ADVERTISEMENT

if not obvious by now - we play in a tough MBB conference

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
and it only got tougher by adding Maryland. the BIG has faired pretty well this year, and other recent years. Chambers has this on upward trajectory, but this is not the easiest conference to turn the program around in.

BIG is every bit as good as ACC in MBB.

True, but PSU has a lot to offer, and there is a lot of talent in the region to recruit. If Northern Iowa can be in the tournament as a 5-seed, how can PSU not be in it at all?

By the way, did md's players shake the hands of the WVU players after last night's game?

I didn't see the game but I'd guess they did shake hands. There's no way Maryland's basketball coach is as much of a jerkoff as their football coach.

ACC is 11-1 in the tournament with 5 teams in Sweet 16

Originally posted by blion72:
and it only got tougher by adding Maryland. the BIG has faired pretty well this year, and other recent years. Chambers has this on upward trajectory, but this is not the easiest conference to turn the program around in.

Uh, no; B1G is a tough basketball conference, but not equal to the expanded ACC

Re: ACC is 11-1 in the tournament with 5 teams in Sweet 16

Originally posted by royboy:

Uh, no; B1G is a tough basketball conference, but not equal to the expanded ACC
Too hard to compare the matchups the B10 and the ACC have had in the tournament, one might have had easier games. How did the conferences do head to head?

What are you talking about. BIg Ten has 2 teams in the Sweet 16 and by all accounts, had a pretty bad tourney. ACC is destroying people and Pac 12 also had a nice run. Big Ten was as down this year as any year in the recent past.

In basketball one head to head game is meaningless for comparing teams

Look at the over-all body of work. 35 games not 1. If you think the B1G is beter, you're crazy. Watch the games.

Well

In the last six Big Ten ACC Challenge the Big Ten has won four and two have ended in ties. That's a sample of 72 games.

This year

it was 8-6 B 10 and BC was the ACC team that didn't participate.

Absolutely disagree. The ACC is blowing away the field in this tournament and that's how you distinguish yourself as a conference. Any head to head during the season means little. The ACC is superior and everyone in the country without a BigTen bias knows it.

Originally posted by Cletus11:
What are you talking about. BIg Ten has 2 teams in the Sweet 16 and by all accounts, had a pretty bad tourney. ACC is destroying people and Pac 12 also had a nice run. Big Ten was as down this year as any year in the recent past.
Hmmm. How'd the almighty ACC do against the Big Ten in this year's ACC/B1G Challenge? And what's the ACC's record against the B1G in this year's tourney? I think the ACC regular season Champion had to play against us yesterday? I haven't kept up. Thanks.

One thing I do know is that all the teams we recruit against out east in the New Big East and AAC have all been eliminated. Xavier in Ohio is the only one of the teams in those two Conferences left.

LOL....Yeah, the B1G was better this year!

Just got unlucky with the seedings, matchups, lighting, refs, luck, etc. The league stunk this year. Just admit it. One game early in the season doesn't mean squat in basketball. They're just not as important as NCAA Tournament games.

Any head to head during the season means little.

Sure wasn't your point of of view when OSU was selected for the football playoff.

Doug Gottlieb said the Big12 was the best conference this year

That was what the RPI said going in and he said this after their 0-3 start to the tournament. Had a tough time following his logic on that one, but I believe he said he palyed basketball at Okie St. That might have something to do with it.

Yeah, Gottlieb played at Okie State.

They didn't have as much of a problem with people ripping off credit cards as ND (an a lot of other schools) did.

Re: LOL....Yeah, the B1G was better this year!

Originally posted by Mister Magoo:

Just got unlucky with the seedings, matchups, lighting, refs, luck, etc. The league stunk this year. Just admit it. One game early in the season doesn't mean squat in basketball. They're just not as important as NCAA Tournament games.
Just curious. Will you say the league stunk if it ends up with 2 Final Four teams this year? It's not out of the question.

agreed, there's no argument when you go 11-1. Hats of to MSU for playing

well but UVa was running on fumes -- too many injuries and their modest offensive production became no production.

I'm not saying

the B 10 is better. But people saying it's not even close are wrong.

PSU over VT
Ind over Pitt
Rut over Clem
Iowa over UNC
Neb over FSU
Minn over WF
UM over Syr
Pur over NC State

You don't win that many games by luck.

Yes....Just like it stunk when OSU/UM dominated football

The top two don't make up for the dregs.

Comparing B 10 football in the 60s, 70s and 80s

to present B 10 basketball is asinine.

Re: Any head to head during the season means little.

Originally posted by WDLion:
Sure wasn't your point of of view when OSU was selected for the football playoff.
Of course not. Stating the obvious, football and basketball are completely different. You have 68 teams make the basketball playoffs, but only 4 in football. A team like Duke gets a #1 basketball seed with 4 losses, and other teams can make the tournament with 12/13/14 losses. As a result, regular season basketball games mean little, but every game in a football season is critical.

Gotta be a fun week in the Triangle, eh?

Nice to see the 3 teams in the Sweet Sixteen

NC State has a decent shot of coming out of that region, and I really like the way Duke is playing; tough matchup for the Heels, but not out of the question

Go on a national board and tell them the B1G is better than the ACC

You'll get laughed out of the forum.

Re: Gotta be a fun week in the Triangle, eh?

Gotta be a fun week in the Triangle, eh?[/URL] Nice to see the 3 teams in the Sweet Sixteen

NC State has a decent shot of coming out of that region, and I really like the way Duke is playing; tough matchup for the Heels, but not out of the question

Michigan State and Gonzaga will be coming out of those two Regions. Gonzaga will absolutely hammer Duke (if Duke gets by Utah).

I'll make a note of your Michigan State and Gonzaga picks

Originally posted by BUFFALO LION:

Gotta be a fun week in the Triangle, eh?[/URL] Nice to see the 3 teams in the Sweet Sixteen

Michigan State and Gonzaga will be coming out of those two Regions. Gonzaga will absolutely hammer Duke (if Duke gets by Utah).

I've thought that the Big ten was more of a basketball conference than a football conference over at least the last half decade.

Certainly from what I've heard and seen from sports talk nationally is that we have been much more respected as a hoops conference than in football. We get laughed at in football a lot but the only real criticism I hear about this conference nationally is that it is boring. Boring but good.

Did you ever read my previous post?

I never said the Big 10 was better.
However, anybody who thinks the challenge games aren't important to the players and the ACC teams don't care if they win those games are fools.

hmm...the Zags won't hammer anyone. I'm a big Sabonis fan but when Duke is Duke (and basketball fans know what I mean) I wouldn't bet against them. I think the Zags match up due to size and Pangos can do enough to settle and distribute. If they play, it should be a great game.

NC State is Michigan State (you could trade jerseys at halftime and no one would know in many respects) so again if things get that far its a toss up.

Somehow I think the Ville messes things up -- they are an insanely disturbing team to watch and no doubt coach. They are a true wildcard that can play at a high level and then disappear.

Oklahoma? Who knows? The Little 12 isn't that impressive so far.

Getting my beer and apps picked out. It is indeed fun to see the hometown teams in the Sweet 16. Wake will join them one of these years.

Congrats! Do we get a trophy for winning that?

The B1G is good at giving those out. They are just another OOC game. No more. No less.

I think with PSU coming out of the sanctions and JFF. OSU off of sanctions and Meyer. And now Harbaugh at Michigan. YOu will see the BIg Ten football go back up to compete with SEC for dominance. No doubt the SEC was the best conference the past decade, but the Big Ten did not help themselves with PSU being down and some other things that went on. OSU just proved they can beat an SEC team. I think PSU is Top 25 this year and will be Top 10 in 2017 (maybe 2016 if Hack stays). Harbaugh will have Michigan Top 25 this year and on the upswing. Throw in what D'Antonio is doing at MSU and bringing them to a legit Top 25 team. Nebraska will not be down for that long. WIscy is consistent.

As for BBall. No contest ACC is best conference this year. Duke, UNC, Louisville, ND, and NCState alll in the Sweet 16.

If you measure a conference in November well go ahead and make that statement. Elite programs in hoops get that way with March performances. 5 ACC teams in the Sweet 16 says volumes. Most definitely UNC, Louisville and Duke do not have their most experienced and dominant teams and yet they're still alive because that's what they do because they have elite HOF coaches. Izzo is in the same class. Maybe one day with the right hire State will get there too!

LOL

I'm sure if the ACC won the challenge you would be pointing to it as proof that they were a better conference.

Isn't one head to head the game the way they pick the champion?*

*(

Originally posted by BUFFALO LION:

The Duke-Utah game is the most interesting sweet 16 matchup. If Utah knocks them off, they may have a path to the final game. A rematch of the '98 final vs. Kentucky.

Re: In basketball one head to head game is meaningless for comparing teams

Originally posted by Mister Magoo:

Look at the over-all body of work. 35 games not 1. If you think the B1G is beter, you're crazy. Watch the games.
The entire body of work INCLUDES the regular season, which includes the B1G/ACC challenge.

Show me where I said that I think the B1G is "beter".

Re: Isn't one head to head the game the way they pick the champion?*

I'm pretty sure that is how Pitt ended up with 72 national titles in football. They simply state that all their loses are meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT