ADVERTISEMENT

(If it were up to you) should the Lions join the ACC or the $EC?

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

I hate the Big Ten, but if we went to the ACC we'd lose JF, most likely. We'd lose our recruiting revival. We'd lose a ton of BTN money. Our hockey team would have nobody to play.

Sigh. It can never happen.

Agree with the notion that the ACC is more inline with our traditional footprint. There would always be a place to play hockey...BC is in that conference for example. Also, I don't think JF would leave...if he rights the ship, we're a sure fire top 10 job no matter the conference.

I've never liked the notion that we should jump out of the Big Ten. It is just taking your ball and leaving because things don't go your way. If we jumped to another conference, we would be treated the same way. New kid on the block. I think we'd be viewed as someone who couldn't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, so we went to what we viewed as a lesser conference.

I met a guy this weekend that is a huge Michigan State fan. Their biggest fear of Penn State entering the Big Ten was that we were going to win everything, and they would have a tough time competing. They didn't have that fear of Nebraska, Maryland or Rutgers.

I'd rather prove the naysayers wrong. Let's compete with the upper echelon of the Big Ten. As the old commercial said - I'd rather fight than switch.

If we HAD to pick on, it's an easy choice... ACC. SEC would be too tough for a school like PSU to compete in, we would have to lower our standards or lose. The ACC would be a cakewalk, we would make the championship game most years.

You may see it as picking the ball up and going home but many see it as having a business partner that steals from you. They've been stealing since the mid-90s after they were butt-hurt when we came in, ran the table, and beat Ohio St like they had not thought possible. After that it was scheduling Michigan and Ohio St back to back each year often with them having a bye week before us. In addition, we've had how many games stolen by what may appear to be negligent calls but when the sum is taken into account, it is clearly intentional and disgracing the game. When the sanctions came down, instead of helping us, they piled on. They want PSU to be Northwestern. We have to go. They are stealing from us.

We need to be in the ACC. That is our geographical center of the alumni base, our natural rivals, and quite frankly a much nicer area than the rotting Midwest. The ACC's area is growing in population and economically. The Midwest is at best stagnant although much of it is deteriorating. I know there is more money in the B1G contract today but 20 years from now I think the ACC will easily surpass them even without us. Now put Penn State and Notre Dame in the ACC and the B1G is small potatoes. Just ask FSU if the ACC can win a national championship. The ACC is our home. It is time to go home not just taking our ball, but taking our business.

I've never liked the notion that we should jump out of the Big Ten. It is just taking your ball and leaving because things don't go your way. If we jumped to another conference, we would be treated the same way. New kid on the block. I think we'd be viewed as someone who couldn't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, so we went to what we viewed as a lesser conference.

I met a guy this weekend that is a huge Michigan State fan. Their biggest fear of Penn State entering the Big Ten was that we were going to win everything, and they would have a tough time competing. They didn't have that fear of Nebraska, Maryland or Rutgers.

I'd rather prove the naysayers wrong. Let's compete with the upper echelon of the Big Ten. As the old commercial said - I'd rather fight than switch.

Yea, who cares if they cheat, have zero-integrity, are hopelessly biased against PSU and garner way more in market share, NE regional exposure and revenues than any benefit PSU receives from this crap busb-league, cheating, zero-integrity conference? (e.g., PSU massively subsidizes the average program in the b1g Turd with its massive draw in the non-traditional NE & MA region - the notion that the b1g Turd is somehow subsidizing or enhancing PSU's revenues is absurd and always has been). The b1g Turd still owes PSU for our 2012 & 2013 bowl revenues which we're clearly taken outside, and in violation, of our contract with the zero-integrity conference. Why PSU has not sued the corrupt ten only the equally corrupt OG EC of BOT know.

neither, should form a BIG EAST or call it Atlantic nn. Bring back BC, Syracuse, MD, WVU, Pitt, Temple plus other regional teams like VT, VA, Cincinnati, etc.

Reactions: Fed Express

Neither option presents a better alternative than where we currently stand. Travel is negligible b/w the ACC and B1G. Academic benefits in B1G outweigh either option and the overall athletic department profile of PSU in terms of varsity sports is much more in line with B1G than the ACC or SEC. Finally, the next B1G TV deal will make it very clear why PSU isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: T J
You may see it as picking the ball up and going home but many see it as having a business partner that steals from you. They've been stealing since the mid-90s after they were butt-hurt when we came in, ran the table, and beat Ohio St like they had not thought possible. After that it was scheduling Michigan and Ohio St back to back each year often with them having a bye week before us. In addition, we've had how many games stolen by what may appear to be negligent calls but when the sum is taken into account, it is clearly intentional and disgracing the game. When the sanctions came down, instead of helping us, they piled on. They want PSU to be Northwestern. We have to go. They are stealing from us.

We need to be in the ACC. That is our geographical center of the alumni base, our natural rivals, and quite frankly a much nicer area than the rotting Midwest. The ACC's area is growing in population and economically. The Midwest is at best stagnant although much of it is deteriorating. I know there is more money in the B1G contract today but 20 years from now I think the ACC will easily surpass them even without us. Now put Penn State and Notre Dame in the ACC and the B1G is small potatoes. Just ask FSU if the ACC can win a national championship. The ACC is our home. It is time to go home not just taking our ball, but taking our business.
Joe worked to fix the Big 10's issues, and while it will take time, we can continue to fight the good fight. Sure, the ACC geographic footprint makes more sense. Bringing in Maryland & Rutgers will be long-term boons.

I'd much rather see us work to make a great conference better than knock ourselves down a block to muddy ourselves with the politics of Tobacco Road along with watch your back Donna Shalala.

Both the ACC and the SEC suck. They would be worse then the B!G with less money.

These kind of questions keep people stupid. Knock it off...

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

When the Big XII implodes would you rather see K State in the Mountain West or CUSA?? Sure my question presumes a lot but so does yours.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Stay in The B1G. I could care less about taking trips to high school stadiums in Boston, VA, Atlanta, and North Carolina. We get to play at Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and Baltimore every other year. Hell, even Rutgers packed in 58,000 for our game.

If we HAD to pick on, it's an easy choice... ACC. SEC would be too tough for a school like PSU to compete in, we would have to lower our standards or lose. The ACC would be a cakewalk, we would make the championship game most years.

Love your hubris...but we still have a way to go before we'll compete with Clemson and FSU.

neither, should form a BIG EAST or call it Atlantic nn. Bring back BC, Syracuse, MD, WVU, Pitt, Temple plus other regional teams like VT, VA, Cincinnati, etc.
Well, the ACC is realistically the closest thing to what you are suggesting. Other just won't happen. That said, unfortunately neither is Penn State leaving The Big Ten likely.

If it were up to me we would stay where we are. When ALL things are considered, we are in the best situation we could be in wrt conference membership. No other conference will give us everything the B1G does.

Reactions: T J
I believe that in 10 years give or take, conferences will cease to exist as we know now.
Power conferences will either be balanced geographically or by attendance and power.

HazletonLion,

Very interesting and glad someone else thinks this. It's too bad the decision makers haven't caught on to it yet. This whole realignment nonsense has created geographic inconsistencies and more importantly, the loss of a lot of great rivalry games. WVU, for instance has no business being in the Big 12 especially when their nearest "rival" is over 800 miles away. I think it may take more than 10 years, but it wouldn't surprise me if schools wise up and create 4 or 5 super conferences of 16 schools that fit that particular league's geographic footprint.

For academics, obviously, we would need to hold our nose to join either conference. The only realistic comparison is if the Ivy League decided to return to FBS level. As far as a purely football standpoint, only the SEC could be competitive with us at this time, as only FSU is good in the ACC right now. I would like to see an increased commitment among ACC members, but at this point it is much more attractive than the wretched and irrelevant slow-footed B1G!

I believe that in 10 years give or take, conferences will cease to exist as we know now.
Power conferences will either be balanced geographically or by attendance and power.

HazletonLion,

Very interesting and glad someone else thinks this. It's too bad the decision makers haven't caught on to it yet. This whole realignment nonsense has created geographic inconsistencies and more importantly, the loss of a lot of great rivalry games. WVU, for instance has no business being in the Big 12 especially when their nearest "rival" is over 800 miles away. I think it may take more than 10 years, but it wouldn't surprise me if schools wise up and create 4 or 5 super conferences of 16 schools that fit that particular league's geographic footprint.

Ranger Dan had a decent proposal for this a few weeks ago
Won't happen. I mean, you may get some geographic alignment as a byproduct, for instance if the Big Ten takes an ACC school or two and West Virginia fills that spot, but wholesale realignment for geography? Nope.

ADVERTISEMENT