ADVERTISEMENT

"If everything isn't black and white, I say 'Why the hell not?' Words from an American icon

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
who died today in 1979. Marion Morrison, better known as John Wayne. He also said "Courage is being scared to death..and saddling up anyway." and "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid". I don't think he did a single movie I didn't like but my personal favorite was "The Horse Soldiers". RIP "Duke".

john-wayne.jpg

who died today in 1979. Marion Morrison, better known as John Wayne. He also said "Courage is being scared to death..and saddling up anyway." and "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid". I don't think he did a single movie I didn't like but my personal favorite was "The Horse Soldiers". RIP "Duke".

john-wayne.jpg

john-wayne.jpg
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid".

Just one more chicken-hawk imo
Well, he tried to join the navy but was denied. He played football at USC in 1924, under a scholarship, but broke his collar bone and quit (body surfing). He was 34 when the Germans bombed Pearl so was exempt (as well as having a kid and being having deferment for that). He also tried to join the OSS (today's CIA).

Reactions: fairgambit
Was this necessary? When we watch his movies, we're being reminded that he was great at his chosen profession, why isn't this enough of a reason to celebrate his memory? We all have our foibles.
That's well said, Jim. His military status has been subject to debate over the years and some recent information has put it in a more favorable light, but that aside, he was a very popular actor and by most accounts, a gifted one.

Was this necessary? When we watch his movies, we're being reminded that he was great at his chosen profession, why isn't this enough of a reason to celebrate his memory? We all have our foibles.

Yes, because to my mind draft dodging is not affordable. Sorry that you view it so lightly

Yes, because to my mind draft dodging is not affordable. Sorry that you view it so lightly
Affordable. Wtf. Sorry, "the new board" has me writing on my phone. Too old for this $h!/$. I meant excusable

john-wayne.jpg
That's well said, Jim. His military status has been subject to debate over the years and some recent information has put it in a more favorable light, but that aside, he was a very popular actor and by most accounts, a gifted one.
I like many of his movies and think he was an underrated actor. The problem is it is an image based on false assumptions and many people try to make it more than that. He was not a hero, but only played one. People pretend to confuse the Sands of Iowa Jima with reality. Many WWII vets at the time were very scornful of Wayne and his image. When he became politically outspoken many embraced him as some kind of real symbol for their own purposes. Sort of like Clint Eastwood, who was drafted but accused of avoiding combat by romancing an officer's daughter.
If you want a military icon, look up Audie Murphy - he actually was what he pretended to be in the movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

It is clear he did not serve. The question is why? As I indicated, there has been much debate about his military status over the years and more recent documents found in the National Archives, and elsewhere, reflect more favorably upon his efforts to serve and the reasons he did not. That said, I am not going to get into a debate about this. Some will believe he dodged the draft, just as some believe Bill Clinton did. I will just ask people to review all sides of the arguments in both cases and make their own decision.

john-wayne.jpg

Some of the most enjoyable movie experience........
Stagecoach
Reap the Wild Wind
They Were Expendable
Red River
The Quiet Man
The High and The Mighty
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Donovan's Reef
McLintock
In Harm's Way
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn

I like many of his movies and think he was an underrated actor. The problem is it is an image based on false assumptions and many people try to make it more than that. He was not a hero, but only played one. People pretend to confuse the Sands of Iowa Jima with reality. Many WWII vets at the time were very scornful of Wayne and his image. When he became politically outspoken many embraced him as some kind of real symbol for their own purposes. Sort of like Clint Eastwood, who was drafted but accused of avoiding combat by romancing an officer's daughter.
If you want a military icon, look up Audie Murphy - he actually was what he pretended to be in the movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy
I did not call him a hero, or a military icon. He was neither. I called him an American icon and he was.

It is clear he did not serve. The question is why? As I indicated, there has been much debate about his military status over the years and more recent documents found in the National Archives, and elsewhere, reflect more favorably upon his efforts to serve and the reasons he did not. That said, I am not going to get into a debate about this. Some will believe he dodged the draft, just as some believe Bill Clinton did. I will just ask people to review all sides of the arguments in both cases and make their own decision.
He was 34 and not eligible for the draft. He could have enlisted, in fact tried to join the navy in the 20s. He could have enlisted but was married with a child.

I did not call him a hero, or a military icon. He was neither. I called him an American icon and he was.
OK, he is an icon to you and some others. Not to the war vets who booed him when he visited a hospital. His war movies, from Iwo to Green Berets treated war look like child's play in which there was no PTSD and America was always 100% right. Actually, his westerns were much much better.
Some reality:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120319063837AAOWxzZ

He was 34 and not eligible for the draft. He could have enlisted, in fact tried to join the navy in the 20s. He could have enlisted but was married with a child.
There is also evidence in the National Archives of his efforts to join the O.S.S. (today's C.I.A). Like a lot of issues, whatever position you take on his military status, there is evidence to support it. The last thing I expected when I noted his death was a debate about his military service, but given the nature of this Board, I should have expected it. Not much can be posted here anymore that is not subject to attack.

OK, he is an icon to you and some others. Not to the war vets who booed him when he visited a hospital. His war movies, from Iwo to Green Berets treated war look like child's play in which there was no PTSD and America was always 100% right. Actually, his westerns were much much better.
Some reality:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120319063837AAOWxzZ
Clearly we disagree about who is an "American icon". By most definitions, Oprah is an American icon. So is Andy Warhol. Neither served in the military. This "debate" has gotten absurd. I will say again, John Wayne is an American Icon. Icon does not equate to military service or to being a hero. If you disagree, so be it.

No. If you disagree you're...well...dumb. Of course Wayne is/was an American icon.

i·con
ˈīˌkän/
noun
  1. 2.
    a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.
    "this iron-jawed icon of American manhood"
    synonyms: idol, paragon, hero, heroine;

Clearly we disagree about who is an "American icon". By most definitions, Oprah is an American icon. So is Andy Warhol. Neither served in the military. This "debate" has gotten absurd. I will say again, John Wayne is an American Icon. Icon does not equate to military service or to being a hero. If you disagree, so be it.
OK if you accept that "icon" isn't always a compliment, as your post implies it is - not to compare with an actor and to take an extreme, Hitler was a German icon. Wayne was an icon of those who favor simple-minded blind machismo nationalism.
Oprah is an "icon" based on her ability to influence pop culture and mold mass opinions. That is valid.
Warhol is an "icon" based on his art. That is valid.
Monroe is an "icon" based on her beauty and glamor. That is valid.
Wayne is an "icon" based on his macho image as a hero. I am just pointing out how totally divorced from reality that is.
People who consider Wayne an "icon" are those who agree with your subject line that "everything is black or white".
And who maybe agree with some of the other things he said:
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from the Indians. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and they were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”
"I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility."
That's the real agenda.

OK if you accept that "icon" isn't always a compliment, as your post implies it is -
I didn't read past your 1st line because it is a mischaracterization of what I posted. I did not say "icon" was always a compliment, nor did I imply as much. I used the word properly and any dictionary will support my usage. Whether you like him or not, John Wayne was an American icon. That is my final word to you on this subject.

Did you notice in the old Cisco Kid TV series, Pancho and Cisco never changed clothes? PEW! This went on in lots of western shows.

john-wayne.jpg

I didn't read past your 1st line because it is a mischaracterization of what I posted. I did not say "icon" was always a compliment, nor did I imply as much. I used the word properly and any dictionary will support my usage. Whether you like him or not, John Wayne was an American icon. That is my final word to you on this subject.

Gambit, you'll live a longer and happier life if you stop arguing with those who prove, time and again, that they are in the "life is harder if..." category.

john-wayne.jpg
I think the perfect response to the question in the subject line: "If everything isn't black and white, I say 'Why the hell not?'" is contained in another quote from the post: "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid".

Life, the universe, relations with other people: they sometimes admit of simple solutions, but often not. Einstein is often quoted on the subject thusly; "Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler." that is not exactly what he said, but this is how it was rendered by him in 1933: It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience.

No one doubts that Einstein was an icon of science, but not, perhaps, of language. How ironic that Einstein's most famous quote had to be simplified in order to have broad application. My recent favorite band is called Drive by Truckers. One of their songs is "The Sands of Iwo Jima" about an old guy, "George A" who fought on Iwo. The narrator as a little kid was watching a black and white movie with old George A and they watched "Sands." George A says "I never saw John Wayne on the sands of Iwo Jima."

George A. was at the movies in December '41
They announced it in the lobby what had just gone on
He drove up from Birmingham back to the family's farm
Thought he'd get him a deferment there was much work to be done
He was a family man, even in those days
But Uncle Sam decided he was needed anyway
In the South Pacific over half a world away
He believed in God and Country, things was just that way

Just that way....

When I was just a kid I spent every weekend
On the farm that he grew up on so I guess so did I
And we'd stay up watching movies on the black and white TV
We watched "The Sands of Iwo Jima" starring John Wayne

Every year in June George A. goes to a reunion
Of the men that he served with and their wives and kids and grandkids
My Great Uncle used to take me and I'd watch them recollect
About some things I couldn't comprehend

And I thought about that movie, asked if it was that way
He just shook his head and smiled at me in such a loving way
As he thought about some friends he will never see again
He said "I never saw John Wayne on the sands of Iwo Jima"

Most of those men are gone now but he goes still every year
And George A's still doing fine, especially for his years
He's still living on that homestead in the house that he was born in
And I sure wish I could go see him today

He never drove a new car though he could easily afford it
He'd just buy one for the family and take whatever no one wanted
He said a shiny car didn't mean much after all the things he'd seen
George A. never saw John Wayne on the sands of Iwo Jima

Reactions: Judge Smails
All due respect to the Duke, Clint was/is a FAR superior cowboy (and actor), and has proven to be an accomplished director and musician as well. Not to suggest that JW hasn't deserved his icon status...I just prefer CE's overall body of work.

All due respect to the Duke, Clint was/is a FAR superior cowboy (and actor), and has proven to be an accomplished director and musician as well. Not to suggest that JW hasn't deserved his icon status...I just prefer CE's overall body of work.

Music Appreciation class: John Wayne was the first singing cowboy! Strummed a guitar and sang a song riding into town in an early movie of his. FWIW.

Music Appreciation class: John Wayne was the first singing cowboy! Strummed a guitar and sang a song riding into town in an early movie of his. FWIW.
Typical of those who buy into the phony image and are immune to facts about their "hero":
1. He was NOT the first singing cowboy.
2. He did "sing" but his voice was dubbed, he was lip synching. (It figures.)
Unlike those who want to make him more than he was, Wayne admitted he didn't sing.

Again: I liked some of Wayne's movies, especially the early westerns, but his phony simple-minded image is used by a certain ideological strain to promote a nonsensical version of patriotism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_cowboy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT