ADVERTISEMENT

If TB wins the Super Bowl, is Bruce Arians a coaching genius?

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
That Brady guy will sure be lucky if it turns out he got to play under 2 coaching geniuses. If TB loses it will be blamed on Brady's age.

Reactions: BlueLion
He’s a system QB....everyone’s known that for years....so Tampa Bay must have a great system too.

That Brady guy will sure be lucky if it turns out he got to play under 2 coaching geniuses. If TB loses it will be blamed on Brady's age. If TB wins the Super Bowl, is Bruce Arians a coaching genius?

He is if he is the one that signed Brady. From what I see it's all about Brady. Accurate throws. Great decisions that make the most of almost every play. Whoever made the call to sign Brady is the organizations MVP. i.e. right behind Brady. ;)

That Brady guy will sure be lucky if it turns out he got to play under 2 coaching geniuses. If TB loses it will be blamed on Brady's age.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
How did you get to be so incredibly hilarious?

He is if he is the one that signed Brady. From what I see it's all about Brady. Accurate throws. Great decisions that make the most of almost every play. Whoever made the call to sign Brady is the organizations MVP. i.e. right behind Brady. ;)

Lol ... accurate throws and bounce passes yesterday. Clearly. the Tampa Bay Defense carried the team yesterday. And the last I looked coach Ariens was the genius head coach of that group, too.

Last edited:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
How did you get to be so incredibly hilarious?
I learned from you...

If he wins the Super Bowl, he carries the FanBoy Football Coaching Genius Crown....until next year's genius is crowned. It is a similar designation to Miss America. Well, it could be up to a full calendar year, or until his team loses a game on a "questionable" decision. Alas, in the Fanboy world, nothing is forever......

Reactions: WDLion
It'll mean Belichick was riding Brady's coattails.
There will probably always be a debate about that, even if Belichick manages to make another Super Bowl. I'm in the Brady made Belichick camp, but it's just opinion. Belichick's a very good coach, but I don't know about genius. The thing I look at is there were 3 Super Bowls that NE lost, and those were all games where the defense was able to pressure Brady significantly. The 13-3 win over the Rams is probably the one win where Brady wasn't all that impressive.

No matter what happens in 2 weeks, what Brady has done at QB at 43 is pretty amazing. I expected this team to maybe get to the playoffs and win a game, at best. He definitely has not hurt his legacy.

Reactions: YorkLion
There will probably always be a debate about that, even if Belichick manages to make another Super Bowl. I'm in the Brady made Belichick camp, but it's just opinion. Belichick's a very good coach, but I don't know about genius. The thing I look at is there were 3 Super Bowls that NE lost, and those were all games where the defense was able to pressure Brady significantly. The 13-3 win over the Rams is probably the one win where Brady wasn't all that impressive.

No matter what happens in 2 weeks, what Brady has done at QB at 43 is pretty amazing. I expected this team to maybe get to the playoffs and win a game, at best. He definitely has not hurt his legacy.
If people really believe that Brady’s success was because of Belichick, then they have to believe that Montana was made because of Walsh....Walsh’s teams were good even without Montana and won a SB in the second season after he was gone.

Brady dragged a bunch of good players to Tampa that wouldn't be there. Their defense, as was KCs, was very good. GB had no answer for their pass rush. Having said that, Brady's "genius" was on display when they scored what ended up being the winning TD at the end of the first half. Most QBs would have locked onto the short route in order to get into FG range. Brady saw the play develop and dropped a dime to the TD that was the first nail in the GB coffin.

Reactions: YorkLion
Green Bay Oline lost that game, not sure I have seen Rodgers pressured like that in a long time. Bactiari being out at left Tackle might have been the difference between Green Bay in the Super Bowl or not.

That TD at the end of the half was the back breaker. No idea what that CB was thinking and what defense Green Bay was playing, but that is the type of play that gets the Dcoordinator fired.

Reactions: MacNit07
TB had some beautifully designed plays (some using Godwin). I'm sure Brady is involved in play design. Anyway they were doing a great job of selling a run look, baiting GB safeties and LBers to attack the LOS and then floating quick passes over them. Low risk and consistently productive. Both TB and KC offenses use a lot of deception and misdirection. These plays look so easy, you wonder why college teams don't do more of it, but it must not be as easy as it looks.

If people really believe that Brady’s success was because of Belichick, then they have to believe that Montana was made because of Walsh....Walsh’s teams were good even without Montana and won a SB in the second season after he was gone.
Wasn't that under George Seifert with Steve Young at QB? You could argue that Jerry Rice was the key piece there.

Reactions: acg116
I saw a stat that Tom Brady is 3-1 in playoff games when he throws 3(!) interceptions. It takes great coaching, great talent, and great defenses to win games in the playoffs. TB has contributed and benefited from all of those things.

Wasn't that under George Seifert with Steve Young at QB? You could argue that Jerry Rice was the key piece there.
You’re right, Seifert was the coach but Walsh built the system.

Let's see...
The Bucs are an 11-5 wildcard team
The Chiefs were 14-2 with a week 17 throw away game
I doubt the Bucs will be favored, even with the game being in Tampa
So If the underdog Bucs lose, it's because Brady is old?

Brady has lost plenty of super bowls throughout his career so what does that get blamed on?
A great QB on his best day may still lose to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Last edited:
Let's see...
The Bucs are an 11-5 wildcard team
The Cheifs were 14-2 with a week 17 throw away game
I doubt the Bucs will be favored, even with the game being in Tampa
So If the underdog Bucs lose, it's because Brady is old?

Brady has lost plenty of super bowls throughout his career so what does that get blamed on?
A great QB on his best day may still lose to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.
And let’s face it, at this given moment in time, Mahomes is probably the best QB in the league.

Brady had a strong case to be made for greatest QB of all-time. But many of those playoff wins and championships were more done by BB’s defense.

So BB has an equally strong case as the greatest coach of all-time.

and they were luck enough to have a HOF QB on the bench to replace Montana as well. It isn't as if they handed the keys over to Trent Dilfer and went on winning Super Bowls.
Or was it the system that made both the QB’s? That’s the point....it’s more likely the QB’s were made by the system in SF than Brady was made by the system in NE....because without Brady, the system in NE didn’t work very well.

Yep, Brady was a great quarterback at Michigan. He made Belichick everything he is today.....LOL
Sean Clifford has a higher QB rating than Brady did.....
6 quarterbacks were picked before Brady.....at least Bill was smart enough to pick him before "riding his coattails.

Or was it the system that made both the QB’s? That’s the point....it’s more likely the QB’s were made by the system in SF than Brady was made by the system in NE....because without Brady, the system in NE didn’t work very well.
Nice to have a Steve Young in his prime too plug into the system vs a well-past-his-prime Cam Newton. Seems to me a incredibly pedestrian Matt Cassel along with an aging Drew Bledsoe did ok in New England when they were called upon.

Last edited:
You're talking offensive system, but I'm thinking overall system. If Belichick was the greatest ever he should have had a number of assistants who took what they learned and replicated the success on some level in the NFL. Almost all of his assistants flamed out as head coaches. Bill O'Brien might have been the most successful. But he had a run as a college head coach first. I think the main thing most of Belichick's assistants lacked was Tom Brady to bail them out when things went wrong.

If you are what your record says you are, here's who Belichick is as a head coach without Tom Brady:
48-64 (includes first 5 seasons with Browns, 1 season in NE with Brady not starting, and this past season)

59-69 if you include the season when Brady went down early and Matt Cassell started..

Not exactly Hall of Fame material.

Reactions: AWS1022
Yep, Brady was a great quarterback at Michigan. He made Belichick everything he is today.....LOL
6 quarterbacks were picked before Brady.....at least Bill was smart enough to pick him before "riding his coattails.
Bill didn't find Brady. It was one of the scouts who recommended him. If you seriously were a coach I'd like to see your record.

Nice to have a Steve Young in his prime too mug into the system vs a well-past-his-prime Cam Newton. Seems to me a incredibly pedestrian Matt Cassel along with an aging Drew Bledsoe did ok in Nee England when they were called upon.
They did OK, but no playoffs for Cassel and Bledsoe did get them to the title game, but he had previously lost a Super Bowl and likely wasn't winning the SB had he played in it that year.

Brady was a very good QB at Michigan, but Drew Henson was a monster local recruit - Carr had no choice but to play him significantly even when Brady was obviously better.

Bill didn't find Brady. It was one of the scouts who recommended him. If you seriously were a coach I'd like to see your record.
I coached 12 seasons as a head coach and I had a mediocre 85-34-1 record. I won 4 conference championships during that time at a school that had never done so in its history. The first 3 seasons I think we were ....like 9-20 after that we finished around 76-14 when I retired from coaching to become the district athletic director. If you want to message me I'll give you some information where you can research my name and confirm that I don't say things that aren't true. How's that ass wipe?

PS this is stated with complete humility.....and with total respect to the more than 2 dozen ex coaches and athletic directors who post here and are much more successful than I ever could have imagined being. Just the facts.

Last edited:
So now, Brady not only is a lousy coach, who rode Brady to super bowl fame, but his scouts know more than he does.....LOL LOL LOL

Brady was a very good QB at Michigan, but Drew Henson was a monster local recruit - Carr had no choice but to play him significantly even when Brady was obviously better.
And you know for a fact that Brady was better and Henson played only because Carr "had no choice." LOL LOL LOL LOL

Nice to have a Steve Young in his prime too plug into the system vs a well-past-his-prime Cam Newton. Seems to me a incredibly pedestrian Matt Cassel along with an aging Drew Bledsoe did ok in New England when they were called upon.
Great coaches and great players go hand in hand. Brady was the mainstay along with BB who constantly juggled the roster and yet came away on top more often than not.
I don't know if there has been a better example than BB..."he can take his'n and beat your'n and he can take your'n and beat his'n."
But Bill didn't win this year....so naturally fanboy central is attacking. LOL

If it was the system, why didn’t he stick with Bledsoe when he came back from injury? I mean he had just signed a record contract. Apparently even Belichick had more faith in Brady than he did his own system.

They did OK, but no playoffs for Cassel and Bledsoe did get them to the title game, but he had previously lost a Super Bowl and likely wasn't winning the SB had he played in it that year.
Cassel-led team won 11 games...very unfortunate not to make playoffs.

Convenient to ignore that Pats defense won half of the Super Bowls that New England won.

Put Brady on the Detroit Lions and what would his record be? New England had great teams, with great personnel, that played wonderfully as a team. I think BB had a bit to do with that.

All that said, I agree Brady is a or the GOAT at QB.

But BB is as well in the coaching ranks.

Reactions: marshall23
If Bill was so smart, why didn’t he pick him sooner? If he realized how good he was, it’s a dangerous game to wait until the 6th round to pick him.

If it was the system, why didn’t he stick with Bledsoe when he came back from injury? I mean he had just signed a record contract. Apparently even Belichick had more faith in Brady than he did his own system.
BB played who he felt gave him the best chance to win (and he made those judgements at alarmingly accurate rates...hence his record).

Cassel-led team won 11 games...very unfortunate not to make playoffs.

Convenient to ignore that Pats defense won half of the Super Bowls that New England won.

Put Brady on the Detroit Lions and what would his record be? New England had great teams, with great personnel, that played wonderfully as a team. I think BB had a bit to do with that.

All that said, I agree Brady is a or the GOAT at QB.

But BB is as well in the coaching ranks.
Brady is a great QB. I don't see why anyone but a stupid fanboy would try to link this success with the need to diminish what New England has accomplished there....
Brady left NE and went to TB because of the talent they were accumulating there. He waited a long time to be a free agent, certainly paid his dues and I'm happy for him.
Forgive me for doubting that even with TB at NE they would have been a Super Bowl contender.

ADVERTISEMENT