ADVERTISEMENT

If anyone pays attention to "market stuff".....

For fun -- I'd bet that can't is the contraction for can not, not cannot. I think cannot is sort of modern.

Sorry. It's late. I'm bored.

Hey, mn78, have you read Michael Lewis's, 'The Undoing Project'? I'm about 70 pages in and, as with all of Lewis's books, I recommend it. So far, much of what I've read reminds me of all the JS discussions over the years.

"The human mind was just bad at seeing things it did not expect to see, and a bit too eager to see what it expected to see."

"Of Danny Kahnemann's many doubts the most curious were the ones he had about his own memory. He'd delivered entire semesters of lectures straight from his head without a note. To his students he'd seemed to have memorized entire textbooks, and he wasn't shy about asking them to do it, too. And yet when he was asked about some event in his past, he'd say that he didn't trust his memory and so you shouldn't, either."
Will check out the Lewis book. Thanks.

^^^ So this post is both 7 and 8?

200_s.gif
I'll be more careful henceforth.:D

Reactions: 91Joe95
For fun -- I'd bet that can't is the contraction for can not, not cannot. I think cannot is sort of modern.

Sorry. It's late. I'm bored.

Hey, mn78, have you read Michael Lewis's, 'The Undoing Project'? I'm about 70 pages in and, as with all of Lewis's books, I recommend it. So far, much of what I've read reminds me of all the JS discussions over the years; more specifically, Mike McQueary, what he heard, what he saw and his recall of those things.

"The human mind was just bad at seeing things it did not expect to see, and a bit too eager to see what it expected to see."

"Of Danny Kahnemann's many doubts the most curious were the ones he had about his own memory. He'd delivered entire semesters of lectures straight from his head without a note. To his students he'd seemed to have memorized entire textbooks, and he wasn't shy about asking them to do it, too. And yet when he was asked about some event in his past, he'd say that he didn't trust his memory and so you shouldn't, either."

"Why does a person's understanding of what he sees change with the context in which he sees it."
I have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Reactions: demlion
Kahnemann's book. I'll take a look once I finish this one and a few others. Thanks.
Kahneman's book is one of the top ten nonfiction books I have ever read. There is an application for it in almost everything I ever do, from cutting firewood to trying cases to speaking with domestic batterers.

Reactions: artsandletters
Kahneman's book is one of the top ten nonfiction books I have ever read. There is an application for it in almost everything I ever do, from cutting firewood to trying cases to speaking with domestic batterers.
I just read in 'The Undoing Project' that Kahneman designed and implemented the process by which Israeli soldiers are selected for various disciplines ... when he was 21. The system is in use today with minor changes. The Israeli military was a mess back then, post statehood. One of the basics is to eliminate your gut feelings, as he had determined them unreliable.

When he decided that he needed to get a PhD in psychology to broaden his knowledge he chose to go to Berkeley instead of Harvard. He felt he wasn't smart enough for Harvard. Interesting, the selection process he used for himself.

Last edited:
Wow! And I thought oil prices were low because technology (horizontal & deeper drilling) increased supply faster than the economy (demand) has grown. Also because oil is priced in dollars and the dollar is strong against most other world currencies.

World-Liquids-Production-and-Oil-Price-in-2016-Dollars-1-1-1024x700.jpg

Sure, that's the ticket :) AND very adorable :) But that's what makes it work. "If God did not want them sheered he would not have made them sheep". Think for yourself, man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT