ADVERTISEMENT

If Penn State want's to be in the class of Alabama, Clemson,

The fallacy of this post lies in the fact that it’s not about the school reputation for academics at all —PSU recruits the SAME kids that OSU Michigan MSU etc recruit. The real difference lies in the commitment to developing these kids and yes the aspirations for most of these athletes is to go on to the next level. The “elite” programs are committed to a head coach and related personnel that are focused on a winning program. Since when was it ok to settle for losing to your rival an inordinate number of times and or settling for a subpar record year in and year out? Other than NW in the B1G there are no real academic requirement differences that would exclude any elite 5 and 4 star athletes. And yes would love for someone to prove that the lives both personal and career wise are better by having gone to PSU UM etc than OSU etc.
Exactly. This can't be said enough... PSU and OSU recruit the SAME kids. Exhibit 1 is Fields. And there are many, many more.

OSU's team GPA is above 3.0. OSU has had 2 winners of the Campbell Trophy ("Academic Heisman) and had a finalist last year (Jordan Fuller), while PSU has won 1 (Urschel).

I'm not here to gloat but the thought that PSU is trying to "win with honor" while no one else is... that's just wrong.

Reactions: indoorgolf
Exactly. This can't be said enough... PSU and OSU recruit the SAME kids. Exhibit 1 is Fields. And there are many, many more.

OSU's team GPA is above 3.0. OSU has had 2 winners of the Campbell Trophy ("Academic Heisman) and had a finalist last year (Jordan Fuller), while PSU has won 1 (Urschel).

I'm not here to gloat but the thought that PSU is trying to "win with honor" while no one else is... that's just wrong.
This isn’t about grades. Every program cooks the academic books for their athletes. Where Penn State really lags behind the Bamas and the Clemsons and the tosu’s is the $$. Once the ncaa officially dies and everyone is allowed to pay their players, the playing field will level out.

Reactions: map-#1
This isn’t about grades. Every program cooks the academic books for their athletes. Where Penn State really lags behind the Bamas and the Clemsons and the tosu’s is the $$. Once the ncaa officially dies and everyone is allowed to pay their players, the playing field will level out.
Can you explain what you mean by "the $$"?

Can you explain what you mean by "the $$"?

He's probably thinking about players getting paid under the table. But I would guess that the OSU's and Bama's of the world spend a lot more legitimately, such as on coaching staff and facilities.

Frankly, I think PSU spends too much on its head coach. That salary should come with some pretty impressive results. One B1G title isn't worth 6+ million per year, at least not in my thinking.

Coaching salaries, even assistants, are getting like CEO pay, where compensation spirals up and out of control because the next guy got an increase, and the people giving the increases are doing it with someone else's money.

It's a corrupt system, all likely to come crashing down, soon.

It’s all very cyclical. Right now Clemson, Bama, and OSU are on another level compared to the rest of the country.

Twenty years ago it was Miami and Florida State

Ten years ago it was USC and Florida

We got beaten by an IU squad that probably didn’t have a single recruiting class ranked within 15 of any of ours.
I don’t care how much talent you have when your players don’t know the playbook, can’t execute and the sidelines are a confused mess.
Amen

Even if you completely omit the NFL draftees, do we know that Penn State student athletes tend to go on to live more a more successful life after football than the Bama, OSU, and Clemson players? Or do we just think that because it makes us feel good?
Well said

Franklin does it right he looks at them as student athletes and tries to set them up for life. I would put our program against anyone’s for being successful in life. We may not be a CFP contender every year but our guys go on to have success after football. We have always placed many of them in the NFL and it is known around the league that Penn State players are dedicated hard working players.
Utopian perspective here. You can’t really believe this.

So you don’t believe in success with honor? It’s truly a choice between national championships or caring about academics? I’d say that CJF is caring about things other than championships, and the program is consistently in the next tier behind Bama, Clemson, and tOSU. How many other programs care only about winning and yet are not in the elite status, or even behind Penn State in the pecking order?
That this thinking still exists out there boggles my mind.

Reactions: 22buck
Utopian perspective here. You can’t really believe this.
He doesn’t.
But it helps people sleep at night to think this. Dealing head on with the fact we’re more Utah and Auburn than Alabama, Ohio State, or even Georgia, lets people sleep better at night.

I’ve argued here that Penn State doesn’t want to be those programs. They’re more than happy just paying the bills with a top 20-ish team, and having a likable, strong mentor as the face of the program.
That’s ok, but then the current coach got into a shouting match with a kid in the stands as recently as 2018 over his play calls.
You all, he’s a phony. He’s happy and “golly gee wiz” when it’s going well, arrogant and insecure when it’s not. He’s just a guy. No more or less a mentor or coach than the average coach. If Penn State is ok with that, fine, but then that’s what it is.

It’s all very cyclical. Right now Clemson, Bama, and OSU are on another level compared to the rest of the country.

Twenty years ago it was Miami and Florida State

Ten years ago it was USC and Florida
I believe we will be consistently a good team and occasionally a great team but probably never elite. The gap was narrow back in 2010-2011 and then the sanctions hit and the loss of scholarships is still being felt. The loss of scholarships and OSU hiring Urban Meyer and his ability to attract talent widened the gap. The ascension of Clemson and the staying power of Alabama pretty much assures three of the four playoff spots. The fourth spot is always the wildcard, however to get there PSU will always have to go through OSU. Occasionally, they will do that but not consistently. I believe to say that we are more conscious about academics than other schools when we recruit is just something that makes us feel good and rationalize the situation. The players who come to PSU on scholarship are all looking at their future in the NFL. Let's not kid ourselves. We just have to be honest with ourselves that we will always be good/great but not elite and that's okay. After all, it still is just entertainment no matter if we like it or not. It makes us feel good when we win and terrible when we lose. However, we all still have to go to work on Monday and go on with our lives facing real issues. It is still just a game and win or lose we just have to deal with it.

I believe we will be consistently a good team and occasionally a great team but probably never elite. The gap was narrow back in 2010-2011 and then the sanctions hit and the loss of scholarships is still being felt. The loss of scholarships and OSU hiring Urban Meyer and his ability to attract talent widened the gap. The ascension of Clemson and the staying power of Alabama pretty much assures three of the four playoff spots. The fourth spot is always the wildcard, however to get there PSU will always have to go through OSU. Occasionally, they will do that but not consistently. I believe to say that we are more conscious about academics than other schools when we recruit is just something that makes us feel good and rationalize the situation. The players who come to PSU on scholarship are all looking at their future in the NFL. Let's not kid ourselves. We just have to be honest with ourselves that we will always be good/great but not elite and that's okay. After all, it still is just entertainment no matter if we like it or not. It makes us feel good when we win and terrible when we lose. However, we all still have to go to work on Monday and go on with our lives facing real issues. It is still just a game and win or lose we just have to deal with it.

Congratulations, you have successfully minimized your expectations.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
That’s ok, but then the current coach got into a shouting match with a kid in the stands as recently as 2018 over his play calls.
You all, he’s a phony. He’s happy and “golly gee wiz” when it’s going well, arrogant and insecure when it’s not. He’s just a guy. No more or less a mentor or coach than the average coach. If Penn State is ok with that, fine, but then that’s what it is.

a "phony" would not have won 11 games three times in four years. sorry, that is just absurd

He has the program where Paterno had it in the 1990s, which is frankly fine

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
I’ve argued here that Penn State doesn’t want to be those programs. They’re more than happy just paying the bills with a top 20-ish team, and having a likable, strong mentor as the face of the program.

And you'd be right based on a good number of the posters here. Others want more.

I like CJF but his record on the road vs ranked teams is horrible. Franklin is 1-7 vs ranked road teams at PSU, and 1-13 overall as a head coach against ranked road teams. His only win is @NW in 2017. Franklin is 11-10 on the road at PSU.
Franklin is 5-14 against Michigan/MSU/OSU while at PSU, 1-6 vs OSU

fields committed to PSU, seemed all-in for PSU, and then flipped to georgia. Then after a nonsensical RACISM. o_O claim in his first year at georgia, where he wasn’t playing, he transferred to Tosu without sitting out a year. Then we learned, before COVID. o_O , that he was only taking online classes at Tosu. He is a great player, a difference maker, but do you think PSU will ever get a player under these circumstances? We aren’t Harvard, but I just don’t see Penn State ever going to these lengths to get a talented player. We get him if he signs with us out of high school (straight-up process), but not with all the drama. We just don’t recruit this way.

Tim Tebow won what is now known as the Campbell Award (and Myron Rolle did not) so while it's an accomplishment, not sure that I'd hang my hat on it. As far as team GPA goes, it includes walk-ons (as it does at PSU), so if you wanna get out of the fruit-salad comparisons, let us know what the GPA of the recruited athletes is.

But since you came here to discuss academics, OSU's grad rate is about 25 percentage points lower than PSU's. Wanna 'splain that, Lucy? BTW, as a general matter I don't like these sorts of discussion, but you opened the door.

Tim Tebow won what is now known as the Campbell Award (and Myron Rolle did not) so while it's an accomplishment, not sure that I'd hang my hat on it. As far as team GPA goes, it includes walk-ons (as it does at PSU), so if you wanna get out of the fruit-salad comparisons, let us know what the GPA of the recruited athletes is.

But since you came here to discuss academics, OSU's grad rate is about 25 percentage points lower than PSU's. Wanna 'splain that, Lucy? BTW, as a general matter I don't like these sorts of discussion, but you opened the door.
The difference in PSU's and OSU's Graduation Success Rate in football has averaged about 19% per year the last 3 years. GSR measures graduation rate within 6 years. Early entrants to the NFL, especially highly drafted players, often don't graduate within this time frame. OSU has had substantially more of these players than PSU. In fact, just 4 early entrant kids from a typical recruiting class accounts for the difference in GSR.

The difference in PSU's and OSU's Graduation Success Rate in football has averaged about 19% per year the last 3 years. GSR measures graduation rate within 6 years. Early entrants to the NFL, especially highly drafted players, often don't graduate within this time frame. OSU has had substantially more of these players than PSU. In fact, just 4 early entrant kids from a typical recruiting class accounts for the difference in GSR.

Nice try. Early entrants to the NFL are eliminated from the GSR calculations so long as they were in good academic standing when they left school.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Franklin does it right he looks at them as student athletes and tries to set them up for life. I would put our program against anyone’s for being successful in life. We may not be a CFP contender every year but our guys go on to have success after football. We have always placed many of them in the NFL and it is known around the league that Penn State players are dedicated hard working players.
This is the issue.....some schools promote football to attract revenue and students....while others want to be more on an academic path. PSU crucified JoePa, a man who gave so much....any question of PSU position?

Where Penn State really lags behind the Bamas and the Clemsons and the tosu’s is the $$

The idea that OSU cheats by under the table payments is a convenient scapegoat that is not born out by any evidence. Steve Deace a huge Michigan fan stated on his podcast that Brandon Brown of Wolverine Digest who has covered recruiting for 5 years has told Deace multiple times that when the list of cheaters in college athletics are brought up OSU is last on the list and almost never brought up. See 9:44 at

One of the most substantial reasons of OSU's success is extremely good coaching, such as Ryan Day and the qbs. People take for granted how good Fields was last year even though Fields came in late in the spring and didn't have comparatively that much time to learn the playbook and get familiar with his receivers. Also, the receiver's coach Brian Hartline turned Parris Campbell, who came in with stone hands, into a good receiver and a 2d round draft pick. Young players see who gets coached up the best and naturally want to go to that university. (See also DBs and defensive ends)

Additionally, there is the matter of talent evaluation. For instance, Chris Olave was not even rated as a top 65 receiver [ https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/chris-olave-wasnt-motivated-by-recruiting-rankings ]even though he had a great freshman yr. at OSU.

Documentation??

Documentation??
CPAiMHMqnjaJLt8atrvvkQIzoVMrKPXwgY3m16rLdBDCo87y6vU1Q2MlEmkMKwGHHrR1JHQaHX64PGwR0uLGoyTzfCIROz_i_KtxCZbnHA19XKr9LjTEPWVPQeKrMRFWuZ8

• JoePa had success with student athletes.
  • OSU had 2 All Americans opt out but then return. For some reason PSU players seem more eager to leave and get a start on their NFL careers.
  • Recruiting definitely has to improve, especially in PA. I don't think we're lokids like Flemming and Rucci because of high academic standards.
Academic standards are no different, lame excuse you sound like an ND fan when they lose a game. Might have to set up the level of $$$$ payments if you want to get the top 5* kids.

fields committed to PSU, seemed all-in for PSU, and then flipped to georgia. Then after a nonsensical RACISM. o_O claim in his first year at georgia, where he wasn’t playing, he transferred to Tosu without sitting out a year. Then we learned, before COVID. o_O , that he was only taking online classes at Tosu. He is a great player, a difference maker, but do you think PSU will ever get a player under these circumstances? We aren’t Harvard, but I just don’t see Penn State ever going to these lengths to get a talented player. We get him if he signs with us out of high school (straight-up process), but not with all the drama. We just don’t recruit this way.
A lot of athletes are taking most of their classes online if not all of them even before COVID

The idea that OSU cheats by under the table payments is a convenient scapegoat that is not born out by any evidence. Steve Deace a huge Michigan fan stated on his podcast that Brandon Brown of Wolverine Digest who has covered recruiting for 5 years has told Deace multiple times that when the list of cheaters in college athletics are brought up OSU is last on the list and almost never brought up. See 9:44 at

One of the most substantial reasons of OSU's success is extremely good coaching, such as Ryan Day and the qbs. People take for granted how good Fields was last year even though Fields came in late in the spring and didn't have comparatively that much time to learn the playbook and get familiar with his receivers. Also, the receiver's coach Brian Hartline turned Parris Campbell, who came in with stone hands, into a good receiver and a 2d round draft pick. Young players see who gets coached up the best and naturally want to go to that university. (See also DBs and defensive ends)

Additionally, there is the matter of talent evaluation. For instance, Chris Olave was not even rated as a top 65 receiver [ https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/chris-olave-wasnt-motivated-by-recruiting-rankings ]even though he had a great freshman yr. at OSU.
I agree about the coaching but it is also true that Maurice Clarett , Troy Smith , Terrell Pryor , and DE Young were all suspended for a time due to illegal payments made to them. Do you actually think those 4 are the only players getting them at OSU ? IF so I have a bridge to sell u.

I agree about the coaching but it is also true that Maurice Clarett , Troy Smith , Terrell Pryor , and DE Young were all suspended for a time due to illegal payments made to them. Do you actually think those 4 are the only players getting them at OSU ? IF so I have a bridge to sell u.
I think there are a lot less at OSU than other places and that the players receiving payments do not do so with the connivance of the coaches. Worth noting that none of the players above received large payments and that only Young was recent.

The best proof that the players are not receiving payments under the table, ironically, was tattoogate. Some star players didn't even have enough money to pay for tattoos and sold their own gear for $500 to $2000. Among the items sold were iconic keepsakes, such as gold pants which the players get for beating Michigan. If the players had any sophistication, they would know they would easily have buyers for gold pants for something like $50,000 if they were sold on Ebay or to huge OSU fans.

Here is my own experience from a long time ago. One of my best friends was a law school and history double major and had a well-known and highly recruited player in the class he taught as a TA. He flunked the player who did no work. Expected to hear something from someone in the athletic dept., but never did. (The player was highly recruited but not actually doing well at OSU and either left or was kicked out early)

The chief tutor for the football team was a member of my law school class (again a long time ago), and he was very active socially. Never heard a whisper of anything improper. One of the women in my class dated a starter at OSU -- again never heard a whisper. My class had about 200 students and if something was going on the chances of it leaking out were pretty good.

For today, you can go by the Michigan people who say that OSU is the last team mentioned when the issue of cheating comes up.

Documentation????

and Ohio State, then they must recruit like them. You recruit the athletic , not the student. You know they are going to leave before they get their degree, but you are not concerned about their education. You are concerned about how they are going to perform on the field and prepare them for Pro Football. Please don't give me this "but we do it the right way", The days of Joe Pa are gone, as are the days of College Football. College Football is a farm system for the Pro's.
We should pay the players. If you don’t, then have no expectation of winning.

ADVERTISEMENT