ADVERTISEMENT

If it’s any consolation...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...m-saturdays-action/ar-AAHiOVZ?ocid=spartandhp
He’s not named Math Narduzzi:
If there were a weekly award for a coach who makes the worst time and score decision, Pitt’s Pat Narduzzi would have wrapped it up by happy hour. Trailing 17-10 to Penn State, the Panthers mounted a 10-play drive that got them all the way down to the 1-yard line with 4:59 remaining. On fourth down in that situation given the entire set of circumstances, there is no choice — you go for it, every time. You go for it, that is, unless you’re Narduzzi, who decided to kick a 19-yard field goal, watched it clank off the upright and lost the game....

Narduzzi is getting roasted for attempting a fg on 4th and 1 from the one. Narduzzi said it was a 2 score game anyway (wrong) and ESPN says the touchdown success rate on 4th & 1 is 70%.
Enjoy the show!

I don't think he'll ever live down that decision, at least as long as he's Pitt's head coach. I mean if he were to go on and lead Pitt to 3 or 4 NCs over the next 15 years or so then of course, no Pitt fan would care about the 4th and 1 at Penn State in 2019. But seeing as how having a chance to beat Penn State in what might be the final game of that series is likely Pitt's high water mark under Narduzzi, he's gonna hear about that call for a long, long time.

Narduzzi is getting roasted for attempting a fg on 4th and 1 from the one. Narduzzi said it was a 2 score game anyway (wrong) and ESPN says the touchdown success rate on 4th & 1 is 70%.
Enjoy the show!
I couldn’t believe what I saw on that series. He did try to run Pickett one play outside the tackle and Taylor stood him up in the backfield. Pitt had a 215 lb RB, four downs and less than a yard to go.
Credit our run defense, they were pretty damn stout yesterday.

Reactions: BBrown
Pickett went under center a bunch - why not sneak it at least once? I would’ve ran the sneak all 4 times.

His choice to kick there was an absolutely terrible call. Herbie and The Bear we’re destroying him on instagram last night. Also, sounds like Pickett and a couple of the other players had some backhanded comments about it too in the post game.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...m-saturdays-action/ar-AAHiOVZ?ocid=spartandhp
He’s not named Math Narduzzi:
If there were a weekly award for a coach who makes the worst time and score decision, Pitt’s Pat Narduzzi would have wrapped it up by happy hour. Trailing 17-10 to Penn State, the Panthers mounted a 10-play drive that got them all the way down to the 1-yard line with 4:59 remaining. On fourth down in that situation given the entire set of circumstances, there is no choice — you go for it, every time. You go for it, that is, unless you’re Narduzzi, who decided to kick a 19-yard field goal, watched it clank off the upright and lost the game....

nardoozie should add LionJim to handle the MATHS. :eek: .

I don't think he'll ever live down that decision, at least as long as he's Pitt's head coach. I mean if he were to go on and lead Pitt to 3 or 4 NCs over the next 15 years or so then of course, no Pitt fan would care about the 4th and 1 at Penn State in 2019. But seeing as how having a chance to beat Penn State in what might be the final game of that series is likely Pitt's high water mark under Narduzzi, he's gonna hear about that call for a long, long time.

Come on man. Pitt's performance yesterday will earn them No. 10 in their minuscule minds

Reactions: Madsol
Enjoy the show!
He didn’t say it was a two score game, he said they needed two scores to win...which was true. Even with a TD there, they still need another score (in OT or with a 2-point conversion) to beat us. I thought kicking the FG was a dumb call but not as dumb as his play selection on the first 3 tries from the 1-foot line.

Narduzzi makes ridiculous statements and stubborn in game choices choices so frequently it’s become his leading product. 5 years later and we’re still 3/4 of a football team. Congrats on the victory. I know it’s not a popular sentiment but I will miss the opportunity to play Penn St.

Yea I was sitting in NEU and thought thanks Pat you just helped us win the game.
Kudos to your DCord. he had an excellent game plan.
I have to say though your Dbacks (and team in general) probably should have had about 2 PF penalties called on them, some cheap shots.
Is the ACC officiating always this bad? I thought the B1G was bad but that was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a while at the Beav.
Met some of your fans before and after the game. I have to say they are much more pleasant than 95% of the posters on your site.
I grew up in Western PA so I am very familiar with the Rival. I for one am glad its ending. Its become ugly and frankly Narduzzi does not help matters. He really is an ass.

I honestly didn't have an issue with him going for a FG. Their running game was terrible yesterday. With how awful (yes they were that bad) PSU's offense was yesterday and how well his defense was playing they were going to get a few more chances to score a TD and win the game. We would have been sweating bullets if it was 17-13 when Pitt had the ball to end the game.

Pickett went under center a bunch - why not sneak it at least once? I would’ve ran the sneak all 4 times.

His choice to kick there was an absolutely terrible call. Herbie and The Bear we’re destroying him on instagram last night. Also, sounds like Pickett and a couple of the other players had some backhanded comments about it too in the post game.

I agree. I also think that with us on some of our shorter 1st downs. I call it the "Reggie Bush" rule but its now legal. Use it.

Gotta give the Dooz credit though... he had that team ready. They played great and played hard. This was midseason football. Very well played game. Couldnt end the series on a better note. Both teams deserved to win.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
For as long as Narduzzi is alive and Pitt fans breathe this will stick DEEP in their filthy sPitt craw. Along with 3 straight defeats to end the series. Perhaps forever as we may never play again !!! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !!!! I’ll sleep well for at least another two weeks. Very well.

Last edited:
I honestly didn't have an issue with him going for a FG. Their running game was terrible yesterday. With how awful (yes they were that bad) PSU's offense was yesterday and how well his defense was playing they were going to get a few more chances to score a TD and win the game. We would have been sweating bullets if it was 17-13 when Pitt had the ball to end the game.

I certainly had no issue when ‘Duzzi sent out his white flag errrrrrrkicking unit ... in fact, I nearly spit-up my beer....

if someone has to explain why that was a dopey move with less-than 5:00 remaining ...

Look I get it, and this isn't to defend Duzzi but had he made the FG then they (the Monday morning QBs) wouldn't be chastising him so much. Why not. Because Pitt got the ball back and was driving. Just maybe that played into his thought process. Has our offense shown much propensity for killing the clock. Think OSU and MSU last year. Indiana, too. With the same O coordinator. Rahne (pronounced "Ronny") is going to kill us in conference play.

He didn’t say it was a two score game, he said they needed two scores to win...which was true. Even with a TD there, they still need another score (in OT or with a 2-point conversion) to beat us. I thought kicking the FG was a dumb call but not as dumb as his play selection on the first 3 tries from the 1-foot line.

Sorry, but I've never heard of the conversion considered a score, meaning when you're down by 7 you're down 2 scores because you need the TD and the conversion. Being down by 2 scores is being down by at least 9. If Duzzi said something to the contrary, he was wrong.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of coaches, college and pro, that insist on throwing with the ball at the one yard line. I'm running the ball 4 times in a row in that situation. Takes time off the clock, too, so the opponent has less time to score after the TD.

Look I get it, and this isn't to defend Duzzi but had he made the FG then they (the Monday morning QBs) wouldn't be chastising him so much. Why not. Because Pitt got the ball back and was driving. Just maybe that played into his thought process. Has our offense shown much propensity for killing the clock. Think OSU and MSU last year. Indiana, too. With the same O coordinator. Rahne (pronounced "Ronny") is going to kill us in conference play.
I gotta believe the odds are way better on making the 4th and 1 play than getting the ball back for one more series and still having to drive the length of the field to get a TD.

Reactions: rohrmd9
Sorry, but I've never heard of the conversion considered a score, meaning when you're down by 7 you're down 2 scores because you need the TD and the conversion. Being down by 2 scores is being down by at least 9. If Duzzi said something to the contrary, he was wrong.
that’s what I was pointing out...Duzz didn’t say they were down by two scores (as someone stated). He said they needed to score twice to beat us. That was his reasoning for opting for a fg try. Okay yea he could’ve scored once and then taken the lead with a successful 2-point conversion but if he had scored a TD there, I seriously doubt he goes for two. So in his mind, he needed two scores to win.

Reactions: Madsol
I gotta believe the odds are way better on making the 4th and 1 play than getting the ball back for one more series and still having to drive the length of the field to get a TD.
Agree, which is why I was stunned at the fg call. Go for the td and then if your defense holds....even if you don’t score again the game goes to OT.

Agree, which is why I was stunned at the fg call. Go for the td and then if your defense holds....even if you don’t score again the game goes to OT.

Earlier in that drive, they went for it on 4th and 1 at their own 43. It seemed odd not to go for it. Worst case was not getting it and making PSU start from their 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT