ADVERTISEMENT

Idaho LB does a solid for KJ Hamler

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Advice for Hamler
Receiver KJ Hamler caught two touchdown passes and totaled 159 all-purpose yards in showcasing his promising connection with Clifford. He also received some appreciated advice from an Idaho linebacker.

Walker, who led the Vandals with eight tackles, sought Hamler after the game to explain that the receiver had a “tell.” Depending on where he lined up, Hamler was tipping his routes, allowing the Vandals to read some plays.

So even in a 72-point win, Hamler learned something he needed to correct.

“I thought it was very cool,” Hamler said. "… It’s something I never experienced before, but I really appreciated that."

https://www.mcall.com/sports/penn-s...0190901-our4fl6cqzhprd7kmy6xpj22xy-story.html

Advice for Hamler
Receiver KJ Hamler caught two touchdown passes and totaled 159 all-purpose yards in showcasing his promising connection with Clifford. He also received some appreciated advice from an Idaho linebacker.

Walker, who led the Vandals with eight tackles, sought Hamler after the game to explain that the receiver had a “tell.” Depending on where he lined up, Hamler was tipping his routes, allowing the Vandals to read some plays.

“I thought it was very cool,” Hamler said. "… It’s something I never experienced before, but I really appreciated that."

https://www.mcall.com/sports/penn-s...0190901-our4fl6cqzhprd7kmy6xpj22xy-story.html

Nice story. That was a class act by the Idaho Vandal. BTW, Vandals has to be one of the best names in college football.

Over a hundred yards in receptions and two touchdowns ( one with not a Vandal in the same zip code ). Imagine what he would have done if they didn’t know where he was going!!!!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I know that all teams self scout themselves, but this is certainly helpful.

It seems like self scouting should have identified something as simple as how a player lines up. Maybe it was how he positioned his hands or feet. I can remember from junior high football the coaches would emphasize maintaining a consistent stance when lining up for a play to avoid what Hamler was apparently doing. Maybe Franklin should add some Idaho coaches to the names in his binder.

My last game in high school our coaches picked up a tell on the opposing qb. If he looked left coming out of the huddle, they ran left. If he looked right, they ran right. If he looked straight ahead, they passed.
Guess who lead the team in tackles. I sold out on every play.

Could be something as simple as which foot forward OR spacing: an in-route starting a couple steps further outside or an out-route starting a couple steps further inside.

In any event, a very CLASSY move by the Idaho player.

For all we know, it could have even been something that comes across on the field but wouldn’t show up on tape - for example, maybe Hamler looks at the guy covering him when he’s going deep, and looks somewhere else when he’s not. That might not show up on tape but someone covering him would see it.

I think I also remember seeing that we don’t typically fully self-scout until the first bye week.

Advice for Hamler

When ChiTownLion is the OP, get busy reading! LOL!
Thanks for the excellent legwork ChiTownLion! ;)

It seems like self scouting should have identified something as simple as how a player lines up. Maybe it was how he positioned his hands or feet. I can remember from junior high football the coaches would emphasize maintaining a consistent stance when lining up for a play to avoid what Hamler was apparently doing. Maybe Franklin should add some Idaho coaches to the names in his binder.
Why don't you watch his film and let us know

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
My last game in high school our coaches picked up a tell on the opposing qb. If he looked left coming out of the huddle, they ran left. If he looked right, they ran right. If he looked straight ahead, they passed.
Guess who lead the team in tackles. I sold out on every play.
Vinny Testeverde/Miami in the Fiesta Bowl 1987 National Championship game did something that your opposing QB did. Our D coaches picked up that Vinny looked to where he was likely to throw the ball from the time he broke the huddle. That’s why we had three linebackers in position to make the game winning interception.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You mean his binder entitled "coaches that are better than those we have at PSU?" From what I read here that is every coach in America not currently on the PSU staff. Our coaches have so much to learn.....and we have only so much free time to school them.

Advice for Hamler

Very good sportsmanship on his part!!

Thank you for posting Chi!!!

Vinny Testeverde/Miami in the Fiesta Bowl 1987 National Championship game did something that your opposing QB did. Our D coaches picked up that Vinny looked to where he was likely to throw the ball from the time he broke the huddle. That’s why we had three linebackers in position to make the game winning interception.

That plus the fact that Vinny is ACTUALLY COLOR-BLIND I BELIEVE.

Coaches can’t catch everything. You must be perfect at your job. Never miss a typo or an email. Never forget or miss anything. We have no clue what it was. It could have been something very minute.

Reactions: Springcity
ADVERTISEMENT