the attendant when you get there (imagine that!!!).

This map shows the TTG near the top center.

It's maybe a 5-minute walk (or 10-minutes stroll) to the stadium. Sorry, but I don't know anything else about games at UMd, as this'll be my first, also.

Reactions: BrucePa and LionJim
You can get a prepaid parking pass at the Terrapin Trail Garage (TTG) for $17 at this site. They email you a bar-coded pass to present to the attendant when you get there (imagine that!!!).

It's maybe a 5-minute walk (or 10-minutes stroll) to the stadium. Sorry, but I don't know anything else about games at UMd, as this'll be my first, also.

Sorry, yes, that is the one lot available still on their website... I think they also do day of game parking and it isn't any more expensive than already listed. The issue with the garage is you can't use your grill to tailgate... not sure if that will be an issue to the OP.

My backup plan in the event of inclement weather was to tailgate in Looney's and walk over the footbridge to campus, although (knock on wood) the long range forecast for that day says high of 55 and sunny.... we'll see! WE ARE!

There are not a ton of can't miss sights in College Park. If you around all weekend, I'd recommend taking the metro into DC and checking out museums/restaurants/monuments, especially if you haven't been to DC recently (it's changed a lot in the last decade).

If you are sticking to College Park, a walk across campus (which you might have to do from where you park anyway) would be a good place to start.

Tailgating is meh and will probably be not great since it's the holiday weekend.

If you want bars to watch the early games, most of the bars are on Rt 1 just south of campus. I'm partial to Bentley's, but Loonies (as mentioned above) is closer to campus/the stadium. Cornerstone is also OK (near Bentleys).

There are not a ton of can't miss sights in College Park. If you around all weekend, I'd recommend taking the metro into DC and checking out museums/restaurants/monuments, especially if you haven't been to DC recently (it's changed a lot in the last decade).

If you are sticking to College Park, a walk across campus (which you might have to do from where you park anyway) would be a good place to start.

Tailgating is meh and will probably be not great since it's the holiday weekend.

If you want bars to watch the early games, most of the bars are on Rt 1 just south of campus. I'm partial to Bentley's, but Loonies (as mentioned above) is closer to campus/the stadium. Cornerstone is also OK (near Bentleys).
Not alot?? as far as I know Town Hall is still there!! (http://thedailyrecord.com/2016/07/15/town-hall-iconic-college-park-watering-hole-gets-new-owner/) next you'll tell me they closed the Starlight lounge!!

As of a few days ago there were still parking passes available for the Regents Drive Garage, which looks to be very convenient to the stadium – maybe a 5-minute walk.

Actually, it was kind of confusing because the website indicated that Regents is for Maryland season ticket holders. But I had no trouble reserving a spot and getting one of those bar-coded e-mail passes.

So I called their transportation office and was assured that if I received the bar-code pass, then I’m good to go. The guy said Regents was not just for season-ticket holders. For example, he said media parks there too.

I asked him what he thought the turnout on the Maryland side would be. He said it was hard to predict. The out-of-town kids won’t be around, but he thought there’d be a lot of interest from locals or near-locals.

I’m going with four other guys and am keeping my fingers crossed on the weather. I saw the same thing as someone else here mentioned: long-range forecast looking very good. Unfortunately, you can’t count on a forecast that far out.

ADVERTISEMENT