ADVERTISEMENT

If I could have JoePa back for one characteristic to instill in our program's DNA it was his eye for talent. I remember when A. Rob and Bolton .....

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
came in as freshman and and everyone said you signed Robinson to Land Bolton (The higher star player at the time). He was very direct and adamant when he stated that "This Robinson kid will go down as an exceptional player... "

Reactions: vslice02
came in as freshman and and everyone said you signed Robinson to Land Bolton (The higher star player at the time). He was very direct and adamant when he stated that "This Robinson kid will go down as an exceptional player... "

Joe predicted MRob would make the pro bowl as a fullback....which he did.....

In the context of today’s college football, I am not convinced there is a whole lot Joe could contribute in terms of Xs and Os or player evaluation. But l do believe he had some unmatched qualities that would be welcome, including his understanding of the the role of the program in raising up the greater university, he had a love and appreciation for the Liberal Arts in building well-rounded humans, and overall leadership qualities.

Joe had his share of misses as well, just like all coaches.

The title of your post implies that CJF doesn’t have that quality and if you think that’s so, you couldn’t be more wrong. There have been many prospects that we have gotten in on the ground floor with early in the process, the message boards go nuts, asking why are we offering this kid, only to have them blow up later.

Nope. Good, but not distinctly better, ability to evaluate talent.

Well above average game day coach.

Strong recruiter.

Lots of coaches today are better at those things.

But what a leader! A great man. The absolute best this country had to offer.

We sure could use that today in this world of useless CEOs and cutout board members.

I mean, look what we are left with - Sandy Barbour, Barron, et al.

Robinson came in after Bolden. I think it was soon clear to everyone that Robinson had to be pretty good if he could catch those errant missiles.

Franklin has a great eye for talent. Under Joe our defense was tougher and didn’t have to take an entire first half to make adjustments. Sometimes I don’t know who was worse, Pry or Roof. Under Roof we at least forced turnovers

Reactions: ftlpsu and bison13
The press got it's revenge.
As did you.....almost..

We Are....and we Don’t Forget.

Your latest attempt at trying to ingratiate yourself with this board after all the negative things you typed about JoePa during his and PSU’s weakest moments is downright despicable.

I rarely forget and I never forgive. You’re pinned and I’m not letting you leave the mat.

Last edited:
Ask Paul Jones, Jimmy Cefalo or Michael Robinson about what was Joe's greatest character trait? He made better men out of all of them, not players but men. Their contributions to society became much better as a result of Joe. He wasn't perfect but he knew how to mold men.

Nope. Good, but not distinctly better, ability to evaluate talent.

Well above average game day coach.

Strong recruiter.

Lots of coaches today are better at those things.

But what a leader! A great man. The absolute best this country had to offer.

We sure could use that today in this world of useless CEOs and cutout board members.

I mean, look what we are left with - Sandy Barbour, Barron, et al.
Better game day coach than JoePa? Check his bowl record, wins on road on #1s in Nation, etc.

Better recruiters? Check number of PSU players in NFL vs other teams during his tenure.

You underestimate the man..,

Reactions: Fac
Better game day coach than JoePa? Check his bowl record, wins on road on #1s in Nation, etc.

Better recruiters? Check number of PSU players in NFL vs other teams during his tenure.

You underestimate the man..,

Fair enough.

ADVERTISEMENT